User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2015 11:12:04 PM EDT
Just what the title says.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Hundreds of options.  Subjective beauty contest of questionable value without more info.

How do you intend to use the rifle 90% of the time?  And the other 10%?

What is your budget?

How important is weight and bulk?

How important is low light performance?

Do you have turret and reticle preferences?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Budget under $700. Mainly target shooting. Possibly some coyote hunting. Weight not an issue. Would like exposed turrets.
I've looked at the Leupold Vxr like the fire dot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You've probably answered your own question:  VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm mil/mil with Firedot TMR.  Superb general purpose mid power tactical scope within your budget.  However, the Firedot is .3 mil, or about 1 MOA.  That's about as small as you can get and still be conspicuous, but it makes sub MOA shooting a bit difficult.  If you get a thinner reticle, its better for target shooting, but terrible for hunting.  The scope is a good compromise, though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]

I have one of these for my 308 AR . Its German  Schott glass  , scope assembled in USA

Smoking deal since its on sale right now for $530 !

Its 2nd focal plane so you may or may not want that . Its also MRAD clicks

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398434/minox-za-5-hd-tac-rifle-scope-3-15x-50mm-illuminated-mr-plex-reticle-matte
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have one of these for my 308 AR . Its German  Schott glass  , scope assembled in USA

Smoking deal since its on sale right now for $530 !

Its 2nd focal plane so you may or may not want that . Its also MRAD clicks

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398434/minox-za-5-hd-tac-rifle-scope-3-15x-50mm-illuminated-mr-plex-reticle-matte
View Quote

There have been problems with this scope, and low light performance was less than expected.  No personal experience, but Outdoor Life optical evalustors have been very ojbective and hse good instrumentation and methodology.  Maybe this Minox discontinued it and inventory is being dumped?  The customer service issue mentioned below the review really sends an alarm signal to me.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/rifles/optics/2011/05/minox-za5-3-%E2%80%93-15x50
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. I am gonna go back this weekend check out the
Vxr again probably settle for that.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top