Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2003 6:05:58 AM EDT
When fitting a upper and lower is it best to take off of the uppers rear lug or open up the lower receiver?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you re-state what you are asking?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd rather remove metal from the upper receiver.  But only as a last resort.  If they fit that badly, I'd try to find out which part is out of spec and replace it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Oohhh i see, you are talking about modifying the upper/lower for a tight fit.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes. I'm trying to fit a upper to a lower. The upper fits into the lower with out any side to side play. But the upper doesn't slide to the rear enough for the take down pins to slide in. I've noticed on my Bushy that the rear area where the lug goes has more metal removed.

[img]http://www.harveys-supermarkets.com/graphics/Inside.jpg[/img]
My Bushy doesn't have as much metal where the arrow is pointing. The upper fits fine in my Bushy lower because of this. Which way is right?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Suggest you only take material off the upper. It's an easier part to modify, and probably the cheaper part in case something goes wrong with your mod. But it should only be a matter of removing a small amount of material. If you want to get fancy, use Prussian Blue to identify the area to cut. If not, you can use some of your wife's or gf's nail polish. If you bought the upper recently, I've noticed some of the ones new on the market are a little tighter than the older ones. Good luck.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top