Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2018 11:26:42 PM EDT
I’m putting together a 7.5” .223 AR pistol. What I’m looking for is an inexpensive red or green dot that has auto on when I pick it up and either I can shut it off by pressing a button or auto off after awhile. I have seen some HoloSun do this, trying to not spend $300. I would prefer $150-$175 but I am willing to go higher for the right product.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Primary Arms. http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-micro-dot-with-removable-base-md-rb-ad

Eta Green Dot. http://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-403-elite-micro-green-dot-he403b-gr
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I like my holosun
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Have a couple of the primary arms micros, one md-ads and the md-rb-ad. They don't have auto off but do have 50k hr battery life( like 5yrs). Both can be had for under $200. One of mine has been on for a little over 2 yrs with the original battery and still going strong.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Sig Romeo 5 is what you seek.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sig Romeo 5 is what you seek.
View Quote
Came here to post this.

I have the 30mm, a little more expensive than your criteria. But I've been very pleased with it. The Romeo 5 will go on my pistol build.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
so tell me which is better, sig romeo 5 or the holosun hs403a ?

both seem to fit the bill perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Romeo 5 Torture Test
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve mostly moved to Holosun red dots for my ARs; with one on top of a 10.5” pistol. By the features and build alone they’re excellent optics. Even better when considering the price.

Full disclosure, I had (have) an issue with one of them; an ACSS model. The auto-off feature isn’t working. Frankly, I think it may have been defective out of the box. Primary Arms has top notch service, and said they’ll replace it. I just haven’t got around to sending it in.

In spite of the auto-off defect, it’s completely useable. With a battery life in the 30-50k hour range, I just leave it on all the time. For the features, price, and service after the sale, I have no concerns recommending Holosun/Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:35:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Holosun for your price range.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:15:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Truglo

It's a holosun rebrand but cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Auto off isn't necessary for an optic with 50k hours of battery life... You replace batteries yearly anyway for a defensive firearm... And even if it's not, buying one battery every few years isn't hard. You should be removing and inspecting the battery once a year anyway to ensure no corrosion.

Auto off is a feature to extend limited battery life... It can fail, even if unlikely. No need to have it if it's not needed.

If this isn't a defensive firearm, then do whatever makes you happy though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the Sig rds model...Eotech like reticle....
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Romeo 5 Torture Test
I've got the 5X Opmod and it's a great sight.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Truglo

View Quote
Source? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not go a little bit more, save a month more, and get the duty grade motion activated Leupold Deltapoint Pro?  Prices are now down to about $350 or so, and with coupons 10%  or so less.  You will never never need anything else.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why not go a little bit more, save a month more, and get the duty grade motion activated Leupold Deltapoint Pro?  Prices are now down to about $350 or so, and with coupons 10%  or so less.  You will never never need anything else.
View Quote
Probably because it's just a different class, I get your point though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Source? Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Truglo

Source? Thanks
Truglo Trutec QD
$125 with a Holosun Style QD Mount.

Features:

2 MOA reticle for precision aiming
20mm objective lens
Digital push-button controls
Multiple brightness settings
Ultra-long battery life
Includes auto-on and auto-off features
Ultra-lightweight/compact design
Shock resistant to 1000g
Waterproof/fog proof
Click windage and elevation adjustments
Wide field of view
Unlimited eye relief
Integrated QD High Mount
Includes both low and high mounting bases
Battery included 3V-CR2032
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Interesting, thanks for following up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
FWIW, I have one of these as well. In addition to the Holosuns. It’s been every bit as solid. Basically can’t tell the difference between them; with one exception. The auto-wake isn’t quite as “touchy” as the Holosuns. It’s reliable. Just takes a little more than simply picking up the rifle. A firm grasp of the handguard, mag slap, bolt closing, etc will get it done. Same with a fairly light tap directly on the optic/mount.

I have heard the same goes for the “base”/original model Holosun. Regardless, the TruGlo is a great bang for your buck option.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#21]
This is a defense ar pistol. I ended up with the $250 dot Romeo 5 with circle dot. I’ll be honest, this thing is sweet. I just don’t know what to say. the truglo looks nice but for the same price, I can get the Romeo 5 red dot for $150. I can’t find a circle red dot that is the same equal badassness as the Romeo 5 circle dot. The prices can’t be beat. The holosun is the only thing close and I just can’t find enough info on longevity/torture tests. The fbi contract for the Romeo 5 even tells me it’s a quality item.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top