Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2016 10:58:37 PM EDT
I have an Aimpoint PRO on my colt 6720 and it seems to be loosening on its own. I've tightened it until three clicks as directed, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Is this a common occurrance? Also, is changing mounts a fairly simple process if I buy a different one? I don't have a full compliment of tools, as I'm a recent college grad.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an Aimpoint PRO on my colt 6720 and it seems to be loosening on its own. I've tightened it until three clicks as directed, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Is this a common occurrance? Also, is changing mounts a fairly simple process if I buy a different one? I don't have a full compliment of tools, as I'm a recent college grad.

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Changing mounts is simple

I never used my factory mount but I'm surprised your is coming loose. Seemed pretty beefy to me

I'm pretty sure most good replacement mounts come with the necessary tools,
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#2]
We had this issue pop up a few times while I was in the service. If this is the same issue then it seems like it is the base-to-reciever clamp but it is actually screws that hold the optic to the base that are coming loose. This makes zeroing and maintaining zero a nightmare. IF thats the case then Loctite can help  IF that isn't the case then I would swap it out with a good QD mount. Its really easy to deal with either way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We had this issue pop up a few times while I was in the service. If this is the same issue then it seems like it is the base-to-reciever clamp but it is actually screws that hold the optic to the base that are coming loose. This makes zeroing and maintaining zero a nightmare. IF thats the case then Loctite can help  IF that isn't the case then I would swap it out with a good QD mount. Its really easy to deal with either way.
View Quote

It is the base-to-receiver mount with the GIANT knob, not the screws holding the optic to the base. I see a Larue LT150 in my not too distant future
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Every few range trips, I would snap a couple more clicks on mine and it sometimes seemed to have loosened some.  Since I check my gear regularly, it didn't bother me.  I just made it a point to give it a couple of snaps every once in a while.  I have noticed the same thing with many other mounts.  They usually reach a point where they stabilize.  Some movement is to be expected due to the thermal cycles and shock impulses a firearm experiences.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:25:37 AM EDT
[#5]
It's relatively common on issue M68s.  Put some pressure on the knob (directly push down on the knob, towards the mount) while tightening.  You should notice that the cam system (or whatever the hell you want to call it) will stay locked a little longer, allowing you to get it a little bit tighter.  This has fixed the "loosening" issue on every factory AP QRP mount I've used it on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's relatively common on issue M68s.  Put some pressure on the knob (directly push down on the knob, towards the mount) while tightening.  You should notice that the cam system (or whatever the hell you want to call it) will stay locked a little longer, allowing you to get it a little bit tighter.  This has fixed the "loosening" issue on every factory AP QRP mount I've used it on.
View Quote

I'll try that out, thank you
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top