Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2003 5:47:50 PM EDT
I would like to build a semi-auto version of Colt's Commando with an 11.5" barrel.  I would be using Bushmaster upper and lowers.  I would assume I would have to contact the BATF and have the weapon registered a well as Paying the $200.00 Tax.

Any comments on the build would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Just remember that unless you are using a pre-ban lower you can't have the evil features. That means no bayonet lug, flash hider, or collapsible stock. Remember, just because it's a Class 3 item it is not exempt from the AWB.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just remember that unless you are using a pre-ban lower you can't have the evil features. That means no bayonet lug, flash hider, or collapsible stock. Remember, just because it's a Class 3 item it is not exempt from the AWB.
View Quote
Class 3 firearms registered to civilians had to be in the database during the grace period after the hughes amendment to the '86 legislation(which was only a couple of weeks if I rememeber right). In addition, class 3 firearms are not subject to the awb due to the fact that all "legal" ones were registered 8 years prior to the '94 aw ban. Another point, is that there are no restrictions on bbl length and flash hiders on class 3 weapons because of the special occupational (500.00) tax a dealer pays yearly to transfer them.

What he needs to do, is register the receiver as an SBR or AOW(depending on what he wants). He is still subject to the AW ban, and cannot have any of those features(bayo lug, collapsible stock,or flash hider) unless he registers a pre ban lower. He can still use a shorty stock and find a post ban brake for the commando, that might leave him better off noise/blast wise than a regular birdcage hider on there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Much confusion here on what "Class 3" means.

Title II firearms, MG, SBR, AOW, Suppressors, as defined in NFA '34 are made/sold by Class 2 SOT tax payers and sold by Class 3 SOT tax payers.  So "Class 3" is not just MG, it includes SBR, AOW and cans.

New SBR, AOW, and cans could be made today by SOTs as well as non-SOTs with an approved Form 1.  A new SBR has to comply with the AW limitations.  A new AOW does NOT have to comply with any AW BS but does require a forward grip which is not in-line with the bore (ie, a vertical grip).  An AOW cannot have a buttstock (the AR buffer tube is not a buttstock).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top