Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 6:22:19 PM EDT
I find it intresting if not confusing. you can find an AR-15 for about $700.00, You can get a stripped lower for around $100.00, A kit which includes an assembled upper, bolt and carrier, and every thing you need assemble your sripped lower for around $440.00. But look to find an upper assembled with a bolt and carrier for under $300.00. This I do not under stand. As you may have guessed I have the complete lower and it is driving me crazy finding a complete upper ready to pin on and take to the range. Does any one know where to find one. This is my first personel AR and I plan on geting at least two more in the future.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
A complete factory rifle has a federal excise tax imposed on them. Something like 8% tax tacked on. So, the cheapest way to buy your parts is to buy a complete parts kit and buy a stripped lower. Sell your excess parts.

Rick
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I noticed the same thing. I have two uppers and one lower. I set out to find just to find a finished lower. No problem but after adding the bolt and T, It was more than a complete kit less stripped lower.  So what the hell, now I will have three uppers and two lowers and two bolts.  Figure I won't need the 16 until SHTF anyway.  I like to reach out and touch the target from a distance.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. I am now trying to figure out if I want to drop the $450.00 on a complete kit, and keep the lower parts or get an upper and a bolt for about the same price. The problem is that after this post ban I am working on I will be placing an ad for a pre ban lower. Since this one I want to make a car type. I will still have to order the correct parts.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the kit, my understanding is that the only diff in a pre ban and post ban lower is the serial number. Stocks with parts for some reason, probably availability, don't fit the over price individual parts mode.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out www.del-ton.com  They offer their own "brand" of complete uppers, which they call barrel assemblies, for around $365.

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#6]
ARsEVER is correct

Hi I'm new to this board I'm Lee of LRM Custom Firearms & suppressors
I'm a C2 and as a mfg we have to pay 11% federal excise tax even on ammo that is made
so remember ever time you by ammo,gun or even spear gun you are paying 11% excise tax

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you everyone for your input. I was mainly venting on the price for complete uppers. Mostly because I did not have enough to buy every thing I needed at one time. But I was able to find  place I have ordred from before at a real good price. I paid $303.00 for a car 16 upper. I ordered a the bolt assembly, and charging handel from another place.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top