User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/27/2020 10:38:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot]
So I learned how to do this from a tutorial posted somewhere on this site once upon a time. I don't know what happened to that thread, but I feel like it is good information since commercial slings are not cheap especially if you have a lot of rifles. I am going to be posting pics from my phone then I will come back and add links and instructions, so stand by.

I get the webbing and tri-glides from Strapworks. This is the webbing I'm using. And these are the triglides (1 inch)

So you just put the webbing through the triglides,

Attachment Attached File

Through the sling mount of your choice,

Attachment Attached File

And then back through the triglides.

Attachment Attached File

This will make both ends of your sling. I used around 45 inches of webbing for this first half that will mount to the stock end of the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:41:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot] [#1]
I like these cam buckles but there are cheaper options. You can use These plastic strap adjusters but the sling probably won't be as fast to adjust. I use these for shotgun and bolt gun slings that are mounted in the "normal" position, I'll post more on that later.

Attachment Attached File

Then starting with your other half of the sling, it goes underneath the buckle,

Attachment Attached File

Back out the other side,

Attachment Attached File

And through the cam

Attachment Attached File

Then you just need something to prevent the "live" end from being pulled through the buckle. You can do it like this, or thread it through both triglides and back on itself.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot] [#2]
This is another way to secure the "live" end of the sling.

Attachment Attached File

And what it looks like complete.

Attachment Attached File

Obviously you could use any mounting hardware you want, QD swivels, HK hooks, the traditional sling mount, or these could be threaded directly through a mount.

I like attaching them to stocks like this, obviously there is a QD mount here, but doing it his way keeps it from spinning or getting twisted. You could also go around the stock as well and back through the triglide instead.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Like I said at the beginning, I learned all this from another thread so I can't take any credit. Hopefully someone finds this useful and maybe saves some cash.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool thread. I gotta bookmark this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:32:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#4]
I add QD buckles or HK hooks so I can remove the sling easily.

Original thread.  Good discussion but Photobucket ruined most of the photos.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Make-your-own-TAC-SLING-for-10-bucks-Pics-and-detailed-instructions-inside-56k-warning/19-252462/
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
OST
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]
That is why you always save all of your nylon webbing and components.  I have a bag full of it and have used it countless times to modify slings for different platforms.

A cigar torch lighter works great for sealing up frayed ends.

I like the HK style hooks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you take a full pic of the sling laid out?

A video would be even cooler.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Posted this in another thread:

Just add sewing, attachment type of choice (QD, mash hooks, etc) and some 550 cord for the cam buckle.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cap6888:
Can you take a full pic of the sling laid out?

A video would be even cooler.
View Quote

It’s kind of hard to get a good picture.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
You need to throw some tape on them floppy ends.  Then put some para-cord on the cam-buckle release so you can tighten or loosen on the fly.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Definitely bookmarking this as well! I am liking this. Will be a whole lot cheaper to put slings on some of my other non-critical guns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]
So I came up with this today. I don’t for sure if it’s going to work 100% until I go out and shoot with it (might have to settle for some dry fire for right now) but so far I like it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#13]
So the end that comes through the cam buckle just flops out? It isn’t like a captured loop?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Most outfitters store and some marine supply will sell hardware and webbing.

Lighter/propane torch hit the cut ends cleans/seals
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By u-baddog:
Most outfitters store and some marine supply will sell hardware and webbing.

Lighter/propane torch hit the cut ends cleans/seals
View Quote

I use a utility knife, heat the blade with the torch, then cut.
Makes a very clean sealed edge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
So the end that comes through the cam buckle just flops out? It isn’t like a captured loop?
View Quote

If you look at the post above yours, I played with it today so that it is captured. So far I like it a lot better, it helps keep it managed when cinched down.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyG] [#17]
Look for your hardware, etc. at these places:

https://www.ahh.biz under https://www.ahh.biz/hardware/military/

https://www.hudson4supplies.com

I've no interest in either company, but have had good dealings with both, good products delivered quickly.

Another one (also not mine) is on ebay, again with good stuff delivered quickly: https://www.ebay.com/sch/defense-acquisitions/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 7:48:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LarMoeCur] [#18]
Originally Posted By 2apatriot:
So I came up with this today. I don’t for sure if it’s going to work 100% until I go out and shoot with it (might have to settle for some dry fire for right now) but so far I like it.
View Quote

6888 said it already.  The cambuckle is there for rapid sling adjustments.  I can't tell by the picture but it appears yours does not allow for adjustment through the cambuckle.  

I think Milspec Monkey has everything you need also.  https://www.milspecmonkey.com/
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#19]
For securing the running end, how about a 1” thin-bar slide? Pass the tail through one side of the slide, secure with a regular slide, and run the front (or rear, I’m confused) through the other side. The thin bar allows it to slide, while keeping the excess tail out of the way. Just something that popped into my head randomly.... FWIW
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By LarMoeCur:

6888 said it already.  The cambuckle is there for rapid sling adjustments.  I can't tell by the picture but it appears yours does not allow for adjustment through the cambuckle.  

I think Milspec Monkey has everything you need also.  https://www.milspecmonkey.com/
View Quote

Its still adjustable, the adjustable end is just attached to the main portion of the sling with a triglide. I can try to take a video tomorrow but I've never tried to post videos on here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Instead of taping the ends down...allow enough material to fold back over the triglides and weave through.

I did that on mine...I play with them a little so they end up with just enough material to bite but not enough to get in the way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Good info
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I use seatbelt stop buttons to keep the live end of the sling from going all the way through the quick adjust.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#24]
not to be a downer, but I personally would NOT use a plastic buckle or slide of any sort.

in my experience, cold weather really does the plastic in, basically makes it brittle and they break easy enough.

get some good metal ones.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice.

I’ve used the drag strap from a tree stand harness. Works great on my hunting Grendel.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Blammer:
not to be a downer, but I personally would NOT use a plastic buckle or slide of any sort.

in my experience, cold weather really does the plastic in, basically makes it brittle and they break easy enough.

get some good metal ones.
View Quote

Thats interesting, I wouldn't expect cold weather to make plastic brittle. I'll have to do some experiments with extra triglides.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I recently got a sewing machine and started making my own padded slings.
I'm loving them.

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I make proctor style slings with no loose tabs or quick release. One slider for quick adjustment and paracord loops for attachment. Super slick and quiet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Great thread.  I made the tac sling from the old post years ago.  Its a great sling for the cost, but it came undone and my rifle hit the dirt a few times.  I need to get some more cams or buckles to secure it to my rifle better.  

I like your design.  Its simple but effective.  Might have to give it a shot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By LarMoeCur:
You need to throw some tape on them floppy ends.  Then put some para-cord on the cam-buckle release so you can tighten or loosen on the fly.
View Quote

What type of tape is that and where did you get it from?  

I've been using clear or black hockey tape on mine as of late.  The clear works, but has some shine to it.  I'm not a fan of the black tape because of the residue it leaves behind.  Also, something with the black tape, maybe the dye, would tear up my hockey gloves on sticks faster than white.  

I have a Slingster that uses a similar metal cam.  I quit using the sling though because it was nicking up my pretty BCM upper!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Where to get some padding to put on the sling.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By akajimmy:
Where to get some padding to put on the sling.  Any ideas?
View Quote

Are you sewing a sling from scratch, or just looking for a pad to slip onto an existing sling?
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#33]
To match your purple Lancers:  

What do you mean you haven't been able to get purple Lancers yet?  They were on sale at AimSurplus last month!

• 20 Yards

• Approximately .078 inch or 2.02mm thick

• 1200 lbs tensile strength

• Melting point of 500 degrees Fahrenheit

• UV, Rot, mildew and Moisture Resistant

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

1 Inch Purple Hawaiian Polyester Webbing, 20 Yards - $30.95

Thanks to @doc_Zox
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By savagemann:
I'm loving them.

https://i.imgur.com/eGBgGoK.jpg

View Quote

This is awesome, great work! I wish I had the sewing skills to do that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:51:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gopherboy128] [#35]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

I went with 1.5" pink.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#36]

This is awesome, great work! I wish I had the sewing skills to do that.
View Quote

Thank you Sir!
Not really that hard. Just some planning and the correct needles, thread and materials.
I think I have them down to only take about 20 minutes, once all the materials are cut.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm loving them.

https://i.imgur.com/eGBgGoK.jpg

View Quote

Damn fine work. Ever consider selling a few?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Are you sewing a sling from scratch, or just looking for a pad to slip onto an existing sling?
View Quote

Looking for a pad to slip on.  I could pullout the sewing machine and give it a shot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#39]
You mentioned in your first post, that the first piece of webbing was about 45" long. How long for the 2nd piece?
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Interesting. I may have to give it a try sometime.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I found a place that sells various colors and types of webbing by the foot.  Some of the cheaper webbing is only 25 cents per foot, and the tri-glides for 1.5" webbing are only 25-35 cents each so making up a sling is pretty cheap.  The various fittings and swivels are easy to find on line.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By fingerguns:

Damn fine work. Ever consider selling a few?
View Quote

Thank you Sir!
I had considered it. It's tough doing side gigs with a FTJ.

I was playing around with a new sling I made yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm tossing around the idea of making my own sling but I'm wanting something heavy duty with metal hardware.

Is milspec nylon webbing good enough or is there something more HD?
What does BFG Vickers use for their webbing?  Their site says "CORDURA® webbing" and it looks like it might be possible to purchase elsewhere.
Does anyone sell a quick adjuster like on the BFG Vickers?
If anyone has used metal triglides are you using the flat or round type?

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BluesShark:
I'm tossing around the idea of making my own sling but I'm wanting something heavy duty with metal hardware.

Is milspec nylon webbing good enough or is there something more HD?
What does BFG Vickers use for their webbing?  Their site says "CORDURA® webbing" and it looks like it might be possible to purchase elsewhere.
Does anyone sell a quick adjuster like on the BFG Vickers?
If anyone has used metal triglides are you using the flat or round type?

View Quote

I have started making some with the metal triglides. The round ones slide a little easier, the flat ones stay in place.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#45]

I have started making some with the metal triglides. The round ones slide a little easier, the flat ones stay in place.
View Quote

I've found this to be the case also.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Gopherboy128:
I've found this to be the case also.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. This is very helpful.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I decided to make up a few different patterns recently.

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#48]
I decided to make up a few different patterns recently.

https://i.imgur.com/m5J6O9h.jpg
View Quote
That's cool!
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Those look awesome! Would you be willing to share the materials and how you make the padded portion?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Old School TAG
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top