Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2018 5:55:14 AM EDT
I’ve handed over my aimpoint patrol & MRO to my son. Can’t stand the starburst red dot. Is there something out there with same quality that I can get without seeing the fuzzy dot but same quality or better? I’m willing to spend under $1,000. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Get something with an etched reticle.
I have horrible astigmatism and use a Leupold Prismatic.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Holosun 510c or eotech
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Vortex Spitfire 1X.  It's crystal clear.  The Leupold prismatic wasn't available, but that is the one I was looking for.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, I'm in the same boat. Currently converting all of my Aimpoints over to ACOGs.

The ACOGs are prismatic optics with laser etched reticles.

While I can shoot just fine with the star-bursty red dots, the ACOG reticles and glass are just super crisp and clear. Literally a night and day difference.

For red dot replacements, I highly recommend the TA44 ACSS (red or green is up to you): https://www.primaryarms.com/TA44-C-400307

Sootch has a deal on his Full30 video review of the TA44 ACSS that will give you a free QD mount.  I just picked up 2 more of them using his link.  It's a great deal.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Primary arms cyclops would be a good option.  If you dont mind a little magnification the Trijicon 1.5x with teh ACSS reticle from Primary Arms would be a good options as well.  Could always go with a good LPVO like the Stiener P4XI or Burris XTR1-5
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, I'm in the same boat. Currently converting all of my Aimpoints over to ACOGs.

While I can shoot just fine with the star-bursty red dots, the ACOG reticles and glass are just super crisp and clear. Literally a night and day difference.

For red dot replacements, I highly recommend the TA44 ACSS (red or green is up to you): https://www.primaryarms.com/TA44-C-400307

Sootch has a deal on his Full30 video review of the TA44 ACSS that will give you a free QD mount.  I just picked up 2 more of them using his link.  It's a great deal.
View Quote
Primary Arms also offers their prism sights with acss in 2.5x, 3x and 5x if budget is an issue.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Primary Arms also offers their prism sights with acss in 2.5x, 3x and 5x if budget is an issue.
View Quote
That is true. But...he said he wanted at least the same quality as Aimpoint PRO and Trijicon MRO and has a budget of less than $1k.

That's why I tossed out the TA44 ACOGs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Suck it up, get LASEK or PRK for your dominant eye, and enjoy crisp red dots, uber crisp scopes,  spotters, cameras, and unaided vision. It will be the best money you ever invest in optics.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you sir. I watched scootch & mrgunsgear review & this is the optic I will purchase.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Suck it up, get LASEK or PRK for your dominant eye, and enjoy crisp red dots, uber crisp scopes,  spotters, cameras, and unaided vision. It will be the best money you ever invest in optics.
View Quote
Some of us with astigmatism also have early onset cataracts.  That requires a replacement lens.  I still have a few more years, as I suspect many people do.  I have had the single dot split into three issue for 20 years and didn't wear glasses until recently.  So far, all I need to do is keep the brightness turned down.

If you wear glasses, I know that the prescription plays a uuuuuge part.  I bet that if you wear your up close prescription, the dot is much tighter.  I know it improves the shit out of my open sight picture.

A procedure isn't an option, until it becomes the only option.  Sometimes people don't like the outcome, so choose wisely.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for this post.  It will probably alter the dynamic of my Black Friday purchases.

Does it come with a mount?  What mount are you using?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Anything with an etched reticle and adjustable diopter.

Vortex Spitfire 1x (non AR) or Primary Arms Cyclops prismatics if you're looking for a RDS 1x alternative.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank you sir. I watched scootch & mrgunsgear review & this is the optic I will purchase.
View Quote
No problem.  Those 2 also sold me on it when I bought my first one earlier this year.

After having it for a few months and it really starting to grow on me, I finally made the decision to switch the rest of my Aimpoints over to the TA44 ACSS.

Sootch's affiliate link for the free mount makes it a killer deal IMO.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for this post.  It will probably alter the dynamic of my Black Friday purchases.

Does it come with a mount?  What mount are you using?
View Quote
The Sootch affiliate link provides the option for either a free ADM or free Midwest Industries mount.

I went with the Midwest Industries and have since standardized all of my mounts on them.  I really like their rail clamping and latching mechanism.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#16]
This
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]
An etched reticle optic will be ideal, something like a 1-4x scope. I have astigmatism and use Aimpoints and Eotechs. Eotechs seem to be a little better but I can use Aimpoints ok as long as I keep the brightness low. Looking at the optic through the rear sight aperture also makes either reticle perfectly clear.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That is true. But...he said he wanted at least the same quality as Aimpoint PRO and Trijicon MRO and has a budget of less than $1k.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm cheap, what can I say.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently purchased two Vortex Spitfire 1x AR prism sights, and I'm pretty impressed with them.  One went on a 3-gun AR15 and the other went on a AR15 that I hunt with.  Haven't shot anything with the hunting rifle, but I have used the 3-gun AR in two matches.  Just as fast close up and a lot more accurate at the longer ranges (out to 165 yards).
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a Cyclops
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
The 5X is pretty heavy though. I have one , didn't think it would be too bad but its gets tiresome and makes the weapon fairly top heavy causing side to side swinging when using it offhand for a while. Resting its great but damn its hefty. Great optic though, wish it were half the weight though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hey, if you think our 5x is heavy, try the Trijicon 5.5x ACOG. That thing is a foot long and 25.6 ounces, so hey, ours is compact dammit!
View Quote
True, thats a beast.. I do like the PAC5x I just need to rethink its application. Gives me an excuse to build another rifle.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Same issue here.  Anything prismatic i fine.  Vortex, Primary Arms, Bushnell, Trijicon, I have no problem with EoTechs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone had issues with negative magnification with 1x prism scopes? I think my spitfire AR might be defective.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anything with an etched reticle and adjustable diopter.

Vortex Spitfire 1x (non AR) or Primary Arms Cyclops prismatics if you're looking for a RDS 1x alternative.
View Quote
I like both of these, currently have two of each.  For 1x optics, I find these to work much better for me than red dots or holographic sights.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#31]
for some reason triangular dots don't seem to cause issues with astigmatism.  One of my local RO's has astigmatism and uses a Leupold Deltapoint, I have astigmatism and use a Meprolight M21.  Triangle is clear and perfectly crisp, whereas a dot type reticle gives me a grape cluster approx 20MOA across.  I use the tip of the triangle for precision shooting, and for fast stuff I just put the dot on top and let er rip.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I have trouble with red dots and started getting rid of them.

Current stuff I am using that is working for me:

ACOG 1.5 with ACSS green, got rid of the red one as it was too bright for me and bloomed.

Trijicon TR24G

PA 5x prism.  They should all do the trick.

Used to be fine with Eotechs, but it and the Vortex version don't work for me anymore either.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I struggle badly with astigmatism myself. I have been transitioning away from any type of RDS or holographic sight. I have two LPVOs, which are a Trijicon AccuPower 1-8 and a Vortex Viper PST 1-4, and I'm loving both of them so far. I also have a Vortex Spitfire 1x (predecessor to the Spitfire AR) and I love it as well.

The Primary Arms Cyclops looks really interesting as well. How bright is its illumination?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Several years back a ran a leupold prismatic on an ak. I really liked it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I struggle badly with astigmatism myself. I have been transitioning away from any type of RDS or holographic sight. I have two LPVOs, which are a Trijicon AccuPower 1-8 and a Vortex Viper PST 1-4, and I'm loving both of them so far. I also have a Vortex Spitfire 1x (predecessor to the Spitfire AR) and I love it as well.

The Primary Arms Cyclops looks really interesting as well. How bright is its illumination?
View Quote
Very.  I rate as daylight bright.  @fireman325
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Very.  I rate as daylight bright.  @fireman325
View Quote
Thank you. I ordered one yesterday. I'm really looking forward to shooting it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
for some reason triangular dots don't seem to cause issues with astigmatism.  One of my local RO's has astigmatism and uses a Leupold Deltapoint, I have astigmatism and use a Meprolight M21.  Triangle is clear and perfectly crisp, whereas a dot type reticle gives me a grape cluster approx 20MOA across.  I use the tip of the triangle for precision shooting, and for fast stuff I just put the dot on top and let er rip.
View Quote
This is my personal experience, too.  I use a Deltapoint Pro with 7.5 MOA triangle on my HD carbine, for that reason.  It clears up most, but not all of the distortion.  Much better than with a simple dot.

For OP, a simple solution that costs nothing, might be worth considering.   Raise your rear aperture sight and look through it while using your existing red dot sight.  Tell us if that helps.  Chances are good that it will.  For some reason, this really sharpens the image for most people with astigmatism.   If you can live with this solution it costs nothing.  Some people run a low profile fixed rear sight behind their red dot for this very reason.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I just got a PA 2.5X Prism sight, and the reticle is perfectly crisp, clear and easy to see.

Way better than a projected dot for me, to be honest.

Larry
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top