Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2010 10:55:20 AM EDT
I have a DPMS AP4 and I'm wanting to start dressing it up. One of the things I am wanting to do is to replace the factory handguard and replace it with a rail. I've never done this before and was wanting to know if someone can give me some advice on how and what to do? Is it hard to take off and replace? Will I need any tools?
Also, can someone recommend and good rail system for me at a decent price. I'm wanting to put a bi-pod on it.
Thanks,
Joe
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends on the rail you choose. There are free float rails and drop in rails. If you don't plan to use optics on the rail a drop in rail might work for yours needs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a DPMS AP4 and I'm wanting to start dressing it up. One of the things I am wanting to do is to replace the factory handguard and replace it with a rail. I've never done this before and was wanting to know if someone can give me some advice on how and what to do? Is it hard to take off and replace? Will I need any tools?
Also, can someone recommend and good rail system for me at a decent price. I'm wanting to put a bi-pod on it.
Thanks,
Joe

There are some dedicated tools for this, but if you have a pair of channel locks, then try this.

Remove the upper, brace it on the floor with knees shoulder, whatever.  With two hands free, use the plastic/foam handles of the channel lock to bear down on the delta ring.  Then, now this is tricky, maintain the downward pressure on the delta ring and free a hand to remove the handguards.

It will work.

I've used Troy's rails on several of my m-forgeries.  They sell at a reasonable price, easy installation IMHO.  For a bipod, that's a big decision you may need, or the hivemind can chime in on, to ponder.  As for installation, I suspect most bipods will have an adapter to attach to your rails.

Best,

Ed

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownell's has some great videos on how to build AR-15s and it includes installing a new handguard.

As for specific rails to look into, Daniel Defense, Troy, LaRue have great reputations. I've personally used Midwest Industries and Yankee Hill Machine because of their affordability and their reputation. They might not be as good as the top tier rails but for the price I couldn't pass up. Also, if you want a lightweight rail system you can always look into Magpul's handguards.

For the bipod, hands down Harris. I've got a 6-9" with notches in the leg. I have a LaRue bipod mount that absolutely fantastic.

Here is a pic of one of my rifles with the Harris Bipod and LaRue mount. The quad rail is a Midwest Industries one piece free float:
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Do the channel lock thing and have someone else pop the gaurds apart.

Its easy to drop in two piece rails, just reverse the process. much more difficult for a true free float.

The two piece move slightly sometimes, so if you are just hanging a bipod and flashlight its ok.

A laser will move around slightly, if thats the purpose, get a  free float installed or buy the nec tools to do it.

Brent
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered a magpul handguard and have the same question.   Will use videos and google links below:

==============================

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=remove+ar+15+handguard&aq=0s

youtube search on how to remove handguard  

I would not know how to do anything on firearms without the internet and youtube.  

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+remove+ar15+handguard
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top