BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/27/2011 2:40:46 PM EDT
I've been following the development of IWC's latest limited rotation QD mount for several months now, and when Earl at IWC offered me the chance to test and evaluate it in one of my midlength MOE handguards I jumped at the chance.  (My Momma didn't raise no fools.)  Please note the QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT shown here is an unfinished production sample - it is in the final configuration except for application of the black oxide corrosion protection finish that is common to all IWC products.

IWC's new QD MICRO is designed for dual duty - it direct mounts into any of the holes in a Troy TRX Extreme handguard (yes, even the 1, 4, 7 and 11:00 positions!) but it was also designed to be applicable to all MOE handguards via the drilling of a single 1/2" hole.  This MOE modification is very easily done by the user - if I can do it, anyone can.

The mount itself is a little jewel of modern CNC manufacturing.  It's solid steel and has been pared down to be just what's needed for the job with no waste.  I forgot to toss it on my gram scale before mounting but it is advertised as being less than a quarter ounce.  It inserts into a single 1/2" hole from the inside of the handguard and is retained by a "Spirolock" device on the outside assisted by a pair of setscrews from the inside to prevent the mount from rotating.  This is a smart design on the part of IWC - it places all the slinging stresses in compression against the inside of the handguard instead of in tension on the thread of fasteners.  All the Spirolock really needs to do is prevent the QD socket from being pressed into the handguard, something it does very effectively.  The QD fits well in the space between heat shield and handguard with no issues; I like how it uses a single hole instead of a pair of holes that must be precisely placed.  It incorporates a limited rotation feature, too.

OK, enough background - how to install this puppy?

Here are the QD components and what I used to install it into my midlength MOE handguard.  For tools, I used a 1/2" Forstner bit in a cordless drill for the main hole, a 1/8" drill bit for spotting the setscrew locations and a hobby knife for cleaning up the hole after drilling - any knife will do.  Not shown is a small flat bladed jewelers screwdriver that I found to be helpful in installing the Spirolock retainer.

I first taped the outer and inner surfaces of my MOE to allow measuring and marking and also to protect against tool slips.  I projected the slot edges using a steel rule and a pencil and determined the hole's location.

I then lightly marked the drill location with a center punch and drilled it with a 1/2" Forstner bit in a cordless drill.  Go easy and let the bit do the work - Magpul uses a tough polymer for their handguard.

After the hole was drilled I lightly cleaned up the hole edges by chamfering both sides with a hobby knife.

Next, I threaded the setscrews into the back of the mount but kept them below flush of the front surface.  I inserted and held the QD in place and installed the Spirolock device.  It's designed very much like a split keychain ring, you need to gently spread the coil and walk it into the retaining slot.  The QD has two slots to accommodate both the thickness of a TRX-E and the thinner MOE - I installed the Spirolock into the outer slot then repeated the process to move it to the inner slot.  It's very similar to installing a McFarland gas ring, you gently twist it on like a Slinky.  I used a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver to spread the coils and prod the Spirolock into place.

Magpul's polymer is tough enough that the setscrews work best if you lightly dimple their location on the inside surface of the MOE.  I positioned the mount and lightly tightened down the setscrews to mark their position, then backed them off and rotated the QD 90 degrees to expose the spots that were just made.  I then centerpunched the positions and used a 1/8" drill bit from the inside to make a pair of shallow dimples for the tips of the setscrews to bed against.

Last, I rotated the QD back into position, put a dab of threadlocking compound on the setscrew threads and tightened them down.  These setscrews do not need to be overly tightened - all they do is snug the QD down and prevent it from spinning in the hole.  Don't gorilla them - "farmer tight" is too tight!

The result is a low profile, low mass limited rotation QD socket that integrates seamlessly into the MOE handguard.

Many thanks to Earl and the crew at IWC for making this much needed accessory and for giving me the opportunity to get a sneak preview!  I think these will be available on their website in the next few weeks, I'm told the production run is off at the finisher's right now.

ETA: I found a better way of marking the setscrew positions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Very slick. Good work.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
they said they are going to offer all lengths of the moe in all colors magpil offers with their new mount already installed also. if i want to use their new mount i would need a new set of middy moe hg anyhow. my hg now have holes already in them from other iwc mounts i have on. if getting the pre mounted doesnt cost anything extra over the new hanguards and mount then thats the route im going to take.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice work HD!  Looks very clean!
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#5]
That looks great! That is ingenious of IWC, true innovation! I was going to go with their TM QD mount to use on my standard middy guards, but now I may wait and go with a MOE and this. The only thing that concerns me is how well the set screws prevent the QD from rotating. How much force can it take before the set screws come out of the divots? I would be willing to drill two additional holes and use regular screws and washers to make sure that thing is going no where.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Steve, I tried to make it spin by putting a screwdriver through a QD loop and trying to lever it around - no luck.  I really don't think it's going anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I gotta get one of those. Super slick.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I want one! Where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I noticed that the other day in the thread where I ask you about the little hand stop / grip.

nice job - guess I have to try one

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want one! Where do I sign up?

They should be available in the next few weeks.  I'm sure Earl will put up a thread in the "New AR Products" forum when they're ready.

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I really like these, but I have a magpul sling with the quick detach hardware and have not one in use with this sling mount.  Can anyone chime in if it this mount would work with an MS2?
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Does this interfere with the heat shield on the inside of the hand guard?  is there any rubbing or issues of this rubbing the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I am really interested in this but have 2 questions.

1- Will this fit on a MOE carbine handguard?

2- Instead of using the set screws could you drill 2 small additional holes and use cap screws?
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I really wish I would have seen this before I spent 35 on a troy qd socket and small moe rail section that sticks out way too much :(
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Two  One question:

Why not anodized aluminum?

and if not, do you plan on offering a blackened version?

ETA, reading comprehension
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am really interested in this but have 2 questions.

1- Will this fit on a MOE carbine handguard?

2- Instead of using the set screws could you drill 2 small additional holes and use cap screws?

Thanks... Demand is high for this part. Yes, there is ample room for it to fit on a Carbine and yes, we spaced the QD away from the holes to allow you to drill all the way through the MOE and button head screws will clear.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

sorry trying to picture this.....you saying drill through the 2 holes on the back  and from the front of the handguards going in use button head screws?  so you would actually see the QD mount hole...and 2 button head screws in handguards?
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
But... I really believe HeavyDuty's method of installing them is all that's required to securely attach this MOUN-N-SLOT to a MOE Hand Guard.

MOUNT-N-SLOT[/quote]

I briefly considered adding the two additional holes, but I really don't think they're needed.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#23]
heavy duty  does it feel very secure.....I just worry over time that the 2 set screws will back out....I know you added loctight, just thinking outloud here
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
heavy duty  does it feel very secure.....I just worry over time that the 2 set screws will back out....I know you added loctight, just thinking outloud here

Extremely secure - I tried to get it to move by sticking a screwdriver through the loop of a QD and twisting but I couldn't get it to budge.  That and the setscrews actually bite into the handguard.

I really don't think it's going to go anywhere!

Link Posted: 4/4/2011 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I will be trying this very soon....

Link Posted: 4/8/2011 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm told these are now shipping if you call in - they're not on the website yet...
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Excellent.

Any idea of cost?
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I think $15.95.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I just updated the installation tutorial to use a better way of marking the setscrew location.
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm getting good at this!  

Link Posted: 4/9/2011 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow! I'm glad I held off on the one that goes in the slot, I like this alot and it's way more affordable!
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Ordered 2 of these
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I received my Micro Mount-n-slot Monday morning and after work today worked on them well into this morning.  Started a Micro Mount-n-slot in M4 USGI Handguards thread so as not to hijack this one.  Picture heavy.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm ordering mine tonight; Can't wait!
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ordered 2 of these

Here is the 2nd one installed.  Great product, glad somebody finally made this.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine should be here Tuesday.

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ordered 2 of these

Here is the 2nd one installed.  Great product, glad somebody finally made this.

http://www.poto-oil.com/photography/firearm2011/mns-qdmicro-01.jpg
http://www.poto-oil.com/photography/firearm2011/mns-qdmicro-02.jpg

The other thing I'd like to point out is that I didn't have a 1/2" forstner bit handy (or at all) and just used a normal general purpose 1/2 bit, and while the hole could have had cleaner edges, the locking ring covers up any of the edge that you can see.  I used my benchmade to clean up any of the edges too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Put mine into some carbine lengths yesterday. There is not enough room between the first slot and the end of the guard for the mounts "bracket" to go horizontally.

I don't know if it will fit vertically, because I just lowered and offset mine a bit. I might need to order another to check.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
. I'll post a pic of my install tomorrow.

I believe you. Really. I have another set of carbine guard to do. This time it's vertical.

I had no idea you guys were so close to my hood. Pretty neat.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Heres mine.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Just did this to my mid length.  customer service was great.  The literaly pulled off the side of the road after hours and took my order over the phone.  i did used a sm screw driver for the circle clip thing and kind and kind of did a twisting motion to get it on.  Also i could not  Figure out how to drill sm divits for the set screws so i used my stippleing tool.  Now i just need a sling.  sorry for the poor verbage im new.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Just ordered my second one!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Me too.  Confirmation email said 1-2 weeks to ship. :(
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.  Confirmation email said 1-2 weeks to ship. :(

I ordered all I needed the day they were released
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I got mine installed tonight, but I have a question or two.

1)   Is the Magpul  "plastic" really that hard, or was my new bit dull

2)   Did everyone install the circle thing in the top slot or the bottom slot?

3)   Did anyone else have to bend the heat guard a little to get it back together because it hit the mount?

Other than that, it is AWESOME and now my sling finally seams to "fit" the way it should.   And I can't believe  how fast they shipped the item.    I ordered it at 9:03 AM on a Saturday morning EST, and I had a shipping number in less than 30 minutes.   Also, it shipped on Sat from CO and I received it in PA on TUE––-even though Monday was a Holiday.    THAT IS FAST SHIPPING!    THANKS!

I will be ordering something else soon.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I got mine installed tonight, but I have a question or two.
1)   Is the Magpul  "plastic" really that hard, or was my new bit dull? ––- Both. Metal bits don't drill it well. And the self piloting bits dig to fast. ––-
2)   Did everyone install the circle thing in the top slot or the bottom slot? ––- Mine is on the bottom if I remember right. ––-
3)   Did anyone else have to bend the heat guard a little to get it back together because it hit the mount? ––- I don't think I bent anything. ––-

I'm not a pro at this install though. Mine is in and works great. Easy to install. Check out the pic thread in the IWC forum for pics of my rifle. If you sit and stare at the gun too long, things start going wrong with it. Best to just shoot it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top