Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 2:28:37 AM EDT
I was going to convert a 6P SureFire light i have, mount it on my suppressed 9mm M16, and use a pressure switch for ON/OFF activation.  SureFire tells me the pressure swith is available from them, but cost about $95.  Seems kinda high just for a switch.  Does anybody know if there are other options that might cost just a wee bit less?

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you also invested in a Z32 Shock Isolated Bezel for your 6P?

My advice is to get a dedicated WeaponLight and keep your 6P as a handheld flashlight. Have you already got a mount? If so you can get just the WeaponLight - something like a 650-06.

Al
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I did the same thing to my Surefire 6P original awhile back and have never had a problem. The 6P does need the Z32 shock isolated bezel to be reliable. I have never been a fan of the overly expensive Surefire front grip/flashlight combos. I feel they limit your weapons light mounting options. A 6P mounted in a 1" flashlight mount can be dam near anywhere on your hand guards that you prefer. I experimented with left side front, right side front, and bottom front on my Knights Armament RAS hand guards. I ended up mounting it right side up forward with a Knights Armament 1" flashlight mount.

www.surefirestore.com:
(1.) SFZ32 - 6P shock isolated bezel ($17.60)
(2.) SFUU06 - Switch/tailcap., momentary tape switch ($68.00)
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Va_Dinger:

Would those same parts also work with a SureFire G2?

And would you even recommend turning a $27 light into a $110 light by adding these parts?

Hmmm, maybe it's time to start saving for an M9XX series light and just use the G2 as is.

I have to say, I'm surprised the momentary pressure switch is so expensive.  Are there any other options for a G2, Z2 or 6P other than the pressure switch and standard push button rear (including the on/off rear switch)?

TIA
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Tac Star makes a pressure switch for the 6P as well.

Pressure Switch End Cap for TacStar T-6 and Surefire® 6P
Available Mid Summer 2003

Item # 1081206

[url=]www.lymanproducts.com/tacstar/lightsys.htm[/url]

$19.98 retail.

I have one on order.

Fritze Out
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Fritze:

Do you know if that will work with the G2?

Corey
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Corey

I put my 6P cap onto my G2 and it did not function correctly, although the dimensions look alot alike. Trying the G2 cap onto the 6P on the otherhand did work fine. I wont know if the Tac Star pressure cap will work on my G2 until I receive it. But I will call Tac Star and ask them, although they may not know as well,lol.

We have Tac Star Weaponlights with pressure switches at the gunshop I work at and I am sure the Surefire unit is $40.00 more than the Tac Star $20.00 pressure switch for a reason.

I know putting a $60.00 pressure lightswitch on a $30.00 light seems like an uneven proposition, thats why I am looking at the Tac Star, hopefully it will work out fine.

I have a few questions on the SFZ32 - 6P shock isolated bezel.

#1.Is this a Surefire product (info on Surefirestore.com didnt specify, great site BTW)?

#2.Whats included in the kit, lense/benzel, gasket, etc?

#3.What damage occurs without the shock bezel, cracked bezels, damage to the bulbs, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Fritze Out
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey, thanks for the info Fritze.

If you wouldn't mind trying the Tac Star pressure switch on the G2 and reporting back I'd appreciate it.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy the SureFire unit.  The G2 is a temporary solution until I get a dedicated SureFire weaponlight.  (And the Fobus M33 that it will be mounted on will ultimately get replaced with an SIR/RASII/etc.)  I can always buy a 6P and hook it up to another rifle....
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
#1.Is this a Surefire product (info on Surefirestore.com didnt specify, great site BTW)?
View Quote

Yes - though its not listed at Surefire.com.  If you call them on their 1-800 number you can order it.  $22 IIRC (I just got 2 of them in the mail and they DO fit on G2s & 6Ps).

BTW there are several Surefire products that are not listed on thier website.  For example they have a version of the 600 series Classic Weaponlight with a push button switch and weaver clamp mount for $200 that you can only get by calling their 1-800 # (its not listed on their site).

#2.Whats included in the kit, lense/benzel, gasket, etc?
View Quote

Complete bezel - has the lens & gaskets installed.  Just unscrew the old one and screw on the new one.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Forest

Thanks for the heads up, I will get one of the Bezels ASAP.
I replaced my 6P which I used to carry on my side (in a Blade Tech kydex holster) with a G2 Surefire in a Surefire combat holster with a Surefire blue filter.

I put my 6P with the 3 cell upgrade and the 200 lumen lamp assembly onto my Oly Arms 45 ACP carbine, it also has a red filter. Its attached to a FIRSH handgaurd with Leupold QRW rings, a BSA Red Dot resides on the flattop upper. I was thinking about getting one of the First SAMCO light mounts instead for the 6P, any comments on it?

I also have one of the BSA cheap arse lasers on order, they retail at about $50.00, del at $23.00, so they have got to be some cheap stuff. Anyone have any experience with them.

Its a curse coming to this board and seeing all the cool stuff I can put on my guns,lol.

Fritze Out

I ordered a First SAMCO/Fobus 6P Tactical Light Mount, and a BSA LS650 laser. Also have Warne steel weaver style bases coming in to put my Leupold QRW rings onto one of my bolt guns, they are holding my 6P onto my FIRSH right now.

Thanks for all the help guys, great info here.

Fritze Out.

Update, the tail cap and pressure switch from Tac Star is not on its way.

In fact it wont be in at least until August.

Apparently Tac Star, a division of Lyman products, seems its not too important to inform its customers of any backorder situations.

They sent me a confirmation on the order, but they said they do not normally send confirmation of shipping of said orders.

I really prefer it when an online company sends confirmation of orders *with* eta of shipping, and then confirmation of shipping and charges along with eta on delivery. And they should always have *in stock* notices on product pages on their sites.

Almost all of the companies I have dealt with do so, any companie that does not I see as having very sloppy online order service.

I am going to just bite the bullet and get the Surefire switch instead.

Fritze Out.

I also just ordered a Swiss Vertical Foregrip from Advanced Armament Corp to round out the package, $24.95,

[url=www.advanced-armament.com/ar-15.html]Swiss Grip at Advanced Armament Corp[/url]

Fritze out
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Fobus FAS-2 flashlight mount coming from SableCo.  I just received my Fobus M33 handguards from SableCo today.  (I'm splitting the M33 with a friend as I only need the bottom.)

The M33 appears to be of very high quality.  The only thing I don't like is the non-milspec rails (they have a cut down the middle and are not solid "bars" across the cuts).  So, the Swiss Vert Grip that I have won't lock in without some modification.  I'll probably either fit a piece to slide into the holes on top of the grip (and mate with the nub on the vert grip), or will more likely just extend the "bars" in the rail with epoxy or something like that.  The Swiss grip is on it now and is friction fit so tightly that it's not moving anyway, so I'll figure out a solution.  I think that the M33 will work perfectly for my application, and think it's a much better option than an add-on rail as the rails are parallel to the barrel (they are NOT on add-on rails).

I have been debating getting a pressure switch for my G2 from SureFire.  From everything I've heard, the G2 is a very robust little light that works well as a weapon light (even without the shock isolated bezel -- which will likely be an upgrade for me down the road anyways as it's fairly inexpensive).

But I called SureFire and here's the part numbers for the momentary pressure switch that fits the G2/6P/Z2/etc.:

S05" (that's a zero, and the number is the length of the wire/tape you want -- the SF rep suggested a 3" wire for my use, which would be a light directly in front of the vert grip at 6 o'clock)

11690-1 (this is the actual tailcap that accepts the wire/tape mentioned above).

He said that this has a SRP of $90, though I don't know what it "really" sells for.

I'm still debating the pressure switch.  I think I'll wait until I receive the light mount and see how hard it is activating the button on the light with my support hand knuckle.

EDIT:  Oh, and I just wanted to add that Donnie and Robert at SableCo were great to deal with (as usual)!!  [url]www.sableco.net[/url]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got my Fobus/First Samco FAS-2 light mount.

The good news is the G-2 fits in it perfectly, and its design matches very close, the 6P with 3 cel conversion fits just as good.

The bad news for me is that the mount fits very loosely on my FIRSH handgaurd,I am sure I can make it fit tightly with little modification. I just hope I can retain its ease of removal. The cross bolt is too small for the weaver rail cuts in my FIRSH and causes a sloppy fit.

I have it located on the left hand rail where my left thumb can hit the end cap switch easily.

I am going to try it out at work on several different types of guns to see how universal it can be. We sell alot of G-2 surefires and I think this type of mount would be a great seller.

I also received my BSA LS-650 Laser, I first tried it on the right side of my FIRSH and found it to be an unacceptable location. I then tried it on the bottom rail and found it to be a perfect location. The top rail might work too if I had a weaver riser to locate my BSA red dot higher.

The Warne weaver style steel bases for my Savage 110FP worked out great, the Leupold QRW rings fit them exactly.

Next to come in are the Swiss Vertical Foregrip from Advanced Armament Corp and the 9mm/45 Black Rubber Mag Pulls from SOG Armory.

Fritze Out

BTW-I will get some shots of it when its all"done",lol.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I tried the Fobus mount on a few guns at work, ie underside of a Glock frame dustcover, it works but of course puts the G-2 out too far in front of the muzzle.

It fit a Weaver brand base perfectly, natch, the crossbolt was a perfect fit. The G-2 looks so good in it  that I have actually decided to go with it on the carbine instead of the 6-P.

I will carry the 6-P on my side as I used to, a 200 lumen 3 cel upgrade with a red filter sitting in a Blade Tech Kydex holster.

I am going to mount the G-2 then decide whether to invest into a pressure switch or just use the tail thats on it now, I can hit it quite easily with my thumb as it sits.

Fritze Out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Finally got some shots of the G2 mounted onto my FIRSH with the First Samco light mount.

FIRSH left side.

[img]http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/FIRSH_left_side.jpg[/img]

[url=http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/FIRSH_left_side_hirez.jpg]FIRSH left side Hirez.[/url]

FIRSH left side low angle.

[img]http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/FIRSH_left_side_lo.jpg[/img]

[url=http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/FIRSH_left_side_lo_hirez.jpg]FIRSH left side low angle Hirez.[/url]

FIRSH right side.

[img]http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/FIRSH_r_side.jpg[/img]

[url=http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/FIRSH_r_side_hirez.jpg]FIRSH right side Hirez.[/url]

Surefire G2 top.

[img]http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/G2_top.jpg[/img]

[url=http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/G2-top_hirez.jpg]Surefire G2 top Hirez.[/url]

Surefire G2 left high angle.

[img]http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/G2_left_hi.jpg[/img]

[url=http://capcanuck.members.easyspace.com/G2-left_hi_hirez.jpg]Surefire G2 left high angle Hirez.[/url]

The Surefire G2 worked so well in the First Samco mount that I ended up replacing my 200 lumen 6P (mounted in Leupold QRW rings) with it, now the 6P sits in its holster on my side once again (and the Leupold QRW are on my .308 bolt gun). I did remove the First Samco light mount push button and replaced it with a simple crossbolt. Regrettablely this eliminates the quick release feature of the First Samco mount, but it wasn't sturdy enough.

If the bulb ever breaks I will replace it with a 105 lamp assembly and put on a shock isolated bezel and add a surefire pressure switch.

So far it survived its first live fire testing with no issues.

Fritze Out

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Fritze:

I haven't received my FAS-2 yet....

Why do you think it wasn't sturdy enough with the stock mounting method?  Would it rattle around on the rail?

Thanks for the pics.

Corey
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Why do you think it wasn't sturdy enough with the stock mounting method? Would it rattle around on the rail?
View Quote

Roger that Corey, it was a loose fit on my FIRSH, see quote from one of my earlier posts on it,

From post above;

I just got my Fobus/First Samco FAS-2 light mount.

The good news is the G-2 fits in it perfectly, and its design matches very close, the 6P with 3 cel conversion fits just as good.

The bad news for me is that the mount fits very loosely on my FIRSH handgaurd,I am sure I can make it fit tightly with little modification. I just hope I can retain its ease of removal. The cross bolt is too small for the weaver rail cuts in my FIRSH and causes a sloppy fit.

I have it located on the left hand rail where my left thumb can hit the end cap switch easily.

I am going to try it out at work on several different types of guns to see how universal it can be. We sell alot of G-2 surefires and I think this type of mount would be a great seller.

I tried the Fobus mount on a few guns at work, ie underside of a Glock frame dustcover, it works but of course puts the G-2 out too far in front of the muzzle.

It fit a Weaver brand base perfectly, natch, the crossbolt was a perfect fit. The G-2 looks so good in it that I have actually decided to go with it on the carbine instead of the 6-P.
View Quote

My FIRSH might be "out of spec", I salvaged it from the scrap bin when I was at Oly Arms and reworkedit, you will notice that it has a painted black finish, not anodized as per usuall. The black painted surface is called "british black" and its laquer based, fast and easy to apply but not very hardy.

Fritze Out
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, I realized that when I read the post another time.

But thanks for the clarification.

I'll let you know what I think of mine when (if) I get it....

Corey
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Off topic but....

After trying to get my FAS-2 for WEEKS from another dealer, I finally cancelled that order and went to the source.

Just got off the phone with First Samco/Fobus USA.  Spoke with Craig (who I presumed was the manager?) re: the FAS-2 rattling on milspec rails.

He was very concerned about this and offered to ship one to me on invoice (send it back if it doesn't work right, pay for it if I liked it).  He said they were in the middle of a production run and that they shouldn't rattle.

I told him that the information I had was that the rattling could have been due to the rail system being out of spec.  I also promised to try the mount out and report back here as I have a new RASII that I just received from Wes at MSTN.

They were very helpful and gave me a price break due to my troubles (no, I didn't ask for one) and need for priority shipping.  I also picked up two of their safety sticks for use while dry firing.

Hopefully the FAS-2 will be a tight lock on my RASII and all will be happy!  I'll report back when I get it.

EDITED for clarity.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top