Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 9:36:10 PM EDT
Just curious how well this thing works.  On my issued M4 I really want a tac light, but I would also love to have an IR illuminator on it for when we take down buildings with no lights in them.

So I was thinking of just getting a surefire with the IR filter.  Looks like the filter has a flip up lens so I can "switch it off" when I don't need it and just go with white light.  Sounds like a good setup if it works well.

Ideally I'd like it to have the same range and all as a PEQ-2...

Anyone used this setup?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi,

All of the IR covers out there are no where near as good as a dedicated IR light such as the Surefire M1 which uses a 10mw dedicated IR LED.  The key here is dedicated, it's a TRUE IR light.  There is so much light loss while using an IR cover over incandecent lighting.  Using a IR filter will work for some very close in CQB work, and you will see the beam is not focused well, while the M1 iluminator will show great illumination out to 6o yards with no focus loss at all.  The M1 IS expensive at 120+ bones, but I think it's the most effective IR light out there.  

Also, in regards to you would like to have the same ranges as a PEQ. A few thoughts on this...I do not think you want ANYTHING near the power of PEQ (50mw) to take down a building.  With this type of power at CQB, your NVD's would be overwhelmed by all the light.  I think you're on the right track with an IR filter or a dedicated illuminator.  Best to have you're PAQ's for some perimeter setups.  

Hope this helps a bit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got 2 surefire's with IR filters on them.  They do what there suppossed too but like Victor said, the M1 is better.  You can stick your naked eye right up to the filter at night and not see any light coming thru.  I tried a cheaper filter before I bought the SF's and with it you could see light.
The problem I have with the SF filters is the light coming out is unfocused and I keep loosing the little clip that keeps the cover closed on one of them.
I chose not to put an M1 on my NV equipped rifle because it's allready got so much crap on it.  Kind of the "kill two birds with one stone" thing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hi,

All of the IR covers out there are no where near as good as a dedicated IR light such as the Surefire M1 which uses a 10mw dedicated IR LED.

Victor,
Do you have a link to this product?

Thanks,
Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I had an IR filter on a surefire z2 with the 60 lumens bulb. Inside buildings with normal sized rooms it works great. Outside with other light sources like street lights, moon light it was worthless.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi,

All of the IR covers out there are no where near as good as a dedicated IR light such as the Surefire M1 which uses a 10mw dedicated IR LED.

Victor,

Thanks,
Bigfeet

Here ya go!
www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/401/sesent/00
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi,

Victor,

Thanks,
Bigfeet

Here ya go!
www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/401/sesent/00

Victor,
Thank you very much!

Regards,
Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ideally I'd like it to have the same range and all as a PEQ-2...

Anyone used this setup?

I have one FM#13 IR  on my M962xm , it works quite fine at close distance , have also the AN/PEQ2A but this one is just a different baby , do not compare apples and oranges .

PP out
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the heads-up on the discounts.  That is good news for most.  I only use SF due to my LE discounts, their retail is outrageous!  

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 for gandrtactical
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top