Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2016 7:32:22 PM EDT
Received my new Accupower today and this scope is crystal clear and bright.  The 1X is as close to looking through an Aimpoint of any 1X scope I have seen.

I got it with the LT 104 mount and will install and sight in this weekend.  Purchased it with the green BDC reticle.  The scope is going on my LT OBR 16"

Looking forward to seeing how it performs.  Will give a range report as soon as I get back.

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Good pickup. Enjoy the scope!
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Interested in the brightness of the reticle.  How true is the complaint against it being less than daylight bright?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 14.5 pinned tOBR with the same Accupower mounted in a LT111.  Like this combination.  It's clear and bright for a 4x scope out to 200 yards (max distance at my range).  

People claim it's not daylight bright but I haven't had any problem.  Perhaps bright sunlight combined wth snow.  Rarely snows here, so I cannot comment.

Enjoy your new rifle, mine has run 100 percent and been extremely accurate.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I briefly had one in red. For me it wasn't daylight bright but in bright conditions you'll always have the black reticle. I wish instead of illuminating the entire thing they just illuminated the center dot and made it brighter.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:05:46 AM EDT
[#5]
While this is not a range test, but when I did put the battery in and trying from the garage out to surrounding yard and to the end of my street, about 1000 feet, I had no issues with the green reticle at 4.  This was around 4:30 PM, light was getting low, we are fully dark here at 5:45 PM.  Turning it up to 11 was too bright.

I can see already controlling the brightness to the proper level with this scope is going to be a lot easier than with my TA11 ACOG.  I am telling you right now I am amazed at the 1X,  it is the best I have seen.  My only concern is what I have been reading, POI shift between 1x and 4X.  This is what I am going to focus on.  I have all of my RDS hitting .5" low at 50 yards, on at 100 yards, shooting 55 grain (don't quote me on these exact numbers).  I will be testing around these numbers this weekend.  

I am embarrassed but my OBR is two years old this week, and I have less than 50 rounds down the barrel.  Been looking for an optic and real busy with work and home stuff, so the rifle is essentially new.  

I have a 7.62 OBR coming in March and if this scope works out, may consider a higher magnification Accupower for it, I have been thinking a Nightforce.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#6]
It is not daylight bright unless on an overcast day. I have shot with mine multiple times including year day and on setting 11, with the sun out, it is dim
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Will wait for your comments. I was on LT and Trijicon webpages last night researching that very same scope.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will wait for your comments. I was on LT and Trijicon webpages last night researching that very same scope.
View Quote

What are you looking to hear back?  Glass is clear.  Lightweight in its class.  Easy reticle (segmented circle).  It is not daylight bright in any way, shape, or form.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While this is not a range test, but when I did put the battery in and trying from the garage out to surrounding yard and to the end of my street, about 1000 feet, I had no issues with the green reticle at 4.  This was around 4:30 PM, light was getting low, we are fully dark here at 5:45 PM.  Turning it up to 11 was too bright.

I can see already controlling the brightness to the proper level with this scope is going to be a lot easier than with my TA11 ACOG.  I am telling you right now I am amazed at the 1X,  it is the best I have seen.  My only concern is what I have been reading, POI shift between 1x and 4X.  This is what I am going to focus on.  I have all of my RDS hitting .5" low at 50 yards, on at 100 yards, shooting 55 grain (don't quote me on these exact numbers).  I will be testing around these numbers this weekend.  

I am embarrassed but my OBR is two years old this week, and I have less than 50 rounds down the barrel.  Been looking for an optic and real busy with work and home stuff, so the rifle is essentially new.  

I have a 7.62 OBR coming in March and if this scope works out, may consider a higher magnification Accupower for it, I have been thinking a Nightforce.

View Quote
Are you referring to the point of impact shift when zeroing a SFP scope at 4x? From what I've read as long as the center of the reticle (likely the zero point of the optic) is in the center of the scope the POI stays true throughout all magnification ranges. I am going by recollection however so if someone sees this and knows it's incorrect feel free to correct this.  

To to the other user asking about brIghtness: I owned one of these scopes for 5 months and can say they are in fact NOT daylight bright.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Pardon the question, but when I hear daylight bright, I am assuming it means too bright for daylight, even on the lowest power.  I got home around 4 pm today took the scope out again and I find I have the same range of settings as my Aimpoint ML3.  

Unless I am missing something, I do not see the range of brightness to be or will be an issue.

BTW, the combo price at LT is the best you are going to find.  I looked hard and by the time you figure a mount, QD mount specifically, not rings, the price is excellent....and no I don't work for LT!!!!

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pardon the question, but when I hear daylight bright, I am assuming it means too bright for daylight, even on the lowest power.  I got home around 4 pm today took the scope out again and I find I have the same range of settings as my Aimpoint ML3.  

Unless I am missing something, I do not see the range of brightness to be or will be an issue.

BTW, the combo price at LT is the best you are going to find.  I looked hard and by the time you figure a mount, QD mount specifically, not rings, the price is excellent....and no I don't work for LT!!!!

View Quote

For many of us, Daylight Bright is  necessary requirement.

A variable is a combination red dot and magnified optic. You want a red dot to be visible in all light conditions that you may encounter. Like a snow covered field on a bright sunny day, or an interior building going from bright to dark.

You don't want to have to search for the dot in any situation. and a daylight bright reticle is much easier and quicker to pick up in ALL light conditions. Its what separates good variable optics from mediocre.

Is it a critical must have??? for me it is. Its what makes the Variable such a good all around optic for AR's.  Other wise I would just stick to a Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Typically in low power variables you will only see daylight brightness in the top 3 or 4 sightings. IMO daylight bright means that it can be picked up from any surroundings or in other words used like an RDS at 1x or as you would prefer to run an RDS which for me is the lowest setting that allows me to point the weapon at a white wall and illuminate with a flashlight and still be able to pick up the illumination with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For many of us, Daylight Bright is  necessary requirement.

A variable is a combination red dot and magnified optic. You want a red dot to be visible in all light conditions that you may encounter. Like a snow covered field on a bright sunny day, or an interior building going from bright to dark.

You don't want to have to search for the dot in any situation. and a daylight bright reticle is much easier and quicker to pick up in ALL light conditions. Its what separates good variable optics from mediocre.

Is it a critical must have??? for me it is. Its what makes the Variable such a good all around optic for AR's.  Other wise I would just stick to a Aimpoint.
View Quote

With the illumination off, the dot in the middle is hard to see, or at least to me in the room.  When I go to the range this weekend I will try all different settings on and also off.  Now that we are talking and since I got the BDC with a segmented circle, it would be nice to be able to turn just the center dot on, like an AP and the segments off.  Just thinking out loud.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the same scope.

If you are looking for something that illuminates like a red dot at 1x this IS NOT the scope for you.

In just about every other regard, it's an awesome scope.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have the same scope.

If you are looking for something that illuminates like a red dot at 1x this IS NOT the scope for you.

In just about every other regard, it's an awesome scope.
View Quote

Agreed.  I really like mine, but you're not getting an optic with illumination visibility on a sunny day.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#16]
planning on getting either the segmented cirlce BDC or mil crosshair

can anyone comment on which is the brighter reticle color? red or green?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok, I did not make the range today but did take the rifle outside with the scope and I panned my yard, I live in a rural subdivision with all greens, browns, etc and I did not see an issue one bit.  I was hesitant about the green having red APs, ACOGs, etc, but I think I will like the green better.

Will try the range tomorrow.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
planning on getting either the segmented cirlce BDC or mil crosshair

can anyone comment on which is the brighter reticle color? red or green?
View Quote

They're likely similar respective to the AccuPower.  Most pick up green quicker in general.  I went with the green segmented circle and really like it.   Consistently gets my 1.5" groups with crappy 55 grain ball ammo.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Update with range report...

Went to the range this morning, not the best weather for zeroing, a lot of wind and rain, but I did manage to get the optic to zero at 50 yards with three rounds.

My first shot was .5" right and 3" high.  4 clicks left, 24 clicks down and I was near center.  This is good for now...two more shots and I was good.  Then 20 rounds on the steel at 100 yards.  I will wait for a better non windy day for the final sight in along with some better ammo, I was shooting 55 grain PMC today.  

As far as the adjustments, the adjustment clicks are as solid as my USOptics SN3 TPAL.  I sighted in without the lit reticle, the center dot is very small.  I then turned the reticle on for the steel and even though it was raining, the day was not that gray, did not need the reticle on.  Again panning the scope against the dirt berm and the trees around the range, I did not see an issue, the reticle was on 7 i believe.  

Sorry for the hard head, but I still do not grasp the daylight bright.  IMO on a bright day, I do not for see a need for the lit reticle, but then again this is my first battery operated reticle that is not a dedicated red dot scope.  Nor do I chase bad guys for a living, so others will see it different.  So some inexperience (even though I have been shooting for 49 years) on my part may be showing.

The scope is fast to pick up, the diopter is easy to adjust for my eye sight,  no issues there.  The OBR really felt balanced with the scope and I had the stock set on number three hole and getting eye relief setting was not an issue.  I could move the mount up some for NTCH shooting, may try this next time.  I really like the scope, walking back to my truck I actually talked to my rifle (don't ask) and said you are a good set up.

I am very glad I went this direction.  I will say the BDC reticle will take some getting used to, as I am so familiar with my mil dot scopes.  This may be premature, but if I were to do this again, I may opt for the cross hairs, but again, may be premature.  Let me get some more rounds down range and further than 100 yards where the BDC can be tested.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Update with range report...

Went to the range this morning, not the best weather for zeroing, a lot of wind and rain, but I did manage to get the optic to zero at 50 yards with three rounds.

My first shot was .5" right and 3" high.  4 clicks left, 24 clicks down and I was near center.  This is good for now...two more shots and I was good.  Then 20 rounds on the steel at 100 yards.  I will wait for a better non windy day for the final sight in along with some better ammo, I was shooting 55 grain PMC today.  

As far as the adjustments, the adjustment clicks are as solid as my USOptics SN3 TPAL.  I sighted in without the lit reticle, the center dot is very small.  I then turned the reticle on for the steel and even though it was raining, the day was not that gray, did not need the reticle on.  Again panning the scope against the dirt berm and the trees around the range, I did not see an issue, the reticle was on 7 i believe.  

Sorry for the hard head, but I still do not grasp the daylight bright.  IMO on a bright day, I do not for see a need for the lit reticle, but then again this is my first battery operated reticle that is not a dedicated red dot scope.  Nor do I chase bad guys for a living, so others will see it different.  So some inexperience (even though I have been shooting for 49 years) on my part may be showing.

The scope is fast to pick up, the diopter is easy to adjust for my eye sight,  no issues there.  The OBR really felt balanced with the scope and I had the stock set on number three hole and getting eye relief setting was not an issue.  I could move the mount up some for NTCH shooting, may try this next time.  I really like the scope, walking back to my truck I actually talked to my rifle (don't ask) and said you are a good set up.

I am very glad I went this direction.  I will say the BDC reticle will take some getting used to, as I am so familiar with my mil dot scopes.  This may be premature, but if I were to do this again, I may opt for the cross hairs, but again, may be premature.  Let me get some more rounds down range and further than 100 yards where the BDC can be tested.

View Quote
Daylight bright = Is the illum plainly visible in full sun (bright summer day) on light backgrounds (white siding, cardboard). 

Overcast, morning / afternoon are not times to test it out. You can't shoot it at 1x red dot speed if it's not as bight as a red dot. 

The list of daylight bright low power variables is short. The accupower is not daylight bright. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

A bright summer day is 100k lux.  In the shade, 20k lux.  An overcast day is 2k lux.  Those are HUGE differences in brightness.  

Think of it this way, if a black, unlit reticle was anywhere near as easy to use as a red dot, we'd all be shooting $100 black dots.

Trust us, the Accupower is no where near day light bright.  I have one, I know this to be true.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Daylight bright = Is the illum plainly visible in full sun (bright summer day) on light backgrounds (white siding, cardboard). 

Overcast, morning / afternoon are not times to test it out. You can't shoot it at 1x red dot speed if it's nothing as bight as a red dot. 

The list of daylight bright low power variables is short. The accupower is not daylight bright. 
View Quote
Not to start a disagreement but with the Accupowers BDC reticle you can shoot it like a black Eotech in a sense. Of course this will vary by each individual users experience though

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry double 
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top