Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 12:08:43 AM EDT
INTERESTED IN SEEING PICS OF RANGE KITS AND-OR HEARING WHAT OTHERS PACK TO RANGE FOR A DAY OF SHOOTING, NECCESSITIES AND CREATURE COMFORTS.  EXAMPLES OF WHAT TYPE OF GEAR-CLOTHING YOU CHOOSE TO SHOOT IN, TYPES OF RANGE BAGS-BOXES AND CONTENTS, CLEANING BAGS-BOXES AND CONTENTS, ECT.  COMPARISANS SHOULD BE INTERESTING.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.gargoyleglasses.com/images/classic-clear-safety.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ndsproducts.com/2151011.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/hoppes/hoppedes/hoppepic/3000.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.garysoutfitters.com/images/ProductImages/PSBP-L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://bushnell.com/productinfo/spotting/products/781817.jpg[/img]

Im too lazy to take pics but this is the stuff I carry.  Its all cheap stuff compared to other guys stuff but it gets the job done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Being mainly a handgun shooter, I use a Shooters Connection's [url=http://shootersconnection.com/shootingbag.htm]Tournament Bag[/url]

[img]http://shootersconnection.com/images/TournBag_large.jpg[/img]

You might be interested to know that [url=https://www.bagmaster.com/website/cart/shopexd.asp?id=89]Bagmaster[/url] made a range bag specifically for AR shooters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
EXCELLENT SUGGESTIONS SO FAR, ESPECIALLY BAG RECOMMENDATIONS.  THANKS GUYS.  HOW ABOUT SOME DETAILS FROM EVERYONE ABOUT NECCESSITIES INSIDE THEIR RANGE BAGS?  ALSO HOW MANY OTHERS ALSO BRING A TOOLBOX WITH THEIR CLEANING GEAR AND TOOLS INSIDE IT TO RANGE AND WHAT ARE THE SPECIFIC CONTENTS?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry hex wrech set.  I have hex nuts on my stock (m93) my sight (PRI) grip (g27) etc.  My bag is a Bagmaster and it has adjustable internal dividers so I have 3 sections inside to seperate my stuff.  I carry a segmented cleaning rod for stuck cases and a can of CLP and a rag.  You dont really need any more than that.  I also carry stickers to go on targets to make more things to shoot at.  Your own staple gun is nice if you have a range that has wooden target frames.  I used to carry a laser range finder but someone stole it from work [:(]

Other must haves are bottled water and a sweat rag.

Im sure some of the survivalist guys have a complete First Aid kit with quick clot, asherman chest seals, etc for gunshot wounds and what not.  You might want a good pair of shooting gloves and a LULA loader, front sight tool and a hat.

As for clothes I wear something with a tight neck usually crew or mock turtle neck so hot brass wont fall down my neck.  I wear boots I dont care get muddy and some old jeans.  Other people I know bring a chrongraph or competition timer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
....... FOR A DAY OF SHOOTING.......
View Quote

....Of shooting with what ?

With SWSs , assault rifles or handguns ?

The kit'd be different for each of the above hardware.

PP out
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, Pinco also needs to know if its night or not to so he can know whether he needs to bring a PVS14, PEQ2 and a sound suppressor or not.  LOL
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I just throw everything I can think of into some ammo cans and go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, Pinco also needs to know if its night or not to so he can know whether he needs to bring a PVS14, PEQ2 and a sound suppressor or not.  LOL
View Quote

Correct.

I also need to know if a Panzerfaust III is needed and  , may be , even a Stinger ManPad too !

PP out
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#9]
THANKS TO DEVL AND N2299, I FOUND A NEW RANGE BAG AND EYE WEAR I THINK I MIGHT BUY.  PP, OBVIOUSLY DIFFERENT FIREARMS (RIFLE, HANDGUN, SHOTGUN) WILL REQUIRE DIFFERENT SUPPORT SYSTEMS (AMMO, MAGS, CLEANING GEAR, ECT).  

THOUGHT IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO:
1. SEE WHAT CONTAINERS OTHERS ARE USING TO GET THEIR GEAR TO THE RANGE, (EX: CORDURA BAG, PLASTIC TOOL BOX, DITTY BAG, AMMO CAN, ECT).  
2. WHAT GEAR IS IN THE CONTAINERS AND WHY.  
3. HOW THEIR GEAR IS SET UP (ALL IN ONE BAG OR BOX OR MULTIPLE BAGS AND BOXES).
4. WHERE SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE FOUND A DECENT DEAL ON A GOOD PIECE OF EQUIPMENT THAT HAS SERVED THEM WELL.

IF I LEARN, IT IS GOOD.  I HAVE ALREADY LEARNED, THERE FORE IT IS GOOD.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Range bag:

- pencil (for round count, notes, etc. and doesn't run in the rain)
- permanent magic marker (marking targets, etc.)
- ComTac's
- extra disposable ear plugs
- masking tape (targets)
- tape measure (it's not just for breakfast pics anymore[;)])
- empty folded SA battlepack bag (for policing brass)
- hardshell case w/ Oakley M Frames (clear and persimmon lenses)
- paper towel
- small bottle of CLP
- attached to my Eagle rifle mag shoulder pouch is an Otis cleaning kit (front sight tool, cleaning kit and baby Tylenol eye dropper type bottle full of CLP -- which doesn't drip BTW)
- baby wipes are in the car, though my shooting buddy carries a small package in his range bag

My range bag use to be a medium sized Marlboro duffle bag that my mother-in-law got for free after sending in Marlboro packages that she got from a friend.  [BD]  Now it's a $10 heavy duty canvas contractors bag that I found at Menards.  FWIW, Menards also had a bunch of smaller "soft" contractors tool bags that are great for loading all your ammo into ($4.99).

When my wife goes shooting with me, her glasses and ear muffs also go in the bag.  I manage to get a pistol, ammo, mags and maybe a scope into the range bag.  Then I carry a separate bag with my rifles.  There is also a big duffle bag in the trunk of my car that holds 3 PVC pipe target stands (firring strips, targets and IDPA sized cardboard targets are in there as well).  If I want to clean everything at the range, I'll also bring a small tackle box with my cleaning supplies, as well as a roll of paper towel.

By the time all is said and done I usually end up with two large loads of stuff to haul from my car down to the firing line.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#11]
It typically takes a well-developed nation to out-kit PP.  [hail2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget the TP!  You can never count on someone providing it for you!  Always carry TP in you range bag / Truck / car.

Yup.

TP.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It typically takes a well-developed nation to out-kit PP.  [hail2]
View Quote

.....Here is PP flying on his executive jet..... [-=(_)=-]

[:D] PP out
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#14]
THREAD IS LOOKING GOOD TO ME.  THAT'S A GREAT POST COREY.  THANKS ALOT.  A HARD CASE FOR THE OAKLEYS, HANDI-WIPES, TYLENOL EYE DROPPER WITH CLP, MENARD'S EQUIPMENT DEALS, PVC STANDS.  THESE ARE INNOVATIVE IDEAS THAT ARE WORTH LISTENING TOO.  THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS HOPING THIS THREAD WOULD PRODUCE.  THANK YOU.  KEEP THE REPLYS COMING.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I just went to the range last weekend, so this is what is in my bag right now.  It needs minimized again.

- SA Battlepack 3/4 full of used brass.  
- AR sling.
- Pistol mags.
- Mag holder.
- HKS Speedloader.
- Couple of old black socks that I use as gun rags.
- Howard Leight earmuffs.
- Bunches of Howard Leight foam plugs.
- Lens cloths.
- Colt safety glasses.. clear, red, yellow.
- Wet wipes, a.k.a. baby wipes.
- Grabber Hand Warmers.
- Ammo, more ammo.
- Belt clip for the earmuffs.
- Cap.

An overly large "cleaning" kit that includes:

- Lots of cotton patches.
- Q-tips.
- Toothpics.
- Two inkpens (how'd those get in there?).
- Stripper clip spoon.
- Couple of spare firing pins, trigger parts,  other spare parts, broken parts, parts for guns I don't have (yet).  
- Snapcaps.
- Half of a burned plastic fork.
- Lighter.
- AR stock wrench.
- Spare magsprings.
- Non-linting Q-tip-like swabs.
- Small bottle of CLP.
- Small bottle of FP-10.
- Small bottle of MPro-7 oil.
- Small tube of Tetra Gun Grease.
- A mostly empty bottle of Mpro7 gun cleaner.
- 1 OZ container of Neco Moly-slide.
- Toothbrush.
- GI "Toothbrush" cleaning brush.
- USGI cleaning rods.
- A large variety of new and used brushes and patch holders.
- Several 3ml syringes partially filled with the various lubricants and oils listed above.
- Couple of dirty ass gun rags.

In the trunk I have another bag:

- Two PVC target holders, broken down.
- Couple of black markers
- Paper targets.
- Orange target stickers.
- Couple cans of spray paint.
- Stapler.
- Extra staples.
- Masking tape.

In the trunk, not in a bag:

- Wooden uprights for the target holders
- Cardboard IDPA style targets
- Another SA battlepack filled with used brass.

Crap that's a lot of junk!  I need to go through it all and remove a bunch stuff that never gets used.

I almost always have a bottle of water with me also.  
Bug spray in the buggy season.
Sun block for long days in the sun.
Food if I'm staying longer than normal.
Other crap that I throw in last minute.

BTW, I'm now on my third "heavy duty" nylon bag.  The zippers have torn out of this one in a couple of places.  Do you guys think that's an indicator that it might be exceeding it's load capacity? [:D]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#16]
^
|
|

I always try to bring a ninja with me as well.

[peep]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#17]
guns, ammo, magazines (if needed), ear protection, (i wear glasses so no worry for me about eye protection), targets and my stapler...  thats my five-object list..(maybe six if i need mags; as always w/the AR which is all i've been shooting with lately [:D])

and i always take either binoculars, or a telescopic sight, but every now and then i forget it..  then i kick myself on the way back to my house to pick it up (on that long 2 minute drive [rolleyes])

and then i always carry extra ammo on strippers..

for a range bag.. hell i bought the $9.95 bag at cheaper than dirt..  it might fall apart or something, but its only $10 so not much lost..

clothes?  i just wear whatever.. today it was mesh shorts and a t-shirt..
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I use one of those Plano tackle-boxes that are made for shooting to permanently store all my junk.  I keep averything in there...cleaning rods, jags, brushes, bore guides, patches, oil, solvent, punches, hex-key set, gunsmith screwdriver set from Hoppes, muffs, glasses, borelight, Leatherman, a 12"x8" piece of cloth seat upholstery as a mat, and a bunch of other crap.  

It's a lot, but since I never switch bags, I never forget anything.  Plus I also use the box as a makeshift rest.  The only thing that doesn't fit is the one-peice coated cleaning rod.

--Otter
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Thread is looking good.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#20]
A month ago, I bought one of those Tasco "back pack" rifle bags on ebay for $17 plus shipping.  It is perfect for AR shooters; it holds everything!

In mine, I carry a complete lower, two complete 20" barreled
uppers, a long scope, a dozen mags, extra foregrips with mounts for accessories, A3 handle & mounting rails, extra detachable sights, reddot, 400 rounds of 22 or 160 rounds of 5.56, spare parts, tools, and 2 sets of collapsible ear muffs. Everything I need for blasting in a 36" x 10" x 9" compartmented bag.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#21]
danhits,
Good topic! (And thanks for turning off the all-caps![hail2])

As for what to put it all in ... I have used and like these:

Dillon Range Pack (now CED Shooter's Back Pack):
[url]http://www.cedhk.com[/url]
(Frees up your hands so you can lug around all that other stuff at, say, a three-gun match.)

MTM Case-Guard SPUD7 box:
[url]http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/camping/dry_boxes.html[/url]
(Waterproof, protective, easy to hose off after muddy/dusty range or field outings.)

Green Mountain Sport Specialties bag:
[url]http://www.greenmtnsports.com[/url]
(Quality construction, smart design & handy bag accessories.)

Regards,
mib2000
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#22]
mib2000...My hand is healing up and I will try to stick with proper typing now.  I got real used to the one hand peck method in all caps though.  You are right though, the yelling must stop...Arghhhh
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Roger that, bud. Take care,
mib2000
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is a pic of one of mine.A $10.00 nylon bag I found at a discount store,near the toiletry articles.

[img]http://i.xanga.com/elstudioray/rangebag1.jpg[/img]
under the tools on the left is a 'vinyl' zipped pouch with my oily cleaning tools.

[img]http://i.xanga.com/elstudioray/rangebag2.jpg[/img]

the outside has a pouch for rags and patches.

Safety gear I'm wearing,if I'm dialing in a weap and I need parts or tools I have a Plano box with all kinds of goodies in it.

BulletcatchR
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Innovation is a wonderful thing.  Great ideas.  Even though I'm an old dog, I'm learnin' new stuff.  Keeps the wheels turnin' and the gears churnin'.  Keep it comin'.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Always bring a tool bag (USGI ~ foot long) with the assorted screw drivers, pliers, punches and allen wrench.  The most important tool is a plastic / rubber hammer, as someone always gets something stuck at the monthly shoot (full auto) plus a set of soft jaw pliers.  These two items have help many times over the years.

The cleaning kit is in a five gallon bucket, with couple cans brake cleaner/gun scruber, Break Free, Bore cleaner, rags, Viva paper towels and assorted pull throughs.  The bucket (and tool kit) is for everyone to use when either get too many rounds fire during the day or for a spot cleaning in the field at the end of the day.

Also bring a case of water bottles, partly to drink and for first aid use

Cleaning goes nicely when we are having a cook out at the barn afterwards (once also took the 3/4 hp air compressor and ultrasonic cleaner ... but that is probably a little on the excessive side ... LOL [;)]

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Would like to hear more about the cook out and the barn.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top