Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2013 10:41:38 AM EDT
In the market for new scopes.  Noob questions.

What are you folks using most on your scopes?  Which is the better for multi-purpose use?  Why?

1.Triangle Reticle
2.Standard Crosshairs
3.Mil-Dot Crosshairs
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a triangle that I got in a trade.  I'd probably prefer a standard crosshair, but I don't dislike it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd say the triangle if you're dead-set on an Accupoint; but, I'd say get a Vortex Viper PST, Vortex Razor HD, or the GRSC Inc. 1-6 variable. The horseshoe dot reticule, in my opinion, is tits for an AR. ETA: Especially if it is First Focal Plane.

Trijicon is also coming out with the VCOG in horseshoe dot; but, I've heard talks of ELCAN-esque prices.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Mildot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the green triangle. Precise aiming point up top or just put the triangle on the target and squeeze up close.
I really like it for point blank all the way out to 350-400 yard general purpose shooting
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say the triangle if you're dead-set on an Accupoint; but, I'd say get a Vortex Viper PST, Vortex Razor HD, or the GRSC Inc. 1-6 variable. The horseshoe dot reticule, in my opinion, is tits for an AR. ETA: Especially if it is First Focal Plane.

Trijicon is also coming out with the VCOG in horseshoe dot; but, I've heard talks of ELCAN-esque prices.
View Quote

$2,200 is the price I saw for the VCOG. Still want one.

To the OP: On the Accupoint I like the triangle reticle. It's a fast reticle at closer ranges. I prefer a horseshoe style reticle to though. Especially the ones that have BDC (Bullet Drop Compensation) reticles.

Also, you didn't mention your intended use for the rifle. That would make a difference in reticle choice for me.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I've tried to like the accupoint several times. TR24G. The triangle is not really that accurate compared to crosshairs. Hard to be really precise with it.

The triangle also starts to cover up the target once you get beyond 200yds (assuming 50/200 zero). That said, I have been able to get hits on steel out to 400yds if I know how high to hold over (I guess you could also dial for elevation but that's not really my thing, too afraid of losing the caps I guess.) Beyond 300 I find 4x is not quite enough but it depends what you're shooting at.

Accupoint beats all other 1-x variable scopes for battery life!

During the day it is awesome (unless you're shooting from a covered position.)

I'm waiting for the VCOG. If that doesn't pan out, I may try to like the Accupoint again. The illumination on just about all the other scopes sucks, or the illumination is okay but the battery life sucks. I've been spoiled for battery life by Aimpoints.

I haven't tried the Accupoint crosshair reticle, I hear the dot is really to small to use like an Aimpoint on 1x.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I had an Accupoint TR24R (triangle) and the scope was very nice but I couldn't get use to the triangle. I'm probably going to get a Leupold VX-R Patrol to replace it, with the mil dot/ranging type reticle. If I were to get another low power Accupoint in the future I would get the mil dot or crosshair version. Just my personal preference.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Define "multi purpose use", and which accupoint magnification are you considering?

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top