Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2011 3:31:31 PM EDT
In order to put a new camera system in my patrol car, they took my bloody dome light out, leaving me a flashlight jammed between my neck and shoulder for nighttime stuff. I know the Sidewinder is a lot of light for the task, but I plan on clipping it to the visor.

Any thoughts on the light? Which Industry Partners carry them?
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know who carries them I would immagine La police gear has them though. I would give Bright Flashlights a call, he sould cut you a deal as your LE as well. I have one of these lights and its great for battery life and uses AAs which is cool because they are cheaper than CR123s. I think it would be perfect for your aplication though especially because you could use the red,blue or green LEDs if you wanted to be less obvious with your light in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one that I use with a helmet mount.  It inexplicably stopped working in November after very little use.  Finally got it working again after I beat it in a blind rage against the kitchen counter.

Its demonstrated lack of reliability, along with its 2005-era light output, makes me not like it so much.  The colored LEDs have a lot of "artifacts".  Mine is the IR version, FWIW.

It has a funky shape, which isn't the easiest to carry.  Forget clenching it between your teeth while working on something...

JMHO
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a Compact Sidewinder for a good while (1 year +) and I like it a lot for a GP light. It's a daily carry item at work along with my Surefire L4. I've dropped it, kicked it, taken it apart and it's still going strong.

Mine's OD.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The compact sidewinder's nice.  use it on my swat vest.  For the car i use one of these with the green LED.  Helps maintain my night vision and it clips to the visor nicely.  Lasts a long time on 3 AAA's as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
mine broke quick like

batteryjunction.com has terralux tlf-30 flarestar for under $7

it is a magnetic dome light in red or amber that takes AA ––preserve your night vision for under $10

i just ordered 2
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The compact sidewinder's nice.  use it on my swat vest.  For the car i use one of these with the green LED.  Helps maintain my night vision and it clips to the visor nicely.  Lasts a long time on 3 AAA's as well.

I've broken two of those, unfortunately, always at the collar. I gave up on them and need something a little more durable.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 12:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't know who carries them I would immagine La police gear has them though. I would give Bright Flashlights a call, he sould cut you a deal as your LE as well. I have one of these lights and its great for battery life and uses AAs which is cool because they are cheaper than CR123s. I think it would be perfect for your aplication though especially because you could use the red,blue or green LEDs if you wanted to be less obvious with your light in your vehicle.

Well, I wound up buying one, and promptly zip-tied my visor so I'd have a place to clip it. Three nights of using it, and it's already on the fritz. The red and white LED now only come on together, which pretty much kills the point of the red light. I have emails in to Streamlight and brightguy.com. We'll see how it works out.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow. Did you get the Compact?
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 5:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wow. Did you get the Compact?

Full size.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm shocked.

On the chance that you got a fluke, I gave it a shot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Why the full size? Aren't the two the same price?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I wound up buying one, and promptly zip-tied my visor so I'd have a place to clip it. Three nights of using it, and it's already on the fritz. The red and white LED now only come on together, which pretty much kills the point of the red light. I have emails in to Streamlight and brightguy.com. We'll see how it works out.

Brightguy.com just shipped another one to me along with a UPS label to return the malfunctioning one. That's pretty stand-up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Streamlight ClipMate, green LED $20 or less. Clips on visor, provides enough light but not to much.

Nevermind see you broke a couple of them. Mine has been working just fine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#15]
safe-light.com  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top