Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 10:29:25 PM EDT
I ordered up a Bushnell TRS-25 that has been on special lately (everywhere) for $70. Seemed like a good red dot to get started with, not having any yet.
I've been reading up on mount options, and i would like to have a 1/3 co-witness with my front post. I have a Stag 2ht upper with a regular flat top upper and A2 post and i'm looking for the proper height mount to achieve the 1/3 co-witness with this specific red dot. On a connected topic, is it worth getting a QD mount over a clamp down? If i won't be able to put it back on without re-zeroing the optic, then it seems pretty pointless to get one.

Also how are you zeroing red dots? Is using the iron sights sufficient, or is a boresighter laser a necessary investment? I've seen them all over the place from $10-100. Not sure what one should cost or a decent one to go with. I don't mind spending the money, because i have a fair amount of .223 and plan on getting a scope or two in the future.

TIA!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:41:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Zero your rifle at 50 yards for the flattest zero you can obtain in an .223/5.56. You can get a quick and easy on paper zero by adjusting the dot to sit on top of your front sight post while you peer through the rear peep.

You will be 1-2 inches high depending on your load at 150 and back down to zero at around 200-225 yards.

The quick detach mount you are looking for is here: http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=30&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

It was made for the Bushnell dot. It costs as much as the dot itself but the mount is excellent. I currently have one in my possession for review.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:25:13 AM EDT
[#2]
A cheap alternative is the UTG http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Profile-Riser-Mount-slots/dp/B003TWZG4G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382876550&sr=8-2&keywords=utg+riser

They are cheap enough so I got both the high and low ones. Turned out the high profile one worked best for co witness. I just recently switched it over to a 9mm carbine with HK sight set and had to use the low one for dead on 'dot on top of post' co witness.  Holding up fine so far but then my rifle is a range toy so no tossing in truck or dropping on ground

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll second the UTG mount... it's fine for it's purpose.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
+1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Zero your rifle at 50 yards for the flattest zero you can obtain in an .223/5.56. You can get a quick and easy on paper zero by adjusting the dot to sit on top of your front sight post while you peer through the rear peep.

You will be 1-2 inches high depending on your load at 150 and back down to zero at around 200-225 yards.

The quick detach mount you are looking for is here: http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=30&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

It was made for the Bushnell dot. It costs as much as the dot itself but the mount is excellent. I currently have one in my possession for review.

View Quote

It would appear that QD mount is at the top of the spectrum (cost wise). I will keep the link handy, thanks.

The guys recommending the UTG mount, what height are you getting for 1/3 co-witness? Are you referencing a QD mount or std mount? Return to zero?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Use the high profile one.  It is not QD, just a big thumb screw.  I don't know about return to zero because I never tried it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
They do make a quick detach version. Bought one for my TRS-25. Works like a charm and only cost $15.00!

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Rated-Double-Integral-System/dp/B004RNC8RY/ref=pd_sim_sg_5

Read the reviews on the same page.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top