Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2013 2:04:41 PM EDT
I have several recent build AR15s that I would like to accuracy test.  I have a scope that I use for load development, and I'm going to put it in a DNZ Reaper mount.  The ARs have different barrels, and are configured differently in terms of rails etc.  But the uppers are identical.  I don't want to have to bore sight each upper and spend a few rounds zero'ing them -- I'd like to zero one upper, shoot it, and then move the scope to the next upper (the lower will stay the same throughout the test, so cheek weld and position will be the same, along with fire controls, etc) and repeat.  

Of course I realize my zero won't be 100% on, but I'm going for group size and muzzle velocity data.  As long as I can hit a 8x11 sheet of paper at 100y so I can print the groups, I'm fine with it.

So the question is, assuming geometry on the upper receivers' rails is the same, can I expect a scope that is shared across a couple of uppers for an afternoon of testing to be able to produce hits that are "close enough?"

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
would be a large amount of luck involved in that, even slight differences in barrel alignment or the squareness of the receiver rail and can put you off a good bit rifle to rifle.  I have had it work out for me on a couple guns though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
DO NOT start at 100 yards!

Start at 25, or even closer until you see what is going on.

You might find that 50 works well, too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Too many variables, even scopes on QD mounts removed and reattached to the same spot rarely retain zero.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too many variables, even scopes on QD mounts removed and reattached to the same spot rarely retain zero.
View Quote

My Larue and ADM do
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
DO NOT start at 100 yards!

Start at 25, or even closer until you see what is going on.

You might find that 50 works well, too.
View Quote

This was going to be my response.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have several recent build AR15s that I would like to accuracy test.  I have a scope that I use for load development, and I'm going to put it in a DNZ Reaper mount.  The ARs have different barrels, and are configured differently in terms of rails etc.  But the uppers are identical.  I don't want to have to bore sight each upper and spend a few rounds zero'ing them -- I'd like to zero one upper, shoot it, and then move the scope to the next upper (the lower will stay the same throughout the test, so cheek weld and position will be the same, along with fire controls, etc) and repeat.  

Of course I realize my zero won't be 100% on, but I'm going for group size and muzzle velocity data.  As long as I can hit a 8x11 sheet of paper at 100y so I can print the groups, I'm fine with it.

So the question is, assuming geometry on the upper receivers' rails is the same, can I expect a scope that is shared across a couple of uppers for an afternoon of testing to be able to produce hits that are "close enough?"

View Quote

No.

I just did this.  TINY differences in rails/barrels/assemblies mean BIG differences in POI.  I moved the same scope between 4 uppers, just like you are talking.  Some of them were within 6 inches.  One was 18" different POI.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I then re-attached the original optics (ACOG in a LaRue, Aimpoint in a LaRue, Burris TAC30 in a LaRue, Leuopold 6.5x20 in a LaRue).  The WORST of them required 1 MOA adjustment.  That means all of them were within 1" at 100yds.  One was 1/2 MOA off, the other two were dead on.  That degree of difference can be attributed simply to the ammo brand I was shooting that day.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]
If it is a problem, you can always get a bigger sheet of paper.

Good data FALARAK.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
It will be off from gun to gun. For example I have 2 AR's and the rear buis on one is adjusted to the left to get me on target and the other is adjusted towards the right to get me on target.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No.

I just did this.  TINY differences in rails/barrels/assemblies mean BIG differences in POI.  I moved the same scope between 4 uppers, just like you are talking.  Some of them were within 6 inches.  One was 18" different POI.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

And when you think about it, if something is off in alignment by 1/10th of a degree, that equals 6MOA, so with all the parts that would need to be manufactured/assembled almost identically, it's not realistic to expect to be able to switch between rifles and have a relatively close POI.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Its so easy to bore sight just remove the bolt carrier and charging handle before you put the upper on the lower and put it in sandbags look down the barrel and adjust

your scope to the center of the target that the barrel is aimed at.  It only takes a few seconds for me to do it at 100 yards and I am usually less than 4" off.  That will be

a whole lot more accurate than just switching the scope with no adjustments.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Larue
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#14]
simple solution is to just put your target on a large sheet of cardboard.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top