Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2018 6:44:57 PM EDT
So I had a Co worker offer me $750 for my savage msr recon and I'm seriously considering it. I'm in the process of building an spr type rifle but still want to keep a recce as I think they are the best all around ar configuration.

Going to take the 2.5-10x on my areo Precision Recce and use it on my spr build and look for a lpv for the Aero

So what's the best scope I could get in the $500-600 range 1-4/6/8x   I was leaning towards steiner p4xi
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
P4Xi is best in that price range.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
P4Xi is best in that price range.
View Quote
I agree. My P4xi is a great optic.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Kinda what I thought... I didn't really want to sell this rifle but he threw 750  at me and I only paid 800 new and in this climate 750 is a good deal(for me) so I am taking it to him tomorrow to check out in person he only saw my pictures. If he says deal Ill be ordering me a P4XI  this week
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want the extra magnification and would be okay with a MRAD reticle, and 5 more oz on the Steiner. An EE Viper PST G2 1-6x
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want the extra magnification and would be okay with a MRAD reticle, and 5 more oz on the Steiner. An EE Viper PST G2 1-6x
View Quote
How do the two compare optically
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How do the two compare optically
View Quote
They're similar I believe a bit of an edge goes to the Vortex.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on your budget.  If it's under $600 or so, the Steiner P4xi and several Vortex offerings will work great (as mentioned).  If you have more wiggle room, the Leupold MK6 1-6x or new Nightforce 1-8x would be ideal, as you get a little more out of the top end.  Bottom line, a RECCE rifle isn't a DMR/sniper rifle.   If you're engaging a target at 600m and you don't hit it on the first shot, you keep shooting until you do.  It's filling the gap between carbine and DMR while still being able to do what a carbine does up close.  That's my take anyhow, and 1-4x up to 1-8x optics fit for this purpose.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depends on your budget.  If it's under $600 or so, the Steiner P4xi and several Vortex offerings will work great (as mentioned).  If you have more wiggle room, the Leupold MK6 1-6x or new Nightforce 1-8x would be ideal, as you get a little more out of the top end.  Bottom line, a RECCE rifle isn't a DMR/sniper rifle.   If you're engaging a target at 600m and you don't hit it on the first shot, you keep shooting until you do.  It's filling the gap between carbine and DMR while still being able to do what a carbine does up close.  That's my take anyhow, and 1-4x up to 1-8x optics fit for this purpose.
View Quote
Ive always seen the Recce as two paths. One is a close range that can shoot out to distance and be precise with 1-4//6/8 optics. The other being long range but can work in close. 2.5-10s with or with out red dots mounted.

I have the long range covered with my SPR build so  I want to do something I can shoot 25 yard out to 500. The Mark 6 is way out of my price range. So I want to keep around 5-600 and use the rest to buy ammo.  I started looking ad the Primary arms 1-6 FFP with the raptor reticle last night. I know its not top of the line but Ive used their 1-6s before and they are nice
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ive always seen the Recce as two paths. One is a close range that can shoot out to distance and be precise with 1-4//6/8 optics. The other being long range but can work in close. 2.5-10s with or with out red dots mounted.

I have the long range covered with my SPR build so  I want to do something I can shoot 25 yard out to 500. The Mark 6 is way out of my price range. So I want to keep around 5-600 and use the rest to buy ammo.  I started looking ad the Primary arms 1-6 FFP with the raptor reticle last night. I know its not top of the line but Ive used their 1-6s before and they are nice
View Quote
With that budget I'd get the Steiner.  It doesn't have the higher top end magnification, but the illumination is true daylight bright and the glass quality is very high.  There's a thread on them here if you want to read more...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Steiner-P4Xi-1-4-/18-698196/
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll throw another vote for the P4Xi. I have one that I bought used here on the EE, and I love it! You can easily find them on the EE for around $400-450 in good condition.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#11]
My Recce build uses a mid-powered Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm Patrol (mil/mil with motion-activated Firedot TMR reticle).

It is matched with 45 degree offset Deltapoint Pro.

The combo is lighter than many 1-6x scopes.

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ev
Er used a Steiner but I love my Viper.  Unbeatable warranty also.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think you can really go wrong either with a 3.5-4X ACOG, a 1-6/8 variable, or go whole hog
with a premium 2-10 with offset T1/RMR.  Plus all work beautifully with any clip-on.
I don't have a LPV but used a Razor II 1-6 with the PVS-22 and the results were outstanding which is an understatement.
Under NV use it gave up absolutely nothing to the TA11 or USO 1.8-10X37 at similar magnification.

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't think you can really go wrong either with a 3.5-4X ACOG, a 1-6/8 variable, or go whole hog
with a premium 2-10 with offset T1/RMR.  Plus all work beautifully with any clip-on.
I don't have a LPV but used a Razor II 1-6 with the PVS-22 and the results were outstanding which is an understatement.
Under NV use it gave up absolutely nothing to the TA11 or USO 1.8-10X37 at similar magnification.

https://i.imgur.com/7VOV9Yv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/inmKWOO.jpg
View Quote
Ill go be poor somewhere else
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Also interested.  I’ve got a trijicon accupower with segmented green circle but I kinda rather have a red dot style variable.   Anyone else run one of these and the px4i or pst gen 21-6?

Thanks & keep your powder dry.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used the 1-4 Accupower, the P4xi, and the PST G2 1-6x. Glass is pretty damn good on the PST better than the P4xi IMO. If you don't mind the weight, and the MIL reticle get the Vortex.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top