Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2002 6:15:53 AM EDT
I have the opportunity to get a really cheap (free) 11.5"x5.5" FS from a buddy. The only reason I'd want it is if i could remove the FS and have the 11.5" barrel for my SBR and my XM177 project. Is it a reasonable project to remove the suppressor without screwing-up the barrel??

Thanks in advance. -Joe
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Really easy to do. I took a die grinder with a round cutter and ground away at the "pipe" down almost to the threads.... then when you turn the front pipe, it will crack/seperate from the rear and simply unscrew. Take a torch, just warm the rear part, and use a pair of grips to break it loose, and unscrew it. IF you do it right, you will have not damaged your threads. I have a pic of the hider cut on disc, but it is in my lunch box at home, I'll send or post it tonight after 9pm.  Biggest thing,,,,TAKE YOUR TIME!!  If you want, send it over here, I'll take it off for you.

EDIT: I got wife to load up the pic----That is a 308 case inserted into the hole to hold the pieces for visual aid/reference.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Just out of curiosity does anyone mafe a 5.5 muzzle brake for post ban guns? If not what would it take to make a flash suppresor into a muzzle brake?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
JoePA....Hell yes. Barrel vise & a wrench will get you there PDQ...Bud
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
JoePA....Hell yes. Barrel vise & a wrench will get you there PDQ...Bud

As the brake's 2 pins inside rake the crap out of the threads.............or crack the end of the barrel. Thats why you have to "eat" away at the brake/flash hiders material to release the pins.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top