Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 11:02:19 AM EDT
Hello all, a newbie here with questions about building a california Legal ar15.

1 Any other California Legal receivers besides the FAB10?

2 Barrel Length? I've been told minimum barrel length for California is actually 16 1/2 inches. So no 16 inch carbines? Truth or BS?

3 Overall length? whats the minimum?

Any other California builders out there?

thanks

Brian
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello all, a newbie here with questions about building a california Legal ar15.

1 Any other California Legal receivers besides the FAB10?

[b]DMPS has a single shot.  Gogogadgets was bought out & FAB-10's are now $100 more.[/b]

2 Barrel Length? I've been told minimum barrel length for California is actually 16 1/2 inches. So no 16 inch carbines? Truth or BS?

[b]BS...16 inches for barrel, at least 30 inches for the finished rifle.[b]

3 Overall length? whats the minimum?

[b]See above[/b]

Any other California builders out there?

[b]Some more of us at [url]www.calguns.net[/url][/b]

thanks

Brian
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=159037]California Lowers- an update[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
well now I know the truth. . .

thanks for that link,even gave me the name of a local gun shop.too bad that the receiver is gonna run me about $300.

Next question,after I buy the receiver,who are the best people to go to for the uppers?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoeless Ventures (FAB-10 makers) said that Bushmasters will fit the best, and have less tendency to rattle.. I put a 20" Bushy upper on mine because I've heard more good things about them than other companies (on a sheer volume basis) and also because I figured it wouldnt hurt to support a company who is in a legal battle with idiot family members (and gun control groups - AKA: Fascist Liberal scumbags) of the victims of the Beltway "Snipers"

-Lee
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Why spend all that money when you can go out of state and get the real thing for 100.00?? The Fab 10 is just a rip off.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]
yes, but bringing that $100 receiver back to California is a felony and Yes the State of California will be more then happy to put you jail for a year or two ( hmmm gives new meaning to the supreme court ruling on sodomy today, but thats a personal right I choose not to exercise, ewwwwww ick barf ) if they catch you.

sooooo spend an extra $200 or risk butt rape. . . .

anyway, another legal question, can I buy a standard ar15 receiver say in Nevada and keep it with a family member out of state?

just trade uppers between the two receivers, one for Cali and one for Nevada?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why spend all that money when you can go out of state and get the real thing for 100.00?? The Fab 10 is just a rip off.
View Quote

How fortunate you are to live in a "Free State" that allows such things as "normal" AR's.

For those of us stuck in this God-Forbidden State the Fab-10 IS NOT a ripoff! I happen to own one of the first ones and it functions flawlessly. Ten rounds is plenty for those who understand proper sight picture and trigger control!

Besides, what you spend on magazines I can spend on extra ammo instead...

[beer]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
-  BTW - does bushmaster sell kits? or buy a complete rifle and leave the receiver out of state? hmmm  ( I 'd rather build from scratch )

Shoeless Ventures (FAB-10 makers) said that Bushmasters will fit the best, and have less tendency to rattle.. I put a 20" Bushy upper on mine because I've heard more good things about them than other companies (on a sheer volume basis) and also because I figured it wouldnt hurt to support a company who is in a legal battle with idiot family members (and gun control groups - AKA: Fascist Liberal scumbags) of the victims of the Beltway "Snipers"

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Though the Bushmasters are great, you can use any upper you like. I have FABs with Bushmaster, DPMS, "G-P" and USGI uppers, and only the USGI has any play, but its old and has been around.
In answer to your question, yes, Bushmaster will sell just the upper assembly, but it will be cheaper to buy from one of their dealers. Of course you can find ANYTHING here on the [url=ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=7]EE[/url]!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Fab 10 is just a rip off.
View Quote

How fortunate you are to live in a "Free State" that allows such things as "normal" AR's.

For those of us stuck in this God-Forbidden State the Fab-10 IS NOT a ripoff!
View Quote

The reason that the FABs are $300. is that there is no competition. While the FABs are great, because we can have them, there is no material reason that they're not ~$100 like other, American, lowers are. In that respect, they are a rip-off.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:anyway, another legal question, can I buy a standard ar15 receiver say in Nevada and keep it with a family member out of state?
View Quote

Legally, no.  Although federal law allows anybody to purchase long guns (or receivers for 'em) in any state, the transaction has to be legal in both the buyer's and seller's states.  Since the Kalifornistan regime has banned residents from purchasing evel aw receivers, it's, legally, a no go.  The operative word in your question is 'can', v. 'may'.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
What about fixing one of the BM 10-rounders into the magwell, like with a nut instead of the mag release button?  I remember a link in The Armory to something similar for an FAL.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]
AR15 is banned by name.No matter what you do to the receiver it is a banned item,period.

FAL's are not banned by name,so their status depends on how they are put together.Add enough bad parts and you have an assault weapon.

Adding a fixed mag to a FAL is one of my options besides building a FAB10 type rifle.

Quoted:
What about fixing one of the BM 10-rounders into the magwell, like with a nut instead of the mag release button?  I remember a link in The Armory to something similar for an FAL.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm in the  military and about to do a change of duty assignment to Fort Irwin, CA.  I have a RRA Standard A4 that I use for IPSC three-gun.  Anybody up to speed on the specific laws that apply to my AR and whether I can bring it with me?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#15]
It is possible to bring your AR into California as an active duty military member. You'll have to come in without the weapons and then apply for the permit from the California DOJ.

Ft. Irwin is federal property and California state laws on firearms don't apply within the fence line as I understand. You'll have to clear it with the armory etc. on the process of bringing the weapons onto base.

Have a look in the Hometown/California board for my instructional post.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Paul,
Thanks for the info.  I have been slowly reading through all the regs/laws on the DOJ website since I last posted.  Amen for living in the Southeast all my life.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#17]
as I understand it,he can never take the firearm off base.It must also be locked in the armory at all times ( army regs? )unless its being used on the shooting range.

Dear God, please give me strength to deal with this nonsense.hmmm maybe i'll move to Iraq. Still legal to own all sorts of firearms over their.

Quoted:
It is possible to bring your AR into California as an active duty military member. You'll have to come in without the weapons and then apply for the permit from the California DOJ.

Ft. Irwin is federal property and California state laws on firearms don't apply within the fence line as I understand. You'll have to clear it with the armory etc. on the process of bringing the weapons onto base.

Have a look in the Hometown/California board for my instructional post.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
as I understand it,he can never take the firearm off base.It must also be locked in the armory at all times ( army regs? )unless its being used on the shooting range.

Dear God, please give me strength to deal with this nonsense.hmmm maybe i'll move to Iraq. Still legal to own all sorts of firearms over their.
View Quote

Actually, he can take it off post, just like any other out-of-state resident, provided he's transporting to or from, or participating in, an organized shooting competition using it.  He can't take it off post to go plinking, though, unless he obtains a DOJ "AW registration".
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the input.  According to the DOJ website I can apply for an assault weapons permit as well.  
Paul,
  As for moving to Iraq, I just came down from there 6 days ago...plenty of weapons...my company set up operations inside a military compound we seized, the compound was like a supply depot.  One building was full of every soviet style weapon you can name.  AK's, Dragonov's, RPK's, 12.7mm's, RPG's.  And the great thing was they were all in the wrapper with the packing grease.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#20]
new in wrap,ahhhhhhh.

but its a bit too warm,maybe Finland.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top