BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/10/2011 11:24:45 AM EDT
This is news to me.  Highlights include: 1.75 moa dot, 3 year average battery life, dual illumination (AA battery and solar) with NV capability. Price is supposedly sub-$1000 and availability is targeted for SHOT 2012.

GearScout Article
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.....I dunno if I would be willing to trade my Comp M4 for one though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]
looks interesting. solar power though? really?
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Any chance of red vice the amber dot?
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it, if they would price it in the $500 ballpark I'd be tempted - $1000 .... I'd have a hard time justifying that kind of cash for a red-dot.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh my god... that's the ugliest optic I've ever seen.  

Nothing really much to add at this point until some more people get 'em in their hands and write reviews.  I like Trijicon stuff, but the price does seem a little hefty if it's in the ACOG range.  Worth it for the technology associated maybe... for the advantage it gives, still dubious.  

Plus, well... ugly's still ugly.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like it, if they would price it in the $500 ballpark I'd be tempted - $1000 .... I'd have a hard time justifying that kind of cash for a red-dot.

No kidding. Looks neat, but not that neat. Would rather have seen Trijicon come out with a FFP TR24 w/ACOG BDC.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
It does look like a MARS reflex got flipped and made sweet love to a SpectreDR.  The GearScout sample has a QD mount (dunno if it will be included, but given the price point, it should be).
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll keep my T1s and M4s.  I see no significant advantage to the proven Aimpoint line.  

I wouldn't even consider one for a serious gun until they have been out in huge numbers at least a year.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
It has some advantages over the CompM4 (smaller size) , and some advantages over the Micro T1 (bigger FOV)
But it also has less battery life than both and is one of the ugliest optics I've ever seen.

It;s basically an ugly aimpoint micro with a bigger objective and less battery life.
I'm not sure the advantages are worth $1000, in this case.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks to be a vastly improved version of the old Zeiss Z-point. Huge FOV through the 38mm objective, short OAL to reduce the "tube" effect, solar cell for guaranteed daytime operation w/o battery, common AA battery when daylight not available. *Very* interesting concept but for $1,000 I'll pass ($500 would be a different story!... )
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#12]
And here I was thinking of updating to Micro T-1's so I could be more with the times. Geesh!!! I like the features and all but it is ass ugly. Seeing how if you use a red dot properly the FOV is not that important I think I would have chose to have made it way smaller. It looks like someone took a shit on top of a turd and scraped Trijicon on the side, but I guess looks aren't everything.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks good but I want to read more reviews and get my hands on one first.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not the prettiest thing ever but it's practical.  Short with a huge field of view.  I also like how they put the elevation and windage adjustments out of the way, makes a very clean sight picture.  I'm also glad Trijicon is willing to acknowledge the shortcomings of the tritium illumination and not only just go to a battery but make an improvement by adding the solar power.  Seriously, if a $1 pocket calculator has a solar panel, why not an optic, especially if it allows for battery free illumination during the day as the article described.  It's exiting to see Trijicon being innovative, as Aimpoint and Eotech have probably lacked that lately.  If this is priced close to a CompM4, and if people are willing to get past the looks, I think it can become a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks to be a vastly improved version of the old Zeiss Z-point. Huge FOV through the 38mm objective, short OAL to reduce the "tube" effect, solar cell for guaranteed daytime operation w/o battery, common AA battery when daylight not available. *Very* interesting concept but for $1,000 I'll pass ($500 would be a different story!... )
Tomac

Knowing you, you will have one mounted up an hour after release anyway....
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#16]
way overpriced for what it is.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like the old Zeiss Z-point

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#18]
My first thought.... Trijicon must be worried about the market shares their giving up to Aimpoint and L-3...

Obviously, they feel their optics in a CQB arena are less then ideal, and putting a Mini red dot on top of a Magnified sucks for offset and check weld.

And for all these "Wide field of view" comments...How many times must it be said... their is no Field of view when your shoot with both eyes open....

You see a dot....and a target....nothing else.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Gotta love all the haters before the thing is even out.  I'll reserve judgement until I actually get a REAL price and get a chance to see a REAL product.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd be willing to try one out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Anything over $500 and I'm losing interest. Anything close to $1K and No Way.

Trijicon is an awesome company and if I can support a US Company over a foreign one I'm going to do it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Very interesting. I love Trijicon products so I'll keep an eye on this as developments continue.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#23]
And here I was thinking they were going to do something foolish and make an 1-10X AccuCOG.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Gotta love all the haters before the thing is even out.  I'll reserve judgement until I actually get a REAL price and get a chance to see a REAL product.

This is exactly what I was going to say.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#25]
looks awesome.

but at that price not a snowball's chance in hell it takes off.

reference: Insight ISM.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomac

Knowing you, you will have one mounted up an hour after release anyway....

"One"?...
Tomac

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:40:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I like it.
Will definitely check one out when they hit the shelves.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Interesting, but the Aimpoint still destroys it in battery life despite the Trijicon using solar power during the day.

Looks like it has an auto-adjusting brightness setting though which could prove very useful.

I don't think it's any uglier than a M4, but I'm a T1 guy myself. Looks like the profile looking through the optic is like a large T1.

I may have to try one if its in the Aimpoint price range (~$600). Anything close to $1000 and I won't be interested.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And here I was thinking they were going to do something foolish and make an 1-10X AccuCOG.

That would make too much sense now wouldn't it? At least this years new toy is for a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

. . . At least this years new toy is for a rifle.

Very true.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Definitely interested in this.. Trijicons are built like tanks and there is a lot of Arizona sunlight for that solar powered goodness
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My first thought.... Trijicon must be worried about the market shares their giving up to Aimpoint and L-3...

Obviously, they feel their optics in a CQB arena are less then ideal, and putting a Mini red dot on top of a Magnified sucks for offset and check weld.

And for all these "Wide field of view" comments...How many times must it be said... their is no Field of view when your shoot with both eyes open....

Wide FOV for a RDS reflects the sensitivity to head position for dot acquisition.

Think RMR sight vs T-1 vs Comp M4.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd like to see it myself, although I think they should have spent that time working on a new variable AccuPoint with ACOG reticule!
One thing I've noticed is that Trijicon red dots are much clearer to me than AimPoints so for those with AP blurry-dot issues, this could be an alternative.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#34]

On another note, wonder how the photo voltaic cells on top of the SRS would hold up during the DD Torture test that the Aimpoint T1 went thru?

Bottom line (in my opinion) is that the market battle for RDS sights was won by Aimpoint, period. They focused entirely on the red dot sight concept and didn't stray into other arenas such as multi zoom optics, etc. As a result, they have a product that is at the top in it's category, period. The SRS (in my opinion) does not introduce any new breakthru technology or as a product, does not fill a market need that exists. In regards to photo voltaic cells, Zeiss has used them for years on their dot/reflex sight.

YMMV

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#35]
It does look a lot like the Zeiss/Hensoldt reflex sight, and it even has the automatic brightness control (I'm guessing the ambient light sensor is behind the little trijicon logo on the front of the sight).  It's three times the weight of the Zeiss Z-Point/Hensoldt RSA-S sight though, which is tough to comprehend.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#36]
So it's an update on the Tri-Power?
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Aw, man...  I was hoping for a variable ACOG...  
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#38]
A vendor on another sight claims $774 MAP. Which, is right at the high end of the Comp M4 cost.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting, but the Aimpoint still destroys it in battery life despite the Trijicon using solar power during the day.

I want clarification if the 3 years is battery only or combo.  The way the statement was written leads me to believe it is self sufficient in day light.

From the writeups and video it seems that the battery life is 3 years, but in sunlight it doesn't use batteries (the video shows them firing with an empty battery compartment). So I would imagine it's 3 yr battery only.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#41]
So it adds what to the current market? Even with dual power it still has inferior battery life to an aimpoint, and it's heavier.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So it adds what to the current market? Even with dual power it still has inferior battery life to an aimpoint, and it's heavier.

Can be fired in daytime WITHOUT a battery.
Shorter
More forgiving of head position than aimpoints
Much less "tube effect" than aimpoints

It's definitely an interesting optic, and I hope it does well (knowing Trijicon it will). The difference in battery life between 3 and 5 years is negligible (at least to me) anyways considering the variable of the battery itself, and the "preventative maintenance" that should be done on the battery periodically. The weight is the other issue, and that i totally agree with.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shorter

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/trijicon-srs/100611odtrijiconsrs19.jpg

It's definitely an interesting optic, and I hope it does well (knowing Trijicon it will). The difference in battery life between 3 and 5 years is negligible (at least to me) anyways considering the variable of the battery itself, and the "preventative maintenance" that should be done on the battery periodically. The weight is the other issue, and that i totally agree with.

The whole aimpoit tube effect doesnt happen if you use both eyes. When i use my pro i just see a circle with a dot in the center.

Also i fail to see how its more forgiving of head position when the hole we look into is the same size as an aimpoint

Another thin to remember is price and durability, my pro was $400 eith a 3yr battery life and built like a tank.

If that things $800 its not going to do well, id also like to see how durable that big giant solar panel is when it takes a nice blow from a grunt dropping or slamming the rifle into some rocks
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want clarification if the 3 years is battery only or combo.  The way the statement was written leads me to believe it is self sufficient in day light.

From the writeups and video it seems that the battery life is 3 years, but in sunlight it doesn't use batteries (the video shows them firing with an empty battery compartment). So I would imagine it's 3 yr battery only.

The way it's written suggests that the battery lasts 3 years when taking into account that the sun will be powering the optic during the day. From this article it seems that the actual constant battery life without the photovoltaic cell is actually much shorter, but Trijicon figures that the battery will last about 3 years during average usage with both sun and battery power combined.

From the article:

They set it up to run from the solar panel on top when there’s sunlight
available, leaving the battery unmolested ’till the sun goes down.  Once
it gets dark, only then does it draw on the battery. The optic should
last a few years this way.

Someone who only shoots on the range during daytime would be good to go for a long time, but someone who puts it on a HD only rifle that stays indoors may not have much battery life since the sun will almost never be powering it.

However, this is just a preliminary review, and we may not know for sure until SHOT. Either way, 3 years of battery life is still the best of any non-Aimpoint optic and nothing to sneeze at since you still have a daylight capable optic even after the battery is at.

I'm just glad to see Trijicon release a new rifle optic. Last year's bow sight was pretty disappointing.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shorter

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/trijicon-srs/100611odtrijiconsrs19.jpg

The whole aimpoit tube effect doesnt happen if you use both eyes. When i use my pro i just see a circle with a dot in the center.

Also i fail to see how its more forgiving of head position when the hole we look into is the same size as an aimpoint

Another thin to remember is price and durability, my pro was $400 eith a 3yr battery life and built like a tank.

If that things $800 its not going to do well, id also like to see how durable that big giant solar panel is when it takes a nice blow from a grunt dropping or slamming the rifle into some rocks

When talking about RDSs, that's the tube effect. The SRS claims to reduce the width of that circle, and allow a more forgiving head position to see the dot. I'm not sure how it works having such a small ocular lense and a large body around the lense either, but thats their claim.

I'm a bit leary of the solar panel, however, I know they can be made to be pretty near indestructible, and I can't see Trijicon putting a frail panel on there. Some people still seem to think the fiber optic on the ACOGs are a week point.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#46]
hopefully under 1000!?!?

good luck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#47]
The battery live argument is just goofy. It takes a AA battery. I'd probably change it once a year on Daylight savings switch day, just like my smoke detector batteries. I us a Trijicon reflex because 99% of the time, the brightness of the reticule is perfect, without me touching it. That feature is what interest me the most.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wide FOV for a RDS reflects the sensitivity to head position for dot acquisition.

Oh, I get that.... but have always discounted that because you don't get the luxury of that with Irons, so you should not expect to have it with RDS.

It's great to have the extra luxury of poor head position, but it should not be the yardstick for them either...
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I get that.... but have always discounted that because you don't get the luxury of that with Irons, so you should not expect to have it with RDS.

It's great to have the extra luxury of poor head position, but it should not be the yardstick for them either...

That's one of several reasons to use a red dot. In less than perfect conditions you can use your sights in positions you can't use irons. So being able to allow more room for error is better in my mind. It's not for promoting poor shooting technique.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Using both eyes open, I still find the tube of the Aimpoint to be distracting.  Maybe just the way my brain's wired personally, but I can't not see the housing and be distracted by it.  It's the old "looking through a drinking straw" thing.  

I think it's less the diameter of thing but the profile "density" that distracts me.  

The EOTech window in my opinion is less distracting as it's shorter and thinner since there are no electronics built up around the EOTech window unlike the Aimpoint's tube.  

Just a personal preference.  

This new Trijicon sight seems to shorten the tube, so I wonder how much that will affect the perceived "density" of the tube for me.  

I agree with TCBA_Joe that I just don't see Trijicon using an easy to damage panel in the optic.  

That being said though, if it's going to priced competitively with a TA01NSN (my preferred ACOG), I'd just as soon get the ACOG than bother with a solar powered RDS.  Battery life isn't an issue for me for reasons I've discussed in other threads.

Oh, and I still think it's ugly as sin.  

~Augee
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top