Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2013 3:31:24 PM EDT
Bought one of the EOTechs that was on sale before BF for $299 and was absolutely floored by the clarity compared to the lower price optics I have...  However, I am having an issue focusing on the dot with one eye.  

First, I have glasses which are fairly new, and they don't seem to be an issue with irons.   With both eyes open, everything is sharp.  

Ideas or suggestions?   I am opening to shooting with both eyes, but I will need to practice.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It was intended to be used with both eyes open. So it should be clearer with both eyes open!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Bought one of the EOTechs that was on sale before BF for $299 and was absolutely floored by the clarity compared to the lower price optics I have...  However, I am having an issue focusing on the dot with one eye.  

First, I have glasses which are fairly new, and they don't seem to be an issue with irons.   With both eyes open, everything is sharp.  

Ideas or suggestions?   I am opening to shooting with both eyes, but I will need to practice.

View Quote

It's a reflex sight. You need to shoot with both eyes open and focus on the target not the dot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok... Two quick posts confirmed what I was thinking.   Use it the way it was designed.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I f you want to use it with one eye closed thats fine too. It will help a lot at further distances or at least it did for me. The trick is remember to always focus on the target. When you do this the your eyes will automatically make the reticle  be in focus. If you are focusing on the target and the reticle is still blurry it could be an eye issue. Luckily theres a little trick for that. Look through the rear iron sight and the eotech at the same time and it magically clears right up for most people. Have fun with your eotech. I had one and regret selling it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The holographic reticle will appear to be something like 10-15 feet in front of the weapon. If you're keeping your eye focus near the gun (like if you're trying to focus on the front sight post), the reticle will appear blurry and out of focus. Look out ahead and it'll pop back into focus. With both eyes open, the reticle will appear just to be floating out in space, which is what makes these sights so fast to target.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an astigmisium and I knew this going into my SU-231a purchase but I REALLY wanted one for my BLOCK II build. Sure enough, the ring is very fuzzy for me. It looks like it' on fire. The 1 MOA dot portion of the optic wasn't too bad though. However if I ignore the optic like it's not there and look past it and focus on the target, it gets the job done very quickly.

I did notice that if I tried my buddies EOTECH G33 3x magnifier that if I want to aim with one eye closed for distance shots, it's crystal clear. I don't want to drop $550+ on a magnifier though so I'm just going to get a cheapo Primary Arms LER 3x for like Coyote hunting etc.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an astigmisium and I knew this going into my SU-231a purchase but I REALLY wanted one for my BLOCK II build. Sure enough, the ring is very fuzzy for me. It looks like it' on fire. The 1 MOA dot portion of the optic wasn't too bad though. However if I ignore the optic like it's not there and look past it and focus on the target, it gets the job done very quickly.

I did notice that if I tried my buddies EOTECH G33 3x magnifier that if I want to aim with one eye closed for distance shots, it's crystal clear. I don't want to drop $550+ on a magnifier though so I'm just going to get a cheapo Primary Arms LER 3x for like Coyote hunting etc.  
View Quote

No Astigmatism here.... Just had my eye exam and vision is steady.   I did not notice that having the rear sight up did help.    

The PA magnifier is good.   I have one and the sight is clear as can be through it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here's your EOTech's Grandfather, EOTech's first functional engineering prototype from 1994:

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac26/spumwuzzle/prototype1_zps2d70f10b.jpg

Mark H.

View Quote

Neat. Have a link with more info or history on that, Mark?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, guys...   I am having to unlearn some teaching that my dad beat into my head!   I did take my M4 clone with the 512 out this afternoon and walked out the woods some just focusing on targets.   I hope the weather this weekend is better, and I will see if I can actually put some rounds through!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I see two reticles if I focus on the sight, especially when indoors.  Also if I focus on a target that's relatively close indoors, but it's a non issue.  I've never had it happen outdoors.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top