Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 6:38:23 PM EDT
I'm collecting parts for a project rifle and I want a stainless target barrel. I've got MEGA upper/lower receivers and a RRA NM parts kit. I see LOTHAR WALTHER barrels at ASA for $275 which sounds pretty good I guess. I'm wondering what others who have built varmint/target uppers or rifles based on SS bull barrels think the best deal on quality barrels is. Wish I could afford a KRIEGER but they're too much for my budget. Others I see frequently are Douglass, Shaw, Harris, Olympic etc. I welcome any opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,
AJAX15  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The Olympic Arms SUM barrels are excellent, and the price is certainly good.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Even the people who hate Oly will admit that the Oly SUM barrels are some of the best.  They are also a fantastic price for what you get.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Try DPMS...

Their SS bull barrels are awesome!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
All of the OLY SUM barrels I used to have shot under 1/2" at 100 yards with whatever ammo that particular barrel liked.
I bought a new one almost two years ago, and it would only shoot 1 1/4" at best.
I sent back the complete upper to OLY for their opinion, and the gunsmith said I had a bad barrel, and they did have some problems with their 1-8" twist barrels, in SOME production runs.
Since then, they have supposedly replaced the barrel 3 more times, and they even sent me a test target that was SUPPOSEDLY shot with that upper, but, I still couldn't get it to shoot less than 1 1/4", so, I took it to a local barrelmaker to have it borescoped and one of the lands were "scalloped" all the way down the barrel. The owner of the barrel shop said there was no way that barrel was going to shoot accuratly, so I it back to OLY for the 5th barrel. I told them as much problems as I've had with their 1-8" twist barrels, to put a 1-10" twist on it, and MAYBE I'll get a good one.
Only time will tell.
I used to swear by OLY SUM barrels,but, at this point, I don't think I would reccomend them anymore.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an 18" SS RRA (Wilson) floated upper.  It shoots about 1.2 MOA with light weight ammo and about 0.5 MOA with 75gr Black Hills.  It's very heavy, though.  I should have bought a Bushmaster Varminter upper, because it is just as accurate and light, too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate to break it to you, but if you read the ASA advertisement the barrels are named "Loather Walter" or some kind of stuff like that.  It sounds like another ASA plan at world domination through shoddy business practices.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hate to break it to you, but if you read the ASA advertisement the barrels are named "Loather Walter" or some kind of stuff like that.  It sounds like another ASA plan at world domination through shoddy business practices.
View Quote

Naw....I saw it too so I called'em, just a case of poor or no proofreading on the ad copy... they're LOTHAR WALTHER barrels. It's spelled correctly in their ad in the current Shotgun News.

Thanks for the heads-up though.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top