Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/25/2017 3:30:08 PM EDT
I'm sure this is beat to death, but I figured what the heck.....  I've been shooting and fondling my recce more lately and I kind of wish I had different glass.  But the grass is always greener.  

If only I could afford a 4x acog with a mini RDS on top.  For some reason I feel like that would be ideal.  I like the idea of the Elcan too.  Seems like there's not really a point to 2 or 3 power on a 1-4.  

I have a 2x7 on it now and I like the extra power when shooting for groups.  But I'm not sure it's overly practical.  I would probably prefer a 1-4 for most situations.  But like I said, I almost think an ACOG with an mini RDS on top would be better.  

So.... who's making a poor mans version of the elcan?  That weighs less.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure there is a best.  I have an ACOG, a Comp M3, and a Trijicon 1x6.  Each is good in its own right and best is subjective.  If I was going to war, I would take the ACOG.  If I was going to an uncertain situation where targets are unknown -- probably the 1x6.  If I am defending the house -- the M3.

Different optics for different situations.  Sorry -- not sure this is much help.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm sure this is beat to death, but I figured what the heck.....  I've been shooting and fondling my recce more lately and I kind of wish I had different glass.  But the grass is always greener.  

If only I could afford a 4x acog with a mini RDS on top.  For some reason I feel like that would be ideal.  I like the idea of the Elcan too.  Seems like there's not really a point to 2 or 3 power on a 1-4.  

I have a 2x7 on it now and I like the extra power when shooting for groups.  But I'm not sure it's overly practical.  I would probably prefer a 1-4 for most situations.  But like I said, I almost think an ACOG with an mini RDS on top would be better.  

So.... who's making a poor mans version of the elcan?  That weighs less.  
View Quote
Wolf PSU 1/4x. No.  4X ACOGs and other such prism sights with a mini reflex are going to be the closest you will get to the Elcan and lightweight. There doesn't seem to be much that beats a red dot for building clearing and a variable 1-4,6 for anything outside that can be pressed into the role of building clearing and used fairly effectively. I really like the 1-4 for anything out to 300 meters. I'm going to try to get myself out of my comfort zone and try it for point blank inside a building. 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
That wolf is even heavier.  Much cheaper though.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
For MY purposes, which may or may not be relevant to YOUR purposes an Aimpoint M3.

Short of some apocalyptic fantasy I will never use an AR defensively OR offensively outside of 200yds.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#5]
How much lighter does it have to be?
My Elcan only weighs 1/2 ounce more than my 1-6 with mount. And it has built-in BUIS.
So, lighter overall.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I like 2-7 scopes. I have two Leupold European-30 scopes (now discontinued) that are perfect for use on AR-15's. 1.5-5's or 2.5-8's work great also.

I use Aimpoint's on half my rifles, the scopes listed above on the other half.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with an Aimpoint. I'm good out to 200+ yards and it's fast up close. Anything further I'm getting out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I fought it for the longest time but I'm fully on board with the LPV crew. True 1x to 4x/6x.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#9]
For me it's the Aimpoint T2

I own guns setup with Nightforce and Trijicon 1-4, Leupold 3-12, and numerous Aimpoints

The red dot can do anything I need from 0-250 yards. Throw a magnifier behind it for the distance stuff
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
MRO
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
IMO, I think General Purpose is hard to define so I think you should get an optic that best matches what kind of shooting you actually do. Plinking, Hunting, Competition, Training.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#12]
If I have to choose only one for an AR it's going to be a TA31 4x ACOG with a chevron reticle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]
If I want small groups I use a scope.  If the targets really big, a red dot is okay.

My favorite carbines have those old SUIT optics on them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
You said "poor mans" version... so this would probably be what I'd look at if I wanted an uber-inexpensive optic of that type. Plus I think this new FDE version looks really nice!  

Primary Arms 3X FDE
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Any Aimpoint.. I can fuck some shit up from 0 out to 300meters + and with a little distance... I can tag someone further.
Works day or night.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#16]
The ACOG with an RMR is a poor mans Elcan.

Elcan Specter DR is 23.28oz

ACOG is 9.9oz, RMR is 1.2oz

Elcans are just too damn heavy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#17]
variable power 1x - whatever
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess it depends on what you generally use an AR for.  

I punch paper and shoot hogs and coyotes, so my best general purpose AR is an 18" SPR with a 4-16 on it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Ta31rco is the only optic anyone needs. I have used eotech, aimpoint and vortex. Acog is best
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#21]
MRO or ACOG for me,  depending on the situation. I'd go with the ACOG all around, but I just think in a SHTF scenario, you'd be more likely to shoot close in than very far out.  That favors the MRO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess it depends on what you generally use an AR for.  

I punch paper and shoot hogs and coyotes, so my best general purpose AR is an 18" SPR with a 4-16 on it.
View Quote
You shoot running hogs with a low magnification of 4x?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]
2-7x might not be trendy, but it's a pretty good choice for a general purpose optic, especially if the purposes are those for which ARs are actually generally used.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Just add a 45 degree offset min reflex red dot to your 2-7x and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Ta33 by far.  Best all around.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
2-7x might not be trendy, but it's a pretty good choice for a general purpose optic, especially if the purposes are those for which ARs are actually generally used.
View Quote
This is probably true.  The only reason I personally lust for an ACOG is clearer glass, looks cool, and it moves the weight to the rear more.  Balances better.  And the reticle that accounts for bullet drop.  But the power of a 2x7 is not really the problem.  Even inside the house the 2x isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#28]
The WPA PSU 1x/4x is the only switchable magnification alternative to the ELCAN. It's on clearance for $699 if you can find one.

All the other recommendations above are fixed magnification or convention scopes, and none of them could match the PSU's field of view or it lever switchable zoom function.

plus, none use Schott glass......yes, the PSU features Zeiss optical glass.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you find yourself able to do close up work with it?  Both eyes open or BAC.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#30]
TA11C for my 16" firing MK262.

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://www.opsinc.us/images/opsinc-12th.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, that looks like really really good.  

What about you Edwin, does it work for closer range for you?  Or do you feel like you need a mini rds on an offset or something......
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#32]
What exactly 'general purpose' entails will vary for different people, but for me a red dot sight is still the best choice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.opsinc.us/images/opsinc-12th.jpg
View Quote
Same here. One ta11f red on 5.56 and ta11C red on .308. Almost red dot fast for me with. Org eyes open. Close eye, focus and good withBDC out to 400easy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I fought it for the longest time but I'm fully on board with the LPV crew. True 1x to 4x/6x.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I did too. I was in the Acog camp, specifically the TA33 forever. The Steiner P4XI changed that with good glass, daylight bright reticle, good eyebox and good fov. To answer the OP, a 1-4 is my opinion.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. It's very fast, for a fixed power optic close in, because it's so small, it takes up almost none of your eyes field of view.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a few variables and fixed power scopes and I keep falling back to the fixed option.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#36]
My choices would be the Steiner P4Xi, an Aimpoint PRO, or Luepold VX-R either the Hog Plex or the 2-7 ballistic Hunter.

Each has a good reason to make it a shtf scope.

I consider general purpose to be from 3 yds to 250-300 yds. Targets about the size of a 'C' zone target (12x18")
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I have one of almost everything.  I really like the Bushnell Mark AR scopes.  I can be poor anywhere I want. 
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, I can work keep both eyes open and pick up the aiming point pretty fast.  Not quite as fast as a red dot.  Being in daylight helps this a lot, as the fiber optics really brighten things up and make seeing the red really easy.  If not in much light, then the tritium will show up, but it is definitely not as bright.  Glass is very clear on mine.  

The Ta33 is a good closer medium range optic, but since the question was a single best general purpose optic, this is my favorite.  Very rugged, mutiple non battery methods of illumination.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#39]
General purpose would probably be a 1-4x. The steiner seems to be popular and a good price.

If for strictly defensive purposes, a civilian should never need more than an aimpoint(or whichever red dot tickles your fancy.)
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#40]
If was to pick only one Optic, it would be the ACOG, or if you're on a budget something along the lines of the Primary Arms 3x prism sight.  With practice you can use the ACOG like a red dot instead of adding even more weight int he form of a mini red dot.

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#41]
It depends on what you consider to be your general purpose AR.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It depends on what you consider to be your general purpose AR.
View Quote
I hear ya, but what I said was "In your mind".  So basically what do you think general purpose means.  I like to hear all the different responses.  Yes, that may change for some people, but I'm OK with that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#43]
To me, general purpose means taking the last 1000 rounds you fired and tailoring your optic choice to that. To me, that means competition. If I extend it out to the last 5000 rounds fired, that means competition, training class and coyote hunting.
I'm exclusively using 1-6x scopes now as my other optics sit on the shelf with the exception of a red dot on my PCC.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#44]
it depends what your general purpose is for sure. Mine was competition, with everything from 1 yard targets to 10" targets at 400+ yards. I went with a 1-4. I can run it like a dot or zoom in.

I was thinking like you that I wouldn't use anything but either end, but that turned out to not be the case. I'm between 1-4 way more than I'm at 4. hell even 2x makes everything easier to see but still keeps a really wide field of view. I would dial the scope in to whatever would still show me 2 targets in the array, that way I wasn't spending time shooting the same one twice and I was less likely to skip targets.

If I could only have one optic or one rifle even I would be hard pressed to use anything but a 1-x. a dot is great, but something that helps with target identification or precision at distance is needed. A red dot will probably get you a hit on torso at 200 yards, but even a 4x (and my young eyes) would let me pick an eye. sometimes needed, sometimes not.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
If a 2-7x LPV is good, then a 1-8x should be even better.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem with 1-8 is the very small exit when you at 8 power. The 2-7 gather a lot more light due to the large bell and exit lens
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The problem with 1-8 is the very small exit when you at 8 power. The 2-7 gather a lot more light due to the large bell and exit lens
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And weight
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And weight
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And weight
Yeah, the 1-8's do weight a lot. Weight doesn't really bother me since I shoot 3 gun so much with my Razor. I've had times I wish my Razor had a large exit lens.

My 6.8 has a Burris 1.5-6 on it and for what I paid for it it gathers light real well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#49]
The Swarovski z6i is the best all around optic, IMO. 1x is fantastic, gets nuclear bright, 6x is excellent, the glass is unreal, and it's pretty damn light for a 1-6.

I wouldn't even consider spending elcan money when there's much better LPVO's out there.

I've now had my Swarovski for a little over a year, that's a record for me as I swap optics like I swap underwear.

That optic will always have a place in my gunroom
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You shoot running hogs with a low magnification of 4x?
View Quote
Depends on where I'm hunting.  If I'm on a place where it's close, I use a 1-4 or even an Aimpoint T2.  Most of the time I'm out past 150 yards so the 4-16 on 6-10X is great.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top