Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2018 8:05:11 PM EDT
I'm building a budget 10.5" with an ' F' marked FSB. I really like the LMT  rear sights, but don't want to spend that much on a buis...are any of the clones like UTG's version any good?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
UTG Slim is Good to go: Amazon Link

ARF Thread
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Get on the equipment exchange and buy a carry handle sight with a proper forge mark (can usually be found used for $40-60) and saw it down yourself. Best option considering the price.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get on the equipment exchange and buy a carry handle sight with a proper forge mark (can usually be found used for $40-60) and saw it down yourself. Best option considering the price.
View Quote
This too, if you are lucky you can get the actual LMT rear for $60.

The new UTG Slim is decent enough though. I was surprised at the quality compared to a chopped down Cardinal Forge sight.

The body however is billet. While the carry handles are forged. IIRC Forged has much higher strength than billet? While I love how lightweight/low profile is, the body on the UTG might not be as robust. However the quality of steel parts seems pretty similar to a milspec sight. (Phosphated and not made out of pot metal for one.)

If it's a budget plinker, get the UTG.

If it's going to be on a serious AR get the LMT. They sell really fast on the EE so you need to be patient.

Cardinal Forge vs UTG Slim

One thing to keep an eye out for. I hear the newer LMT rear sights are cast.... The older ones were forged IIRC.
This is just my opinion but Forged>Billet>Cast
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Done. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, a Dremel cutting wheel and patience will give you the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Umarex (Walther) makes a Colt labeled one that is virtually the same as the LMT. Can be had for $15-$30. Try CDNN. I have a couple of these and 4 LMT and can't tell any difference quality wise.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seller in the EE now with a shit pot full of surplus CHs @ $35 each.
View Quote
that's what I bought. Project time...
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seller in the EE now with a shit pot full of surplus CHs @ $35 each.
I think I did mine with a $5 mini hack saw from menards. I also used a file, and some high grit sand paper before refinishing.

For the coating I used Birchwood Casey Cold Blue on steel, and alumin-black on aluminum.

Honestly I didn't go too crazy with reshaping. I just chopped the part by the carry handle and rounded it off some. Some people cut straight down, but it adds extra work and time. Honestly go easy on removing material. You can always cut away more, but you can't add more back.

Wear eye protection and gloves. It sucks getting aluminum shavings in the eyes. Maybe vacuum as you work too. For $35 and some work, it's a bomb proof, forged rear sight.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd go with a Daniel Defense fixed rear sight.  Lighter and simpler.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have 2 of the S&W M&P 15/22 A2 rears that are similar, pretty decent so far. Have not used them past 50 yrds yet. Initial sight in was issue free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Umarex (Walther) makes a Colt labeled one that is virtually the same as the LMT. Can be had for $15-$30. Try CDNN. I have a couple of these and 4 LMT and can't tell any difference quality wise.
I have 2 of the S&W M&P 15/22 A2 rears that are similar, pretty decent so far. Have not used them past 50 yrds yet. Initial sight in was issue free.
Believe those are OEM by utg. The aluminum/thumb screws are soft metal imo
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe. At $20 for both new,  I'll not sweat it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Believe those are OEM by utg. The aluminum/thumb screws are soft metal imo
Maybe. At $20 for both new,  I'll not sweat it.
They work in a pinch. Its just there are better budget options out there now. I for one do not care for the huge thumb screws.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top