Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/8/2002 6:46:11 AM EDT
I'm looking for a de-watted AR15/M16 STRIPPED lower. Anybody know where I might get one?
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Dumb question from a newbie...what is de-watted?
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
DeWaT: US Government term...Deactivated War Trophy. Not much use for AR's in the gov't realm so the forecast for finding a DeWat is pretty slim. I have seen deactivated M16's...mostly shear cut and you get either 2/3 or 1/3 of a thoroughly squished lower. There have been some gunshows in TX with scrappers selling saw cut units & they often have the other 1/3. Ocassionally you'll find a PD/LEA that has demilled some confiscated AR's..but I haven't seen or heard of any for quite awhile. Can ya be really blunt about what it is you need? You could just buy an 80% casting & bash it with a hammer, eh. Thx...Bud
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to ask:  Why do you want it?

CJ

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
A cut receiver is demil'd - not DEWAT.

DEWAT implies a registered, but otherwise inactivated, NFA firearm.  I don't think it's possible to DEWAT an M16, since that usually involves a plugged or welded-across barrel/chamber, and on the M16 you can just switch upppers to have a functional machinegun again.

I think in order to DEWAT an M16, you'd have to weld the upper to the lower somehow, in addition to performing the DEWAT procedures on the barrel/chamber.

In the UK, they allow M16's to be demilled with just a plugged/drilled barrel in this way, but not in the US.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure that's true about the UK's procedures, at least not the current ones.   I say this because I found a deactivated firearms collector's UK site, and he was talking about (among other things) his brand new Bushmaster that he'd ordered and how a welder had to essentially weld the entire lower receiver into a solid mass, and the upper, too, to comply with the new laws.

It was quite sickening to read.   And if I remember correctly,  this particular rifle had been ordered in full auto configuration.  

Ready to puke?  I am.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
A DeWat does not have to be the complete weapon...nor does any part of the weapon need to be assembled. DeWat, used proper, only pertains to deactivated/demilitarized weapons that are acquired during wartime. It is a term that has been used quite loosely & can be interpreted by the US Gov't as they see fit. Quiz...what agency(s), that is who, makes the determination of and sets the qualifications for DeWats? Bud
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 3:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Demilled not Dewat. I sit corrected. I want it for an Anti-Anti-Gun art project.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a scrapped lower that is non-functional due to out-of-tolerance hole positioning.  It was my first attempt to make a lower receiver from a raw forging.  (The second attempt was highly successful.)

I would be willing to offer you the loan of this useless lower,  but for the potential legal implications:   First,  it IS legally a completely made lower receiver. 100 percent rather than 80 or less.   And even though it is not going to function (I assembled fire control components into it and pulling the trigger doesn't cause the hammer to fall)  I think that legally it would still have to be transferred to you via an FFL holder.

It has not been demilled, and is just a paperweight from a functional standpoint,  but I won't try to jump that legal rope.

But it does bring to mind the idea of getting someone here who likes to mill his own to make you a cosmetically believable dummy receiver from a scrap-out or even a new forging.  No need to completely mill out the mag well or the fire control trench,  just drill a few holes so a trigger and selector could be pinned in.   And if the work were done carefully,  then after this project's conclusion,  you could return it to the person who made it and he could complete it for his own legal purposes.

I can't do it.  I no longer have that milling machine or ready access to one.  But if I did, I might be willing to help.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Does it have to be a dewat/demil?  Or just non-functional?  Can you just take the firing-pin or bolt-carrier out so it's safe?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Pat-Riot..."art", an excellent answer to Johnson's question. Send or post an e-mail address that you can receive PIX at & I'll send you a jpeg of the purrrfekt anti-anti-gun AR15 lower. You can have a look at it & then tell me if it's what you're looking for...Bud
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 3:44:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I need it for a sculpture so it would not be a returnable situation. Besides, I don't want to get anywhere near a legal issue on this.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Pat-Riot...Copy on that & that's exactly what I figured your needs were. Look for the PIX this eve...Bud
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top