Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2021 3:02:50 PM EDT
This looks really appealing optic at under $1k.  At half the price of the Razor Gen3, this fills a pretty wide gap in the market.  I've been impressed by my Ares BTR and have heard the ETR punches above its price point.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlon-optics-ares-etr-1-10x24-atmr3-ffp-ir-mil-uhd-212104/4e5b4310-220f-0139-6d8a-00163ecd2826?variation=2891647

The reticle looks similar, and I'm curious to see how the illumination looks at 1x.

I've been debating upgrading from an old 1-4x SWFA to a new 2-10x Vortex Viper, but this new Athlon could be the ideal Recce optic for those of us that don't want to spend $2k on a scope.
It'll be interesting to see some heightened competition in new LPVO optics over the next couple years.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This looks really appealing optic at under $1k.  At half the price of the Razor Gen3, this fills a pretty wide gap in the market.  I've been impressed by my Ares BTR and have heard the ETR punches above its price point.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlon-optics-ares-etr-1-10x24-atmr3-ffp-ir-mil-uhd-212104/4e5b4310-220f-0139-6d8a-00163ecd2826?variation=2891647

The reticle looks similar, and I'm curious to see how the illumination looks at 1x.
https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/ATMR2-FFP-IR-MOA-110PWR.png

I've been debating upgrading from an old 1-4x SWFA to a new 2-10x Vortex Viper, but this new Athlon could be the ideal Recce optic for those of us that don't want to spend $2k on a scope.
It'll be interesting to see some heightened competition in new LPVO optics over the next couple years.
View Quote

Someone made a thread about this around a month ago.

Everyone seems to shit on China made optics, but I have a PA 1-6/1-8 FFP and an Atibal 1-8 FFP and for the prices, I have 0 complaints.

You can actually get it at around 650ish with Mil discount if you are Mil verified. I'm waiting to ExpertVoice has this optic so I can purchase it on a discount.

Also, it's to my understanding that when stocked in ExpertVoice, the Vortex 1-10 Razer Gen3 is around 1k.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
24mm objective?  Meh!
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Someone made a thread about this around a month ago.

Everyone seems to shit on China made optics, but I have a PA 1-6/1-8 FFP and an Atibal 1-8 FFP and for the prices, I have 0 complaints.

You can actually get it at around 650ish with Mil discount if you are Mil verified. I'm waiting to ExpertVoice has this optic so I can purchase it on a discount.

Also, it's to my understanding that when stocked in ExpertVoice, the Vortex 1-10 Razer Gen3 is around 1k.
View Quote

The vortex mil discount is 40% off msrp, which is not nearly as good as it sounds and brings the gen 3 to $1750. Expertvoice also charges tax + shipping so the deals really aren't that good. AAoptics(same one that sells refurbs) offers Vortex products with the mil discount but doesn't charge tax/shipping and also comes with a free shirt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I'm the guniea pig

Just bought one from USA Binoculars. They had 2 left yesterday and 1 left today when I asked so it looks like they are starting to ship already.  I grabbed the last one left today hopefully.

I'll post here or start a new thread once I check it out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just bought one from USA Binoculars. They had 2 left yesterday and 1 left today when I asked so it looks like they are starting to ship already.  I grabbed the last one left today hopefully.

View Quote

Don't start a new thread. Let us know here and update the OP. Too many new threads to keep track of for people.

Do you have other LPVOs to compare it to?

Like when someone ask what's the best torque wrench every single week and a brand new thread. Don't be that guy lol.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't start a new thread. Let us know here and update the OP. Too many new threads to keep track of for people.

Do you have other LPVOs to compare it to?

Like when someone ask what's the best torque wrench every single week and a brand new thread. Don't be that guy lol.
View Quote

I'm contemplating this thread getting archived as a possibility which is why I said that. Been here long enough to not "be that guy".

Yes I have other LPVOs to compare it to. Actually owned the new Vortex gen lll 1-10x, NX8s,MK6's ATACR's ect:
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm contemplating this thread getting archived as a possibility which is why I said that. Been here long enough to not "be that guy".

Yes I have other LPVOs to compare it to. Actually owned the new Vortex gen lll 1-10x, NX8s,MK6's ATACR's ect:
View Quote

You're the perfect person to be the guinea pig
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're the perfect person to be the guinea pig
View Quote

If it's anything like their other ETR series it should be pretty nice.

I'm going to assume from the get go that it will not be as daylight bright as the others I owned. Would be nice to be wrong but I doubt it at that price point? My 2 Vortex gen lll 1-10x were able (for me anyway) to be used at 1x without the illumination on in bright daylight.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If it's anything like their other ETR series it should be pretty nice.

I'm going to assume from the get go that it will not be as daylight bright as the others I owned. Would be nice to be wrong but I doubt it at that price point? My 2 Vortex gen lll 1-10x were able (for me anyway) to be used at 1x without the illumination on in bright daylight.
View Quote

Have you tried any of the budget LPVOs like the PA slx line, Atibal, etc, to compare to those?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Have you tried any of the budget LPVOs like the PA slx line, Atibal, etc, to compare to those?
View Quote

Yup had the PA SLX and GLX line. Also had a couple of Japan made PLX 1-8x that were outstanding all they way from 1-8x and daylight bright on 1x. Was just to heavy at 27oz. I liked them over the Razor 1-6x gen 1 I also had.

The 2 GLX 2.5-10x I had were outstanding also and better to my eyes than the PST Gen ll's I have had. Both Philippine made glass and much lighter than the PST gen 2's.

I was very underwhelmed with the one SLX 1-8x I had and sold it right away.

I forgot to add that I had 2 Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10x that I really loved!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Gman,

Glad to hear you're getting one of these...

It'll be good to hear a review from someone with experience with a bunch of optics including top tier.

I've had one Athlon and it was pretty darn good.  A Midas Tac 4-16x44.  Only reason I got rid of that one was it was just too big for my purposes.

Seriously considering one of these  

Keep us updated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sweet! I knew you'd come through for us

Looking forward to it
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Welp looks like there could be a delay in my receiving this optic and being able to talk about it here.

USA binoculars.com told me they had two in stock when I ordered one and three days later they just tell me that they went out of stock.

Going to have to wait and see what the scoop is now because I think they were full of it when they told me there were 2 in stock. cameralandny.com says later this month.

Iv'e been Botached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:48:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Another update.

Fingers crossed once again. SWFA has them in stock. I have ordered from them and surfed there before and they usually don't list something as "in stock" unless it is really in stock or they will have the pre-order button.

I'll update again if I get a shipping notice.

If anyone in the meanwhile gets one please let us know what you think.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#15]
SWFA has been GTG for me in the past. Hope they come through for ya. Curious to hear the review on this scope.

Sounds like USA Binoculars joined the "nope" list
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SWFA has been GTG for me in the past. Hope they come through for ya. Curious to hear the review on this scope.

Sounds like USA Binoculars joined the "nope" list
View Quote

Yeah I think they might drop ship everything there maybe.

I did notice they had a few optics listed as not in stock.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like Athlon just updated their site.

The 1-10x now weighs 26.9oz

They had it at 19.2

That's a 7oz more than they spec'd earlier.

This thing better surprise me and be really nice with that weight penalty!
Kind of turned off now by it
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Their catalog still says 19.6 oz so I hope that is just a mistake. I just contacted Athlon to verify the weight, hopefully someone knowledgeable of the real weight figures it out. I pre-ordered on from cameraland but may reconsider or hold out a little longer if it really is 26oz.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Their catalog still says 19.6 oz so I hope that is just a mistake. I just contacted Athlon to verify the weight, hopefully someone knowledgeable of the real weight figures it out. I pre-ordered on from cameraland but may reconsider or hold out a little longer if it really is 26oz.
View Quote

I'm thinking the same thing, accept I may be too late as SWFA list them as "in stock" They almost never list something they don't have as in stock and if it's coming out later they will usually list it as a preorder.

I wonder though if it means it may be more rugged and that's why the heavier weight?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#20]
What's the old adage?  There are 3 choices, but you can pick 2:

Low Price
High Quality
Light Weight

Even if this does weigh about 2 lbs with a mount, that's not terrible if it works well. I think most lightweight guns might be better suited with a simple 1-6x or 3-9x anyway.  This seems like it could still be a pretty good option for a rifle that bridges the gap between Recce and SPR roles.  I'm interested to see how it compares to the other optics in this price range like the Vudu, Credo, Tango6T, XTR2, SMRS, and so on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What's the old adage?  There are 3 choices, but you can pick 2:

Low Price
High Quality
Light Weight

Even if this does weigh about 2 lbs with a mount, that's not terrible if it works well. I think most lightweight guns might be better suited with a simple 1-6x or 3-9x anyway.  This seems like it could still be a pretty good option for a rifle that bridges the gap between Recce and SPR roles.  I'm interested to see how it compares to the other optics in this price range like the Vudu, Credo, Tango6T, XTR2, SMRS, and so on.
View Quote

Did you order one yet than?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]
As much as I try to support local business, SWFA has burned me on mounts in the past... “in stock” only to get an email a few days later that it actually not in stock and not available to drop ship from the mfr.... the email then stated it was now on back order

Either way good luck gman! Still following to see how it all turns out!

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As much as I try to support local business, SWFA has burned me on mounts in the past... “in stock” only to get an email a few days later that it actually not in stock and not available to drop ship from the mfr.... the email then stated it was now on back order

Either way good luck gman! Still following to see how it all turns out!

View Quote

Yeah I have a feeling they are not in stock anywhere yet.

I may cancel if they pulled that crap and just wait and get another gen lll 1-10x or even a March 1-10x since I sold my MK6

I'm really dying to try one though because even though a few here disagreed with me I was really impressed with my Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10's for what they were. I had to keep picking them up and looking through them because I was shocked at how nice they were. Some were comparing them to a Vortex strike eagle but I had a couple of those also and my eyes were saying the Arrowheads were much better.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah I have a feeling they are not in stock anywhere yet.

I may cancel if they pulled that crap and just wait and get another gen lll 1-10x or even a March 1-10x since I sold my MK6

I'm really dying to try one though because even though a few here disagreed with me I was really impressed with my Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10's for what they were. I had to keep picking them up and looking through them because I was shocked at how nice they were. Some were comparing them to a Vortex strike eagle but I had a couple of those also and my eyes were saying the Arrowheads were much better.

View Quote

I was gonna say. . .might as well dish out 1500 more for a March F 1-10x shorty. Plus, apparently those can use a single 30mm mount such as the Scalarworks QD flip-to-side one ring magnifier mount rather than a 30mm 2 ring scope mount.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm waiting for reviews at this point.  My initial desire was for a 2-10x for a general purpose SPR that could see some hunting.    Now I see Athlon announced a Helos 2-12x at $500 with a similar reticle, and I'm wondering if that might be a better fit for my intended use:
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm waiting for reviews at this point.  My initial desire was for a 2-10x for a general purpose SPR that could see some hunting.   Although now that I see Athlon announced a Helos 2-12x at $500 with a similar reticle, and I'm wondering if that might be a better fit for my goals:
https://cipher.dakiscdn.com/i/https://1410dd2bdd37e05ebf19-a2305060cc55ab8db83b1ef4b8835a6b.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/DWAxDlzujwc-CeXcBbPTdA?w=1024&h=1024&p=1&a=1&q=display
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm waiting for reviews at this point.  My initial desire was for a 2-10x for a general purpose SPR that could see some hunting.   Although now that I see Athlon announced a Helos 2-12x at $500 with a similar reticle, and I'm wondering if that might be a better fit for my goals:
https://cipher.dakiscdn.com/i/https://1410dd2bdd37e05ebf19-a2305060cc55ab8db83b1ef4b8835a6b.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/DWAxDlzujwc-CeXcBbPTdA?w=1024&h=1024&p=1&a=1&q=display

I’ve been eyeballing that one myself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Yup SWFA drop ships these from Athlon and they don't have any right now so if you see any place saying "in stock" they are FOS.

Athlon says maybe 1st quarter of Feb.

I canceled my order to get my funds back to offset the cost of a March Compact Tactical 1-10x so for now I'm out of it for a Athlon review
for now.

At first I also had a line on another Gen lll Razor 1-10x with an ADM recon mount for $1999 but the guy flaked out on me.

Eurooptic has a 20% off sale until the 24th on all March optics. Saved about $400 on the March 1-10x. Was $25 more than a new Gen lll Razor with that discount.

I may still check out the Athlon but that is on the back burner for now. If anyone gets one next month please do a review here on it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I am really bummed about the weight being changed from 19.6oz to 26.9oz. I actually listed my Leupold VX-6-1x with the CMR2 reticle for sale because I thought I was getting 1-10x scope that has a BDC reticle with wind holds for a 5oz penalty. That would have been a no brainer but now the extra magnification requires me to nearly double the weight from 14oz-27oz (26.9). The 16" rifle only weighs 5-1/2 pounds, not sure I want a 2lb optic up there when I currently am under 18oz with the mount.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#29]
lol'ing at the crew who thought they were gonna get Razor gen3 performance and weight for half the price.

For a thousand bucks, just buy a Razor Gen2, or save a little more and get an NX8.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Are you still LOL'ing at Primary Arms? They did it with their platinum 1-8x with a daylight reticle to boot! I think it weighed close to the Vortex AMG 1-6x as well with very nice glass. It has proven to compete.

The NX8 does nothing for me reticle wise and a lot of people complain about the eyebox being very finicky. The ATACR on the other hand is a nice package but more exclusive do due its price. You're right though, for half the cost we shouldn't be complaining, we have to give up something. It just hurts they teased us with the wrong weight.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
lol'ing at the crew who thought they were gonna get Razor gen3 performance and weight for half the price.

For a thousand bucks, just buy a Razor Gen2, or save a little more and get an NX8.
View Quote

While I may agree with you somewhat nobody here ever said any of this. Please show me where anyone said those exact words?

I think everyone here realizes they are not going to get Razor performance from a lower budget optic but it may be close. Not everyone will be able to afford a razor or an NX8.

I just got a March 1-10x arriving here today and if I really am impressed with it as I was with my MK6's/NX8's/Razors ect: I just can't get one for each rifle and will maybe be trying the Athlon one day. Do I know I won't be getting razor or nx8 performance? Your God danmn right I do. But I'm sure I would be happy with it's performance.

You would make a good candidate for CNN today the way you just spun this whole thread.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I think we all understand the compromises that are expected when it comes to "budget" optics.  If I can get an optic that's 75% as good as a Razor for 50% of the price, then I'll gladly accept some of the drawbacks (weight, glass, illumination, etc).  Will a Razor make me more accurate?  Will I miss more shots at range with an "inferior" scope?  In most cases, probably not.  It's just a matter of trying to find the best value for a specific budget.  And luckily, the value offered by sub $1k optics is getting better every year.  For most users, going much above the $1k price range is really getting into the point of diminishing returns.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, looks like Primary Arms just released their 1-10x in their new 2021 catalog. Made in Japan by JOL and daylight bright reticle. No release date or price but will probably be on upper rend of their GLX lineup. I ordered the Athlon already but I'd like to see both side by side.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top