Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2021 3:33:26 PM EDT
I wont be dropping $900 on an Aimpoint Comp5 any time soon, so to me its between the MRO, and the (to me) lesser known Steiner DRS1X.

Anyone have experience with the latter?  

Platform:

This will be applied to a Daniel Defense DDM4V&.

Purpose:  

Range toy / main defense

Optic to be swapped out with 1-6x Leupold to get my red dot training.  Need something stupid easy to use with a nice big fat eye-box to give me a break off the 1-6x so I can actually run and gun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The Steiner is fricking cool looking so if that’s what you want go for it I’m sure you’ll love it

But practically the MRO has the edge just simply due to it being lighter and probably simpler

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah - cant help it but it does look like it belongs on a Daniel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go MRO of the two.  I'd go MRO over an Aimpoint T1 as both have similar parallax results.  Sometimes you can find T2's for $600 used on the EE.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Separate Topic:  My Leupld is a 1-4x 30mm.   Its form like 2010.  very clear.  Not even shot.  ut feel liek thigns have cahnged a ot sicne them.  1-10x everywhere.  Trijicon, Eotech, Nightfovce, etc.

What do you guys think?  Keep it an train, or trade it and upgrade?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Separate Topic:  My Leupld is a 1-4x 30mm.   Its form like 2010.  very clear.  Not even shot.  ut feel liek thigns have cahnged a ot sicne them.  1-10x everywhere.  Trijicon, Eotech, Nightfovce, etc.

View Quote

Keep it and learn how to use it. If you discover it is lacking in some way, can always 'upgrade' later.

I have a NF NSX 1-4x24 that is at least as old. Still does what I need it to do, so it stays.
Newer or more popular isn't always better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Keep it and learn how to use it. If you discover it is lacking in some way, can always 'upgrade' later.

I have a NF NSX 1-4x24 that is at least as old. Still does what I need it to do, so it stays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  That 1-4X will give you a great eyebox.

Train with it and if it meets your needs you are set.

If you need to switch, or a non-Daylight bright reticle makes your pee-pee hurt, then upgrade later.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#7]
DRS1x has exceptionally good collimation, so it will have less parallax than MRO and I like switchable reticles.

MRO probably has better battery life.

ILya
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Battery life isn't a consideration for me, unless its a constant on.  I'll look that up.

Do you think the column option is good for first time red dot shooter?  I know you can turn it off and on.

Optic height is a consideration, and I dont know if there are Mounts for the Steiner.  Do you know of any?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
the biggest knock on these is the battery life. Aside from that, they've fixed a lot of what went wrong in the first generation. If there's 1 big thing i like it's the window, it huge and it doesn't give you the tunnel vision effect like other red dots on the market. I have an Aimpoint Comp M5, Trijicon MRO and SRS - i like the different options of changing the red dot also which gives you quick acquisition on your target. I set it at 25 and 50yds depending on the situation. There's not much out there on this but I think it's due to the price point. Overall it's a competitor depending on your needs of course...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top