Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2005 8:27:00 AM EDT
I am looking for a good set of 4-rail handguards for my bushmaster AR-15 carbine, were is a good place to look?  Are their any brand I should advoid?
Thanks in advance
Icon
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I recommend the original Knight's Armament RAS for a non free floating outfit and
the Samson for a QD free floater. The Knight's free float RAS, Daniel Defense and
the LARue for the most rigid free floaters. All can be had in the E&E forum here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
What's your price range?  Do you want/need free-floating?  Will you fill up all that rail space with gadgets, or just want to hang a light?

The more I look into the matter, the more I like a clean tube that I can mount a small section of rail on.  I really like the D&L Sports forend, but could go with a J&T Enterprise model, or that PRI tube.

Yankee Hill Machine, non-ff rails, are getting rave reviews and are dirt cheap.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the YHMs and for the money, they're good.  Depending on your price range, you could probably do better though.  My YHMs are great for me and at around $100, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have just a light right now, but I plan to buy more soon.  I don't want free floating for this ar, but the one I am buting next month I will.
thank you
Icon
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have the YHMs and for the money, they're good.  Depending on your price range, you could probably do better though.  My YHMs are great for me and at around $100, you're good to go.

+1

I just run a VFG and a 6P on a Vltor mount and am very satisfied with the YHM rails.  IMHO the time spent to fab a handguard tool is well worth the saved hassles when mounting these rails since tolerances are pretty tight. the Maryland ar15 shooters sight has easy inst if you need them.

YMMV

Blitz
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you guys think about the ARMS SIR as a freefloating handguard?  Overpriced?  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I like my ARMS #22M68 and my #40 but, I'm not a fan of the SIR's.  They seem to be pricey for what they offer given all of the options currently on the market.

YMMV

Blitz
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a Troy, wished I bought a LaRue.   Let your wallet be your guide
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
The YHM are awsome for the money.  Don't like the surefire because it isn't level with the flat top rail.  I don't believe in paying same price for a handguard as I did for the complete upper.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Brian427cobra,,,why don't you like your TROY??? what's better about the larue??? another ? is your TROY THE MRF-C 7INCH?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#13]
personally I like the DD better than most, but larue is up there as well. I REALLY like the larue 13.2.

I have the troy mrf-c and the DD 12.0 and prefer the DD much much more, it has better cooling and weighs only 2 oz more than the troy and the troy is 5 inches shorter!!!

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am looking for a good set of 4-rail handguards for my bushmaster AR-15 carbine, were is a good place to look?  Are their any brand I should advoid?
Thanks in advance
Icon

You really need to give us more information before anybody can give you a good recommendation...

What is your price range?
Do you need or really want it to be a free float (FF)?
Do you care it it's a one piece or two piece?
Do you have any need or desire to easily remove the rail?
Is your flash hider permanently attached (BM Izzy brakes are usually permanently attached from what I understand(?) as well as non-sbr’ed 14.5” barrels)
Do you have the tools and\or desire to remove your barrel (from the upper) and your FSB (from the barrel)?
If not, do you mind sending you upper out to a dealer or gunsmith and paying extra to have one installed?

The LaRue and Daniel Defense one-piece FF rails are considered by most to be the best two out there on a purely functional level but depending on your skills\tools may be a pain to get installed. Depending on your needs, they may be over kill? Depending on your budget may be over priced?

If so, there are many other options that are either cheaper and\or easier to install and functionally will be just as good depending on your needs and desires.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#15]
FAQ: The Big Thread On FF & Railed Forends

More info here than I could put in one post.

FWIW, I have a 2 pc YHM on my M4gery now, but only because of the perm. phantom.  

On everything else, I'd go with Larue or DD.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#16]
If you are looking for non-FF 2 piecers and are considering the YHMs, I'd recommend the MI 2 piece forearms. They are very nice and only a few bucks more than the YHMs, but don't have that channel running down the middle that will make mounting certain VFGs questionable. I bought mine through Bravo Company at a pretty good price. Check him out if interested.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm getting a Les Baer 4 rail FF tube with Baer Coat, only because I can get the whole assembly for $100.  
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top