Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 3:25:28 PM EDT
I just got an Aimpoint PRO a while back and my rifle (Colt 6920) has the A2 front sight which provides an absolute cowitness. When I installed the Aimpoint though, I had to toss the carry handle.

I really like the look of the rifle now, but I need a flip up rear BUIS.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Youll get all the suggests from the BUIS catelog.

I use Wilson Combat Rear flipups, it has elevation and windage adjustments.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Youll get all the suggests from the BUIS catelog.

I use Wilson Combat Rear flipups, it has elevation and windage adjustments.
View Quote

This is basically my SHTF gun but I don't need a top of the line rear BUIS either. I'll probably get it roughly zeroed and not use it much after.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a Matech off the EE.  Same one used by the military.  $50 max will get you a nice one.  Since you won't be deploying it much, no worries about wearing the locking mechanism out.  The elevation can be quickly adjusted for various distances assuming you have zeroed it correctly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Matechs on all but one of my too many AR15's.  Like the Aimpoint, and other high dollar red dot sights it is GI issue.   Non sure why so many folks don't like them
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get a Matech off the EE.  Same one used by the military.  $50 max will get you a nice one.  Since you won't be deploying it much, no worries about wearing the locking mechanism out.  The elevation can be quickly adjusted for various distances assuming you have zeroed it correctly.
View Quote

Need something NIB my completely gun-illiterate mother in law can buy for me online with ease. EE doesn't qualify for that.

Sorry forgot to mention this in the OP.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are not going to use the rear folded backup for anything other than true back up and at close range, you don't meed elevation adjustment.  You do need absolute dependability.  For me that means that in that emergency when the backup is all you have and it must be deployed, you don't want to run the risk of it being damaged if struck while in the up position.   Only a few sights will deflect under those conditions.  Most lock upright and will bend or break if struck hard.  

One of the few that will deflect and transfer the energy away from the sight and back down to the rifle upper, is the simple, Magpul MBUS, either the polymer or the MBUS Pro made of metal. Both will deflect.  These are incredibly durable sights and are virtually indestructible.

If you need a rear sight that both deflects on impact and has elevation, then get the KAC adjustable.  It is expensive, but combines both attributes.

For me the polymer Magpul at about $55 is exactly what I need.  Nothing more, nothing less, and widely available.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are not going to use the rear folded backup for anything other than true back up and at close range, you don't meed elevation adjustment.  You do need absolute dependability.  For me that means that in that emergency when the backup is all you have and it must be deployed, you don't want to run the risk of it being damaged if struck while in the up position.   Only a few sights will deflect under those conditions.  Most lock upright and will bend or break if struck hard.  

One of the few that will deflect and transfer the energy away from the sight and back down to the rifle upper, is the simple, Magpul MBUS, either the polymer or the MBUS Pro made of metal. Both will deflect.  These are incredibly durable sights and are virtually indestructible.

If you need a rear sight that both deflects on impact and has elevation, then get the KAC adjustable.  It is expensive, but combines both attributes.

For me the polymer Magpul at about $55 is exactly what I need.  Nothing more, nothing less, and widely available.
View Quote

This describes my needs pretty well. I'm likely to zero the BUIS at 25 yards, fold it down, and not bother with it again. Like you said, it's only going to be deployed in an emergency situation where the Aimpoint goes down.

I suppose, I might occasionally play with it at the range, but it's intended purpose is like you described. A true SHTF, up close and personal backup sight.

Hell, I'm only zeroing my Aimpoint at 25 or 50 yards... haven't really decided yet.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Mbus or mbus pro is what you want than.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aside from the material differences are they the same?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pros have a much lower profile is the biggest difference. Can't really think of any other real advantage's to them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Been very happy with Troy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a BIG fan of MBUS Pros. I don't think there's a lower profile sight out there...it's also as wide as the top of the upper do it doesn't interfere with using the charging handle...you'll forget it's there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been very happy with Troy.
View Quote

No he di-ent.                        
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I still think the Hahn BUIS is the best thing out there, but they can be tough to find.  Barring that, MBUS Pro.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Get on the EE... find a KAC 300m  or a KAC Micro 300m

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I run these:

GG&G Spring Actuated BUIS

View Quote
I've had those before, they are rock solid.

I quit running flip ups, and now run fixed all the time now.

I had a night class where my RDS quit in the middle of a long run, and never even had to react, other than adjusting my eyes to the fixed front/rear.

It was awesome.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top