Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2005 5:50:12 PM EDT
On Emerson's website, he uses it with an MP5, which is a much smaller weapon.  I'm wondering if anybody has used this sling with an AR-15/M-16.  Does anybody know if it's available in other colors?  I don't really want black.  How well does it work while wearing plate carriers and such?  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate all single point slings-- They let the rifle woblle all over if I ever want to go hands free-- how would you climb a wall--? just let the rifle ride the wall?  Not with my weapons.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you know what a single point sling is designed to do?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope, that's why I made the thread.  I would presume that it's main purpose is that of any other sling: to keep your weapon from hitting the ground if you need to let go of it for whatever reason (grab your pistol, whatever). What advantages it has over a 2- or 3-point sling, however, I have no idea.  I ordered a 3-point with the AR that I have coming.  I was just wondering if a 1-point was practical.

If you'd like to tell me what a 1-point was designed to do, I'd appreciate it.

As for colors and fit over armor, I was just curious.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#4]
i used a single-point sling (Blue Force DSG/YHM adapter) in Iraq for about two days.  it was like a hinge for the weapon in every direction.  the single point adapter with the sling attached also ended up being another thing to hang up on wires, curtains, etc.  i went right back to a three-point.

i don't recommend the chalker, simply because it's a single point sling.  the fact that it's centrally-placed tells me it's for a much smaller weapon anyways.

i know you didn't ask my opinion, but there it is anyways.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, I very much appreciate your opinion, thank you!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The single point sling is designed to give maximum ability to manuever.  Both shoulders are available to shoot from with the single point.    If you are dropping the weapon to transition to other objects, it can be a chore until you are familiar with it pros and cons.  

The three point allows less movement, but restricts use of both shoulders.

Each sling does things that the other can't, and you need to train with it to get up to speed.  

I had a strong dislike for single point slings until I tried the one that is made by www.jtrusty.com.  After using that one, I've switched my duty and training slings over to it.  I would suggest you try both, and go from there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard that you need two people to put the Chalker on

Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I heard that you need two people to put the Chalker on

+1 to hearing that it takes two to get into the chalker

I'm not a fan of single point slings. They ought to be sold with an athletic protector.......
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 to Stick.
You need to be aware of what the sling will and will not do.  I needed something that would let me keep the weapon on me, allow either shoulder to be used, and could keep the weapon out of the way at times.  I also needed something that could be removed from the weapon to enter/exit a vehicle.  That way I didn't have three feet of grabass snagging on everything.
I generally don't have a problem with the barrel giving me a nut-thump.  I usually keep the sling point to the left of center, and when the weapon drops it hangs to the weak side.  It will slide right under my armpit if I want it completely out of the way, and at that point makes a nice armrest.
ETA:  The ASP that Stick and I have come in several colors.  I got the Coyote, and he's also got tan, OD, black, and he's talking about white.  One nice thing about the ASP is that the tublar design and 1" width lets it route and slide across chest rigs, armor, or whatever.  You shouldn't have a prob with it fittig over stuff:  I've got a 54" chest and have plenty of slack on the sling if needed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The single point sling is designed to give maximum ability to manuever.  Both shoulders are available to shoot from with the single point.    If you are dropping the weapon to transition to other objects, it can be a chore until you are familiar with it pros and cons.  

The three point allows less movement, but restricts use of both shoulders.

Each sling does things that the other can't, and you need to train with it to get up to speed.  

I had a strong dislike for single point slings until I tried the one that is made by www.jtrusty.com.  After using that one, I've switched my duty and training slings over to it.  I would suggest you try both, and go from there.

I bought a Black Hawk chalker sling also and didn't like it.  It didn't fit right and was hard to get into.  I bought the sling above and love it!  Cheaper too..
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The Chalker is the one that ties into the LBE right?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I would go with the 3-point sling The Wilderness makes... Best sling around, atleast I think so...
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 I've got a 54" chest and have plenty of slack on the sling if needed.

So the "m" stands for Moose24shooter?

The people who drop a weapon into their nads are the poeple who don't train with their equipment, at least that has been what I've seen while running the line.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#14]

The people who drop a weapon into their nads are the poeple who don't train with their equipment, at least that has been what I've seen while running the line.

Amen to that. I've been using a Wilderness single point for over 2 years and never hit my self in the "nads" How the hell someone can do that is beyond me. I guess when their weapon goes dry in a firing stance they just Open Both hands and let it drop......

Like anything, technique needs to be applied. I love single point slings. since I don't patrol or ride in a Humvee or stand in line for chow or pull PM  in full battle gear any more, the need for a 3 and 2 point sling is not their.

To do all the above , 2 and 3 point slings work very well. but for what i use and need a carbine for now. 1 point is the way to go.

Great Mobility
Not a lot of straps to get hung up on
easy on and off
no clutter on the front half of my weapon
easy of transition from one shoulder to another (even thought I never shoot from my weak side personally)
I can go hands free just as easy and the weapon stays put along my left side.

just my own Mileage.......
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Momma raised us right in South Texas.  Corn fed, plenty of frijoles and beef.  Everybody in my family is tall, although I am the biggest.  My grandfather was called Tiny.  I grew up as Hoss.
My son is probably going to be bigger than I am.  He's already bigger than I was at his age.  My poor daughter is rail thin, but just a little shorter than her brother.  Hope she finds somebody tall.

I've really never had the problem.  Even with nothing on my chest I keep the rifle off center.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 to the ASP sling.  Tried others and hated them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#17]
My WGAS vote is single point w/strap, no HK ring.  IMO, HK style allows more flopping/swiveling and w/a vertical forearm grip... Well, then can you spell "cup".

A single point presents/carries the weapon in a more vertical manner and that adds just a little bit more interference between you as a target and objects approaching you at high velocity at those moments just before you find cover.  I'd rather have aruined weapon than a really ruined day.

SP also reduces the need for horizontal clearance around doorways and other confined spots.

Then again, there are those times when a single point is a disadvantage, like on the recons over distances in open terrain.  Multi-points easy the strain on the neck/back.

Just MHO.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#18]
When I needed extra length for a Giles sling for over armor, I simply asked Wilderness to do it.  They did it no problem and no charge for me.  This was over ten years ago though.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I know this board is pretty old, but I just joined here and saw this.  Just like what everyone above said, there is a love/hate relationship with single point (of any point, for that matter) slings.  I have used the Chalker sling to some extent in the Navy for two years.  I used them on two fairly large weapons, the Mossberg shotgun and the M14 rifle.

It doesn't take two people to put on the Chalker, it's easier than it looks really.  Once you've got the right adjustment it takes less than thirty seconds to put on.  This is a sling where you pretty much have to have a hand on the weapon at all times.  It wasn't good for climbing and other activities that required your hands.  Using a strap to secure the weapon wasn't that better either (doesn't help that the weapons I used were fairly big).

Why did I get the Chalker sling?  Well, I didn't want to buy a sling for every long gun we had on the ship.  If I could find a sling that worked with all, then that is what I gave as a try.  For simpler setup that was easy to put on (though sometimes a hassle to put on the weapon), I used the single point sling that Tactical Tailor had...that was two years ago, so I don't know if they still have it.  Attaching the Chalker strap to the weapons were simple enough...they look unsecure, but I haven't found a point where they worked themselves loose either.  Some may still tape up the strap for a sense of security.  The most important reason for getting the Chalker is that the sling is cradle on your shoulders and it did indeed do a fair job of not getting anywhere close to my face...that was important, as I stood watch with a gas mask and have done drills with a gas mask.

The Chalker is kind of expensive, at least when I got it.  I know there's a multitude of slings out there now so I don't know what the trend in styles, points and prices are now.  But I ended up mainly using it on stationary sentry posts, where I didn't move much and I was able to keep my hand on the weapon most of the time.  It's easy to detach the weapon in emergencies, for those that like being ambidextrous, this works as well.  Especially important in a contaminated environment if you have a has mask.  You CAN, with training, use a standard 3 point with a mask...but it requires training to make sure you don't break the seal.

The Wilderness was my first M14 sling, but it was a little to rough on me when I had to move constantly.  For roving patrols, I ended up getting the CQB solutions sling (I think they're called Specter now) for the M14.  There were no roving patrols with the shotgun, just stationary sentry posts and I had the Chalker and such for that.

In the end, the Chalker is fine for it's intended military purposes.  I don't know what you'll be using it for, but you'll probably be better off with the simpler designs.  If you want less fuss with your weapon, the 3 points are more stable.  Single points are fine as long as you're not climbing with them or doing a very physically active evolution requiring both hands.  If you have a smaller weapon, a retention strap may help.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I realize that this thread is old but, like the guy above me, I am also new to AR15.com. I just switched to a Tactical Link Stealth QRB single point sling. I my opinion this is quite possibly the nicest single point sling I have ever used. The quality is first rate and the design is awesome. I work on a full time SWAT team and use the sling all the time. I have tried other slings and feel that this one fits the bill for a person who made need to transition to their sidearm or other weapon. The sling works like this. The sling is available with 2 different mounting options. I currently use a replacement receiver end plate which has a locking mechanism that swivels 180 degrees. Your sling then locks into the 180 swivel which allows a completely free range of motion. It provides a smooth transition from your dominant hand to non-dominant very quickly. Someone mentioned trying to climb over obstacles with a single point sling. This sling allows you to quickly sling your weapon over your back if needed to climb fences or whatever. It is not the cheapest priced sling but the price is definitely worth it. If you are looking for a new sling check out their web page. WWW.TACTICALLINK.com  Excellent web page with more pics than you can possibly imagine. After ordering my sling I was contacted by the company. They were extremely helpful and competent. Also, for you those of you in Law Enforcement, it is endorsed by the NTOA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a self correcting problem though!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I suggest you look into the KAC single point mount. It replaces the plate on the receiver extension with spots to mount a ball bearing loaded QD sling swivel on either side. I loved mine, but sold I to my bro when he needed it more than I did.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I suggest you look into the KAC single point mount. It replaces the plate on the receiver extension with spots to mount a ball bearing loaded QD sling swivel on either side. I loved mine, but sold I to my bro when he needed it more than I did.

That's cold man, making your own brother pay in a time of need...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I started out with a 3-point setup, I didn't like it because it was to bulky and had to much going on.

Then I tried a Sling point setup, too much floping around for me.

Now I use a IDFish sling I made my self, I difntly prefer the 2 point setup the best.

Its the easiest to get in and out of.

Im still firguring out a good setup for the mounts. I think Im going to go with a para cord setup and make some longer elastic covers for the snaps
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's cold man, making your own brother pay in a time of need...

I had $275 into parts I sold him for $200! I subsidize his gun habit!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#26]
CJ, the truth is out, now we all know you pimp off your left overs to your brother to go buy new toys......
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
CJ, the truth is out, now we all know you pimp off your left overs to your brother to go buy new toys......

Please, don't tell everyone!

Actually I am going to get another KAC unit cause they are just that good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I realize that this thread is old but, like the guy above me, I am also new to AR15.com. I just switched to a Tactical Link Stealth QRB single point sling. I my opinion this is quite possibly the nicest single point sling I have ever used. The quality is first rate and the design is awesome. I work on a full time SWAT team and use the sling all the time. I have tried other slings and feel that this one fits the bill for a person who made need to transition to their sidearm or other weapon. The sling works like this. The sling is available with 2 different mounting options. I currently use a replacement receiver end plate which has a locking mechanism that swivels 180 degrees. Your sling then locks into the 180 swivel which allows a completely free range of motion. It provides a smooth transition from your dominant hand to non-dominant very quickly. Someone mentioned trying to climb over obstacles with a single point sling. This sling allows you to quickly sling your weapon over your back if needed to climb fences or whatever. It is not the cheapest priced sling but the price is definitely worth it. If you are looking for a new sling check out their web page. WWW.TACTICALLINK.com  Excellent web page with more pics than you can possibly imagine. After ordering my sling I was contacted by the company. They were extremely helpful and competent. Also, for you those of you in Law Enforcement, it is endorsed by the NTOA.

+1 about everything he said
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I've used single, double and triple mounts, and I believe ther is "No Perfect Sling". Actually, the 2 point is probably the MOST PERFECT for ALL Applications.

I have a single point BFG on my M4, but it's purely a "Tactical" set up. I want to be able to go from my primary (M4) to my secondary weapon without thinking about where I'm going to dump my carbine.

If the Single point is positioned properly (a lot higher than most I see) it wll not bust MY NADS. (YMMV). If I am climbling, I just pull it around my toroso, and it stays there, until I pull it back to the front.

All of that said, if I had to do nothing but "Patrol" or survey the "North 40" all day, I would go for the "Tried and True" 2 point sling. It just "Works".

Just my $.02 worth.

Tack

Tack
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If the Single point is positioned properly (a lot higher than most I see) it wll not bust MY NADS. (YMMV). Tack

Nor will it bust your nads if you train with it.  It shocking how people blame an inanimate object for striking them when they are the ones who drop it.  

Note-  I don't mean this reply to be towards Tack, I am simply commenting on what he said.  There has been a lot of talk lately about single point slings hitting the user, I've got to wonder if those people complaining have much hands on time with a weapon.  

Skills take more than being in the military or LE, it takes training and dedication, which are things you can't buy your way into owning.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I started out with a 3-point setup, I didn't like it because it was to bulky and had to much going on.

Then I tried a Sling point setup, too much floping around for me.

Now I use a IDFish sling I made my self, I difntly prefer the 2 point setup the best.

Its the easiest to get in and out of.

photos-266.facebook.com/n6/266/n15918608_30252266_5857.jpg

Im still firguring out a good setup for the mounts. I think Im going to go with a para cord setup and make some longer elastic covers for the snaps

Exactly what I've gone through, and where I'm at now, though I use a Blue Force Gear 2-point IDF style w/ paracord.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top