Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 7:56:38 AM EDT
What I would like to accomplish:
- Assemble an AR for 50/50 bench/shoulder shooting at 100/50 yard ranges.
- Looking for no greater than 1.0 MOA (bench).
- Want flat top w/ scope.
- Limited to $750 (before scope/mount).

What I plan to do (based on postings read):
- Buy Bushmaster stripped or complete lower.
- Buy J&T 20" bull barrel upper or kit with free float handguard.
- Will work on trigger as funds become available.

Am I on track to accomplish my goal? Is there a better way to get there? Am I making any big errors? Thanks in advance!!

John
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Recommend a Rock River stripped lower and parts kit.  Will save you about $50.  I looked at the JT kit, it looks pretty decent though.  Try the RRA dual stage trigger, or maybe a jewel or JP trigger.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks medicmandan. I guess no one else wants to give the new guy a hand....
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't tell you much about your components, my experience is limited to a Olympic barrel and EA lower.

But I will say this: When you go for the benched group testing try some quality ammo first. When I put together a 16" flatop this summer the first groups off the bench were sub-minute. This was using some handloaded bolt gun ammo I had worked up with IMR4985 and good Sierra 60 grain HP bullets. I was freakin' amazed at my new gun. Then I opened up the White box Q1313ABR549 (whatever it is) 55 grain FMJ from WallyWorld and started having +3" groups.

If I had started with that cheap ammo I sure would have been a less than happy camper with the new gun and the groups I shot.

Oh yeah, I did float the barrel from the get go (Hogue CAR forend) and later install a JP adjustable trigger and speedhammer. IMHO money well spent in both cases.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Call or email Tommy at Georgia Precision (GPSS) and see what his ideas are. He might have an underpriced upper sitting around.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top