Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2003 12:04:18 PM EDT
It seems simple enough but I firgured I would ask here for "lessons learned" before doing it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Bottom of this page; [url]ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/[/url]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Much appreciated.  How do I properly torque the buffer tube in place?  Neither of my two torque wrenches has a "tube" adapter [;)].
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
All I can speak for is telescoping stocks, I've never played with a fixed.  Make sure you have a good stock wrench.  Loosen the stock ring, keep the plate pressed firmly against the rear of the lower.  Carefully pull the plate back, making sure not to loose the spring and detent for the takedown pin.  The rest is really simple.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All I can speak for is telescoping stocks, I've never played with a fixed.  Make sure you have a good stock wrench.  Loosen the stock ring, keep the plate pressed firmly against the rear of the lower.  Carefully pull the plate back, making sure not to loose the spring and detent for the takedown pin.  The rest is really simple.
View Quote

I should have clarified:  Edited to add "A2" to title.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Much appreciated.  How do I properly torque the buffer tube in place?  Neither of my two torque wrenches has a "tube" adapter [;)].
View Quote

In the case of a telescoping stock, the tube is not torqued, it is placed just far enough to hold down the buffer retainer with the buffer retainer post protruding.  BTW, Make sure you don't loose this part or its spring when you unscrew the buffer tube.  What you're probably wondering about is the buffer tube retaining ring/nut.  Just tighten it down by hand as best you can with a tele-stock wrench, it's not going anywhere.  The torque specification isn't any tighter than you can get with your hands and a wrench.  Don't go overboard and rip up threads.  I found this is VERY hard to do, even with 9" of leverage (I have a good stock wrench).
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]
All you need to do is remove the top buttstock screw and the buttstock will slide right off the tube.  Just be careful not to loose the spring and detent for the rear takedown pin.

I wouldn't worry to much about "torquing" an A2 buffer tube.  The rear of the tube has a built-in square nut, so if you use an adjustable wrench you'll be all set.  There's also a limiting ring on the receiver end of the buffer tube, so you won't be able to tighten any further than that anyways.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All you need to do is remove the top buttstock screw and the buttstock will slide right off the tube.  Just be careful not to loose the spring and detent for the rear takedown pin.

I wouldn't worry to much about "torquing" an A2 buffer tube.  The rear of the tube has a built-in square nut, so if you use an adjustable wrench you'll be all set.  There's also a limiting ring on the receiver end of the buffer tube, so you won't be able to tighten any further than that anyways.
View Quote

Now that I think about it, do I even need to remove the buffer tube to install a reciever end plate sling attachment?  Perhaps removing only the buttstock itself will do the trick?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top