Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2010 6:58:14 AM EDT
So does anyone here,believe that bayonets are still useful in the modern world of combat?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#1]
i sure like to collect them useful or not as military weapon. There hasn't been a bayonet charge in many a war. The intimidation/coolness.
factor still exists.. Still a handy way to poke something at a standoff distance you'd rather not poke up close and personal,
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes  there are and will always be a need for it.   It's warfare anything can happen.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]

This

...Furthermore, there is only so much ammo one can carry.
...and as a tertiary point, they ALWAYS serve a psychological benefit
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
A bayonet turns a rifle into a spear.

Spears have been used for at least four hundred thousand years.  Some of the various monkeys use spears too.

While a pointy stick is not the worlds best fighting weapon, it works, and it kills.  The Romans knew that it was the penetrating wound from the Gladius that killed quickly.  The spear provides a low cost, easy to train, penetrating weapon.  This caused the spear to be the most common weapon until the advent of the firearm.  And so even after the widespread use of the firearm, people kept the ability to use the firearm as a spear.

Some would foolish argue that the firearm also doubles as a club, and that this club is a fine weapon in it self rendering the bayonet unnecessary.  Those people do not know their history.

While a rifle does make a functional club, it is not the buttstoke that often kills.  I have buttstroked several people.  It is good for distracting, injuring, or forcing compliance.  However in the military fighting setting the buttstroke was ment to be create the opening to bayonet the enemy.

The bayonet is obsolete, modern warfare doesn't need it.  However fighting with spear like weapons is just as effective as it was 400,000 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm getting one. Matter fact. I have a little money to spend..... Maybe I'll order one up.

Got one coming. I picked up the onterio 493 M9 for $95. But the stupid place I bought it from said it will be a week till it ships.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#7]

I've got some bayonets but not as much as some members here, the large one is the Ontario OKC3S USMC Marines and the others are various brands of the older M7 bayonet.

My favorite is my OKC3S (NSN: 1095-01-506-3424) Marines bayonet, they're stronger than older types of bayonets and they're also available in a different blade style the OKC 1FTS model.

Ontario Knife Co. reference info:

OKC3S: http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/3

OKC 1FTS: http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/13

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Bayonets are not just usefull for fighting, a bayonet on the end of a AR can pry open a door or window, open a crate of ammo, cut wire, probe for mines, etc,etc. The bayonet is still a valuble tool on the modern battle field.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top