Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 8:02:29 PM EDT
I had to borrow a rifle for 3-gun over the weekend, and it had the IOR Valdada 1.5-8x26 35mm Tactical Illuminated CQB with Capped Turrets (linky) on it.

I think I'm in love.  Holy CRAP was that thing clear & bright.  And there was no "sight offset" at close range (~20 yards) - the bullets went where I put the dot.  It was broad daylight, so I didn't get to use the illuminated reticle, but I'm sure that's nice to have in low light.

Granted, I was only shooting at steel 90 yards away, but the rifle's owner said I shot better than he's ever seen me shoot before (and no, he wasn't trying to sell me something).  

I need to try the IOR again at longer range, just to prove to myself that it's as nice for shooting 400 yard steels as it was up close.

I was considering just breaking down and getting an ACOG, but I'm pretty sure I want the IOR instead.  You don't get variable magnification with the ACOG, probably why it's about $400 cheaper.  Feel free to suggest alternatives, of course.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking for an optic for 3 gun, you should really look for something with true 1x at the low end and a reticle that's illumination is daytime bright.

On a "budget" I'd look at the Trijicon TR24 and the Meopta K-Dot.

If you want to spend some serious dough, check out the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for posting that review. I am this /\ close to ordering one myself.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Ditto!  I'm looking to put glass on a 16" Recce. The IOR Valdada 1.5-8x26 is one I'm extremely interested in, but haven't seen to many reviews. It's definately not from a lack of looking.  The tacked threads in the Optics section are generally sticking to 1-4x glass...stressing true 1x.  For my purposes, I do not necessarily need a true 1x.
I hear there will be some new optics in the 1-10x range coming out soon.  Just want to cry once you know...
I'm also looking at Swaro and Vortex.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ditto!  I'm looking to put glass on a 16" Recce. The IOR Valdada 1.5-8x26 is one I'm extremely interested in, but haven't seen to many reviews. It's definately not from a lack of looking.  The tacked threads in the Optics section are generally sticking to 1-4x glass...stressing true 1x.  For my purposes, I do not necessarily need a true 1x.
I hear there will be some new optics in the 1-10x range coming out soon.  Just want to cry once you know...

Leupold, Premier, and S&B are all releasing 1-8x scopes.  Except to spend around 3 grand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not convinced "true 1x" is such a big deal.  Why would it be?  The IOR scope was set on 4x when I was using it on Sunday, but I had no problems hitting paper about 20-30 yards away.  No sight offset; it was planting bullets exactly where I put the dot.  Arguably, I could have been faster with the scope set to the minimum of 1.5x, but then I would have had to slow down on the 90 yard steels.

8x is plenty to handle any distance I'm going to encounter in 3-gun.  It might even be enough for some serious, 600+ yd. reach-out-and-touch-something action, but I'm not really set up for that (1:9 barrels on both rifles, 55 grain .224" bullets are all I reload).
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not convinced "true 1x" is such a big deal.  Why would it be?  The IOR scope was set on 4x when I was using it on Sunday, but I had no problems hitting paper about 20-30 yards away.  No sight offset; it was planting bullets exactly where I put the dot.  Arguably, I could have been faster with the scope set to the minimum of 1.5x, but then I would have had to slow down on the 90 yard steels.

8x is plenty to handle any distance I'm going to encounter in 3-gun.  It might even be enough for some serious, 600+ yd. reach-out-and-touch-something action, but I'm not really set up for that (1:9 barrels on both rifles, 55 grain .224" bullets are all I reload).

At a lot of 3 gun matches you will see a LOT of targets well inside of 20-30 yards.  5 yards isn't uncommon.  Having a true 1x optic with a wide FOV is very nice in those situations.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have an IOR 2.5-10 and love it. They are indeed built like tanks and weigh just as much. But the glass is the cleanest I have ever looked through.

That was what really impressed me about the IOR I used on Sunday, apart from the nifty bullet drop reticle.  Very, very clear and bright picture, no chromatic aberration that I could see.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using an IOR 1.1-4 for  years and love it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]
The reason you didn't notice a "sight offset" at 20 yards is probably because the scope was zeroed at that distance.  I zero at 50 yards and have to hold around 2" high from point blank to 25 yards.

I've been using a IOR 1.1x4 for 3 gun for around 6 years and like it.  I don't have any issues hitting targets out to 400 yards but the up to 8x options would be nice for anything further.

Since the illumination isn't visible under bright sun, I wish they had a no illumination option and drop the price a few hundred dollars.

I've used a 1.5x minumum power scope before and so have a few of my friends and we didn't have an issue unless there were close swinging targets and a 1.5x gives you a tunnel vission which made it harder to see the target coming.

Learn how to use the BDC, it is your friend unless you like figuring out the hold over, where that hold over location is at that distance and aim at nothing (actually some point above the target).  I use the BDC so I'm lining up hash marks at anything 300 yards and out.  I just wish they kept the BDC in mils (like in mine) and not for a specific bullet weight and velocity.

I also have a Meopta but use the IOR because the better reticle is more important to me than illumination.  I have the Meopta on my 22 lr practice rifle and have used in a few 22 matches.  It is great for that game since we only shoot out to 100 yards and don't need a BDC.

For years I thought I had a clear and bright scope until I checked out my friends 1.1-4 S&B.  That thing was so much clearer and brighter, the long range stuff was easier to see and get on target and the illumination is brighter than the Meopta.  I bought my IOR and Meopta years ago for less than $600 and don't think the extra clarity and brightness of the S&B is worth spending 4-5 times more unless I had that cash sitting around collecting dust.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The great thing about IOR optics is they are built like tank, good look hurting one, the bad thing about IOR optics is they weigh as much as a tank!

That and the price are the only things holding me back.

Quoted:
Since the illumination isn't visible under bright sun, I wish they had a no illumination option and drop the price a few hundred dollars.

I could agree with that and along those lines, I also wish they didn't come with rings. I'm sure that's adding at least another $50 to the price tag for something that will end up in a spare parts box.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got the IOR 1.5-8 and the 1.1-4.  The 8X lives on my 308, the 4X swops between rifles.
The 1.5 is not an issue shooting both eyes open, my brain just figures it out. Reticule visibility is a far greater concern for me.

note to self...get some fucking low rings !
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Well since you said you were open to suggestions and a few moons ago before I lurched out a bought my first premium piece of AR glass I just had to have the 2-12x32 SF w. mp8 and did a ton of research on them and along the way I keep getting..go with NF, so much so that I think I almost turned away as I sensed some serious fanboyism....fate would have it that I would have the opportunity to grab a NF first and so I did......will not be looking for anything else besides perhaps a SB 1-8 when they become avail. than NF as they not only have one the finest, most rugid and reliable glass in the biz, they actually took my emails prior to buying either NF or IOR and did all they could to inform me on their product, and their continued service after the sale.

IOR did not ever return an email nor did it answer their toll free with anybody that could help me out.....they are by in large a foreign company with foreign service.  I have seen and heard of great glass from IOR, and I have heard or seen almost as many CS and QC issues and returns now as well.   I have heard one of the respected dealers on this site talk about the amt. of returns they get b/t leupy, IOR, NF, etc....and NF was a clear cut winner by a large margin so when you buy with an American glass company you might give up a shade in actual glass clarity and crispness to euro glass but you gain far more in other areas imho starting with confidence in the product to begin with and playing "hit or miss" sucks at $1500 a pop.  

Just to touch on the features on that IOR, I believe you gain very little over a 2-10 type with a 1.5-8 and honestly you loose more imho.  The ret in IOR model limit you to say the least whereas other offerings will afford you more ability to match a ret. to your particular use.  I really cannot see anyway I could justify $1500 for that glass in the face of quite a few others in the price range.  I would look at a NF nxs compact 2.5-10x24 or a USO SN4 1.5-6x28 or SN3 1.8-10x37.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top