Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 8:48:44 AM EDT
Am looking at purchasing a RRA LAR-8 Predator HP with RRA Operator A2 Stock for target shooting and hunting.  Am just a recreational user so am looking for something reliable, durable and not overly pricey.

What manufacturers do you recommend along with power of scope?  Want something variable and with mil-dot.  Max range will more than likely be around 400 yds.

I am not very well versed on optics as I only have an Aimpoint CompML2 on My Stag.  So any help or suggestions that you could provide would be outstanding.

Definitely will be utilizing LaRue mounts.  On other question that probably belongs in another section is, any recommendations for a bi-pod that would work with this rifle?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Budget?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Nevermind, missed the part about 400 yards...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
For 400 yards and under a 3-9 would work. As for the bipod I would go with a LaRue/Harris combo or an Atlas. But for the price, the LaRue/Harris combo is the best.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice gun.  

I would put a 3-9x40mm power scope on it with finger adjustable turrets in 1/10 mil-dot so it makes the holdover and windage corrections easier using the mil dot reticle.  Put it on a quick detach LaRue scope mount with flip up sights for back-up.

Whatever your budget is will generally determine how much optical clarity, adjustment reliability/repeatability and toughness you get in your scope.

You will need a rail adapter if you use a regular bipod.  It will attach to the bottom rail and provide the stud for any normal bipod to work.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
3-9x40..I have a Nikon Prostaff with the finger adjustable turrets..They are very good scopes and hold zero..and the BDC reticle works very well with the .223 round..
Take a look through one and you will find the glass to be very nice..The other nice scope in the 150.00 or less range
would be a Redfield Revolution line..The glass is not quite as good in my opinion as the Nikon but Redfields are now made by Leopold...Both have full lifetime warrantys..Maybe you are looking at a higher budget but either of those would serve you well if on a somewhat low budget.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, forgot to mention in the original post, budget of around $600 or less.

Also, want to mention that this would be a .308/7.62 round.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you guys think about something like this?

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-AR-riflescopes/mark-ar-3-9x40mm-t2/
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44

SWFA SS 3-9x42
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Any other suggestions?  Again, thanks for the help.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top