Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2007 12:36:08 PM EDT
Does anyone store their AR in a Pelican case, if so, are there any rust worries?
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not store it in  a pelican for extended periods of time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Foam tends to trap moisture, hence worries of rust.

Link Posted: 8/1/2007 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have stored my Hasselblad cameras in one for many years without any problems. I have one, recently purchase, for some rifles. I would recommend keeping a drying solvent in the case and purge the air. I do not see any trouble with rust. Just my .02 worth.
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't store a rifle in any case.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My department patrol rifle has been in the Pelican case now for....... going on 3 years.  No rust yet......  
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:40:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Pelican, as with any "case" is for transporting firearms. Not storage.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#8]
All of my guns are on racks in my gun room except one.  I have an AR SBR in a fitted Pelican case with accessories and it has been there for 5 years.  I only take it out to shoot it and for some cleaning and so far absolutely NO RUST of any kind.  I mainly keep it in the case now because I WANT TO SEE if it will rust like everyone says it will, but so far you can't tell it has been in a case for the past 5 years.

MadDog
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:54:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#10]
How about if you use one of these and then put it in the case??? that is how i was planning on storing mine until i have enough guns to need and the money to buy a safe.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How about if you use one of these and then put it in the case??? that is how i was planning on storing mine until i have enough guns to need and the money to buy a safe.

Any other methods of controlling moisture?

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#12]
There is nothing wrong with storing your guns in a case, IF your willing to do periodic inspections, and the case seals.  As with all our military gear that are in containers, there are monthly, quarterly, or yearly inspection criterias for each individual component.

I suggest using the appropriate amount of desiccant for the size container you have.  The desiccant packs should tell you how many square in/ft it will cover.  If your gear is in foam padding, put your gear in barrier paper, along with the desiccant packs inside with your gear, and then put the gear into its place.  Add extra desiccant to the container.  This will insure maximum protection from the elements.  Then, at your discretion (I would say every 3 months), check periodically to make sure your desiccant is still good, and that your gear doesn't have any corrosion on it.  Keep in mind desiccant can be reused, so if it does go bad, just heat it up in the oven to let it dry.  If you spot corrosion on your gear, clean it off, and redo all the steps.

Now also keep in mind if your pulling it out every few weeks to shoot, then all of this is not needed.  I only recommend what I've given here as long term storage.  

If you do use the items regularly, wait until the temp of the gun is equal to the temp of the case before you put you weapon in the case.  This will prevent sweating.  Since you would be using the weapon regularly, clean it when your done with it, and stick it back in the case.  No desiccant needed, but you could throw a pack or 2 in there just to absorb any moisture that might get in there if you were paranoid about it...
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top