Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hmm? I assume you did, since you’re the one that brought it up in the first place. The fiasco WRT the ‘lying’ or whatever you referenced was mostly about thermal drift. That’s not to say they do/don’t have other issues. Every optic does.

I think that you think I’m biased, which is ironic. I don’t really have a dog in this. I have multiple examples of every most brand that comes up in this subforum. And yes, when I look through my EoTechs they look fine. Only problem I had was an old 511 referenced earlier that liked draining batteries. My EXPS’s and XPS’s have been great. I don’t doubt other people have had issues, as could be said of every other brand. More or less than competitor X? Dunno. Anecdotes are just that, and the plural of ‘anecdotes’ is not ‘data’.

EoTech threads always get so emotional. It’s odd.
View Quote
I've never once brought up thermal drift in this discussion, and I'm 99% certain I've never brought it up as a major factor in any other discussion regarding Eotechs. I personally dont believe that's as big of an issue when compared to the fact that EOtech optics dont perform as marketed. Which was the gist of the DOD lawsuit and reason Eotech bought everyone's optics back at MSRP to avoid any further lawsuits.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:41:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've never once brought up thermal drift in this discussion, and I'm 99% certain I've never brought it up as a major factor in any other discussion regarding Eotechs. I personally dont believe that's as big of an issue when compared to the fact that EOtech optics dont perform as marketed. Which was the gist of the DOD lawsuit and reason Eotech bought everyone's optics back at MSRP to avoid any further lawsuits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm? I assume you did, since you’re the one that brought it up in the first place. The fiasco WRT the ‘lying’ or whatever you referenced was mostly about thermal drift. That’s not to say they do/don’t have other issues. Every optic does.

I think that you think I’m biased, which is ironic. I don’t really have a dog in this. I have multiple examples of every most brand that comes up in this subforum. And yes, when I look through my EoTechs they look fine. Only problem I had was an old 511 referenced earlier that liked draining batteries. My EXPS’s and XPS’s have been great. I don’t doubt other people have had issues, as could be said of every other brand. More or less than competitor X? Dunno. Anecdotes are just that, and the plural of ‘anecdotes’ is not ‘data’.

EoTech threads always get so emotional. It’s odd.
Yes you did, but apparently you’re unaware of it. You’re referencing the great EoTech debacle of 2015(ish). That was almost exclusively related to thermal drift. I’m positive you can find other complaints made during that period, but that was what the issue was over. Or are you unaware of why you’re upset with EoTech, and just know you’re upset with EoTech?

It’s ok if people like what you don’t like. Which is neither here nor there either way, as it’s not the subject of the thread. OP asked what model EoTech he wants. Several here have helped with that. You’re not among that group.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:22:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes you did, but apparently you’re unaware of it. You’re referencing the great EoTech debacle of 2015(ish). That was almost exclusively related to thermal drift. I’m positive you can find other complaints made during that period, but that was what the issue was over. Or are you unaware of why you’re upset with EoTech, and just know you’re upset with EoTech?

It’s ok if people like what you don’t like. Which is neither here nor there either way, as it’s not the subject of the thread. OP asked what model EoTech he wants. Several here have helped with that. You’re not among that group.
View Quote
I read the DOD suit, I'm aware of why Eotech's dont work as advertised. I sent at least 4 back for a refund personally.

You took away different conclusions than I did after reading the DOD documents, assuming you read it. You quoted me and apparently assumed I was speaking about thermal shift, when I was talking in general about L3's pattern of lying and concealing their own inhouse testing of defective optics which contradicted their marketing and sales literature, and defrauding both their civilian purchasers and govt contracts - nitrogen that leaked out of "sealed" optics within minutes if not hours specifically. And admitting that more than likely , nothing they have ever produced was in fact "sealed".

As I wrote before, I don't think the thermal shift was as much of an issue for civilians as the engineered in designs flaws that made Eotechs susceptible to water incursion and internal corrosion, which they were specifically marketed as being immune to.

Who the fuck knowingly pays $500+ for a red dot that the electronics degrade internally and/or stop working in humid environments due to corrosion, or that are clearly marketed as waterproof to 50m when in fact, the optics are not waterproof at all ? Thermal shift might be an issue for some, whereas the fact that Eotechs aren't sealed or waterproof is an issue for everyone who owns one.

No one has to like what I like or dislike, but if they're asking for advice on which Eotech to buy, they should be aware that Eotechs dont perform as marketed and never have with well documented, known defects.

OP asked for opinions, mine is to completely skip Eotech and buy something with the reticle you like from a company that doesnt have a history of systematic fraud and thousands of documented optic failures.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I read the DOD suit, I'm aware of why Eotech's dont work as advertised. I sent at least 4 back for a refund personally.

You took away different conclusions than I did after reading the DOD documents, assuming you read it. You quoted me and apparently assumed I was speaking about thermal shift, when I was talking in general about L3's pattern of lying and concealing their own inhouse testing of defective optics which contradicted their marketing and sales literature, and defrauding both their civilian purchasers and govt contracts - nitrogen that leaked out of "sealed" optics within minutes if not hours specifically. And admitting that more than likely , nothing they have ever produced was in fact "sealed".

As I wrote before, I don't think the thermal shift was as much of an issue for civilians as the engineered in designs flaws that made Eotechs susceptible to water incursion and internal corrosion, which they were specifically marketed as being immune to.

Who the fuck knowingly pays $500+ for a red dot that the electronics degrade internally and/or stop working in humid environments due to corrosion, or that are clearly marketed as waterproof to 50m when in fact, the optics are not waterproof at all ? Thermal shift might be an issue for some, whereas the fact that Eotechs aren't sealed or waterproof is an issue for everyone who owns one.

No one has to like what I like or dislike, but if they're asking for advice on which Eotech to buy, they should be aware that Eotechs dont perform as marketed and never have with well documented, known defects.

OP asked for opinions, mine is to completely skip Eotech and buy something with the reticle you like from a company that doesnt have a history of systematic fraud and thousands of documented optic failures.
View Quote
We are treading zero ground that is either A) new, and B) relevant. Seems like you don’t like EoTechs. You should start your own thread about that. Or don’t. But I’m not going to muck up this thread about it anymore in the interim either lol

OP asked for which EoTech he should be looking at, I’d advise the EXPS series if he wants QD or lower-third cowitness, or the XPS if he wants absolute cowitness or to save a bit of cash.

ETA: Oh and I don’t remember if I said it at first but I’d probably just as soon keep the holosun, or go up to an Aimpoint instead. I never liked having to remember to turn my EoTech on, if it’s an HD rifle I would rather it just be ready to go. In the past I’ve forgotten to turn it on, and either way it’s a step I’d rather not have to take. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll give it 70/30 odds....against.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh boy, an EoTech thread, these go well.
I'll give it 70/30 odds....against.
Clairvoyance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the EXPS3-4 (I think, can't remember the exact number but it has the 4 vertical  dots).

I find the Eotechs to be the fastest sight for me to use, ymmv.  I generally run the front iron + the Eotech and have for years w/o any issues, the four vertical dots form a sort of post that just works for me.

The night vision compatible models are rated for higher water resistance than the regulars... that may justify the cost difference for you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like the EXPS3-4 (I think, can't remember the exact number but it has the 4 vertical  dots).

I find the Eotechs to be the fastest sight for me to use, ymmv.  I generally run the front iron + the Eotech and have for years w/o any issues, the four vertical dots form a sort of post that just works for me.

The night vision compatible models are rated for higher water resistance than the regulars... that may justify the cost difference for you.
View Quote
You are correct the the -# indicates the number of center dots.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, this went downhill fast.  I thought the early posters were joking, but holy hell!

So, from the perspective of a newb, I'd just interject that Eotech is one of exactly 2 companies offering true holographic technology, and as such a $100 Chinese knockoff will not maintain a 1 MOA dot after magnification, assuming you can find a knockoff under 3 MOA (I've looked).

I'm not sure I care about a past screwup, so long as they got their crap together moving forward.  If not, that's what courts, lawyers, and punitive damages are for, no?

In any case, thanks for this thread, because it inspired me to look into the Eotech a bit deeper and WOW, they cater to guys like me!  I just found my next optic!

9 oz HWS for 300BLK
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

EOTech user since around 2000 (active duty). I never broke an issued HWS and never had an issue with the ones I personally owned. Running a Green EXPS these days.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9318/oNYiJd.jpg
View Quote
This has been my experience.  I ran the same 512 on four of my six ground guy deployments.  Never noticed any drift.  I did religiously change out my batteries but as a guy who carried multiple radios for a living I was pretty much paranoid about any batteries dying on me.

ETA: OP, I’m probably getting two EXPS soon because I prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness.  My current EOTech is a 552.A65 D1 with a single dot but no Circle.  I like it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Delam, thermal shift, purge loss etc aside Eotech offers a true holographic sight that is NV capable, nobody else is.

Messed around with a HS510C and the parallax is noticeable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Life's too short to stay mad. Here, dude. Hit this.

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#12]
EXPS3-0
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]
After reading this thread as I await the arrival of my recent XPS2-2 purchase in the EE, I feel all snuggly and validated inside!

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After reading this thread as I await the arrival of my recent XPS2-2 purchase in the EE, I feel all snuggly and validated inside!

View Quote
Despite the lamentations and gnashing OG teeth from fanboys, I’m sure you’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Can anyone comment on the GG&G Accucam for an XPS2? Worth the $?  FO or NO?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have NV or ever intend to get it the buy an EOTech model with side illumination controls.

If you will never own NV then any model will work.

I prefer the newest short models. Their longer models that have the elevated battery compartment would be my second pick. Those can be mounted fully forward on your upper just like the short ones. The raised battery compartment will clear your handguard.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve had eotechs, aimpoints, acogs, and holosuns. A couple of each but (although only 1 ACOG)

Of these I would not trust the EOtech to HD use. I would trust the Aimpoints, Acogs, and newer Holosuns though. Don’t get me wrong. I love my eotechs. I still have them. Most fun sight to shoot stuff with by far. The XPS 3-2/3-4 multi-dot reticles are extremely helpful for shooting further out. They are just so fast for target acquisition and running/gunning. Great flexibility with NV toys. Clear glass, good view, crisp reticle. All around Fantastic.

But I’ve just picked up my EOtech equipped guns one too many times to find a completely dead battery only months after having last used it and I KNOW they were put away turned off without much use on batteries.

A HD gun needs to be able to sit in a rack/safe/closet for months or even a year or more and know it WILL be on or turn on without fail. This hasn’t been my experience with multiple eotechs, not even XPS units. If I were kicking doors, jumping out of helos, or shooting rifle competitions for a living, it’s no big deal... just check your optic before game time and swap if needed. Home defense or patrol rifle role is entirely different. If I had to have one on a defensive carbine, I’d make it a point to try and check the power on it every few weeks.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ve had eotechs, aimpoints, acogs, and holosuns. A couple of each but (although only 1 ACOG)

Of these I would not trust the EOtech to HD use. I would trust the Aimpoints, Acogs, and newer Holosuns though. Don’t get me wrong. I love my eotechs. I still have them. Most fun sight to shoot stuff with by far. The XPS 3-2/3-4 multi-dot reticles are extremely helpful for shooting further out. They are just so fast for target acquisition and running/gunning. Great flexibility with NV toys. Clear glass, good view, crisp reticle. All around Fantastic.

But I’ve just picked up my EOtech equipped guns one too many times to find a completely dead battery only months after having last used it and I KNOW they were put away turned off without much use on batteries.

A HD gun needs to be able to sit in a rack/safe/closet for months or even a year or more and know it WILL be on or turn on without fail. This hasn’t been my experience with multiple eotechs, not even XPS units. If I were kicking doors, jumping out of helos, or shooting rifle competitions for a living, it’s no big deal... just check your optic before game time and swap if needed. Home defense or patrol rifle role is entirely different. If I had to have one on a defensive carbine, I’d make it a point to try and check the power on it every few weeks.

YMMV
View Quote
I am curious about the manufacture dates for your "vampire" Eotechs. I have have read that CR123 batts can last up to 1.5-2.0yrs on standby in newer Eotechs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the exps3 with fixed irons personally.  The only real drawback of an eotech is the battery/shut off.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am curious about the manufacture dates for your "vampire" Eotechs. I have have read that CR123 batts can last up to 1.5-2.0yrs on standby in newer Eotechs.
View Quote
Old. My EXPS/XPS one’s are probably 2013 or so. My XPS had lost purge at one mount but they fixed it for free and returned it - paid shipping both ways too :)
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
AFAIK this was an issue restricted to the older 51X series (5XX series?).
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can anyone comment on the GG&G Accucam for an XPS2? Worth the $?  FO or NO?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/153820/Screenshot_20200228-164340_DuckDuckGo_jp-1294967.JPG
View Quote
That takes me back. You don’t see GG&G much anymore. I had one on the EoTech I had an issue with that I mentioned earlier up there. 10 years ago? Anyway, my GG&G worked fine, it’s just a simple lever-tightening clamp design that’s not too different from most of its contemporary competitors.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Okay...so not an issue with the XPS#/EXPS#'s? Good to know.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to make blanket statements, because sure as anything the next poster in will say they had it happen to their XPS/EXPS, but AFAIK this is correct. Mine was amongst them too, it was definitely a real thing.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can't speak to the older gen EOTechs other than what I used in the service. My privately owned HWS were either the EXPS or XPS models, and none of them drained batteries when powered down.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Just got my first Eotech, an XPS2 green.  So far, I really like it.  Time will tell how it holds up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a 511 that I sold off years and years ago. I had forgotten how f-ing sweet Eotechs are...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Still absolute cowitness...but now in QD!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top