Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 7:55:53 AM EDT
I'm sure you guys get this question often but I couldn't find anything that answered my question through the search.  Anyway, which surefire should I get for my AR? I'm not too concerned with price, only that the light will be effective and I can mount it to my rifle.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#1]
1. Do you have a railed fore end?  If so go to question 2 if not you want option C.

2. Do you want a vertcal grip?  If so your answer is A. if not your answer is B.

A. Surefire M900
B. Surefire Millennium 6V or 9V
C. Surefire M500

Thats a bit oversimplified but if you dont care about price its the correct answer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
DevL forgot to ask whether you want the navigation LEDs.  They're a great way to be less conspicuous and save the batteries.  If you want them, cross option "B" off the list.

I have an M900 and an M500.  They're both good, but I prefer the M900 because it gives you the vertical foregrip and because you can easily remove it when you don't need it.  

If you don't have a railed fore end, you can get a Fobus M33 that's fine for mounting lights at a fairly reasonable price.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Or keep option B and add another LED based light on the other side of the rail.  Then you have either/or.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Could any of the [url=http://www.san.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&sesent=0,0&strfnbr=6&pgname=specialops]special operations[/url] lights be mounted under the barrel of an AR (onto a weaver/P rail assembly)?

Thanks again guys
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes they could, however, the M2, M3, M3T and M4 are not intended to be mounted on a weapon. Although they feature shock isolated bezels that are used by SureFire's Millennium WeaponLights, the important difference is that the batteries are not isolated (retained) within the body and could damage themselves and/or the Lamp Assembly if subjected to recoil.

If you would like to see a photo of how WeaponLight bodies differ from SureFire's flashlight bodies, please email me ([email protected])

Respectfully,

Al
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Ahhh, first you ask whats the best because your "not too concerned with price" and now you are trying to find was to cut corners. LOL!  

I never believe it when people say price is not an issue.  He he he...
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#7]
M900 baby.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I was surprised to see the price go above $600, but the mounts for the m6/900's seemed to be integral with the AR, where as I just want to mount it on a weaver raile below my weapon.  But the M600/900's will mount on a weaver rail?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes the 1913 spec rails are 19mm spaced rails and there are 13 of them on a flat top upper and thats why they are called 1913 spec rails.  Weaver rails are just the same size but can have slightly different specs as to the cross rails themselves.

If you are wanting to use the GG&G or other small bolt on rails those are short sections of 1913 spec rails that bolt on.  The railed forearms also use 1913 spec rails or rail sections integrated to the forearm.

I bought my M900 for $409 an you should never pay more than $450 or your getting ripped off.  The other lights should be less than that.

All you need is one of the previously mentioned lights and they come with either an AMRS throw lever mount or thumb screw moutn which lets it attatch to a 1913 spec rail.  The exception is the M500 which is a complete M4 type forearm with the light and switches integrated to the forearm itself.

If you are not going to use a vertical grip and dont want to free float the barrel just get the M500 to replace the current forarm you have right now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
i have a surefire G2 mounted to my barrel

[img]http://pimpcat.myftp.org/g2.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top