Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 5:54:00 AM EDT
Aimpoint flipups used to have two thumb "ears" on both front and rear caps.  My new ML-3 rear cap only has one ear which is a problem if you like to install them to flip down - rotating it to have the hinge on the bottom puts the ear right in front of the power switch where you have to dig for it.  Looking at pics I see both types; I'm going to have to look for an older one.

When did the design change?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#1]
My 2 year old ML3 just has one ear.

I have mine with the hinge on the bottom and the only time I ever have to touch the switch is when the cap is open.

Wouldn't the one with 2 ears still be in front of the switch while the cap is closed?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Run them as flip downs...
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#3]
That's what he said he's doing.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I'm not understanding why you would need to make power adjustments with the rear cap closed.

Nor do I see how the older 2 eared version would help as it has an ear at 10 and 2.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing to do with accessing the power switch - it has to do with opening the cover.  When you have the single ear cover upside down, you need to pry between the ear and the switch to open instead of hitting the 10:00 ear.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My 2 year old aimpoint is like that as well I really dont see it as a problem  I just grab the cover with my finger and pull it down I dont even use the ear.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My 2 year old aimpoint is like that as well I really dont see it as a problem  I just grab the cover with my finger and pull it down I dont even use the ear.

Try it with gloves and get back to me.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#8]
If anyone trips across this thread that has a spare double ear eyepiece cover, I'm putting up a WTB in the EE.  Please track me down!  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try it with gloves and get back to me.

You may have a point I have never tried it with gloves.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I set mine to flip to the left but rotated down as far as possible (about 120* from straight up) that puts the single ear at about 90* to the right and clears the switch.

ETA- like this
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I set mine to flip to the left but rotated down as far as possible (about 120* from straight up) that puts the single ear at about 90* to the right and clears the switch.

ETA- like this
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/rcsg_2009/16mod3p.jpg

You must be a "lefty."  If you shoot like that as a "righty" the caps would completely obscure the field of view of your left eye.

-or-

you just shoot with your left eye closed.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure how you feel about clear lens covers, I've been using both front and rear clear lens covers so if I don't have time to open them I could still aim my red dot and still hit the target.

I tried it at the shooting range at 25 and 50 yd and no problems, the only thing is that the rear lens cover also have only one ear same as the new latest version solid covers.

The new Aimpoint PRO model includes clear rear lens covers, a slight drawback with these clear covers is there are more lens areas to clean.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#13]
You know, I hadn't considered a clear cover ala PRO.  I may look into that - thanks for the suggestion!

I'd still like to find an older double ear cap, too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#14]
how about keep the covers off.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
how about keep the covers off.

I prefer the protection of the covers, thanks.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top