Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2009 5:36:00 PM EDT
I'm new AR's and rifles in general. Please confirm for me how to find zero. I just purchased an EoTech XPS. I'll be zeroing at 50  Yards. OK... If my first shot is low right while aiming for dead center of the target, I want to move my red dot with the windage adjustments to low, right? is this correct?
Do laser Bores work wth AR's? are they worth it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#1]
no, yes & yes
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm new AR's and rifles in general. Please confirm for me how to find zero. I just purchased an EoTech XPS. I'll be zeroing at 50  Yards. OK... If my first shot is low right while aiming for dead center of the target, I want to move my red dot with the windage adjustments to low, right? is this correct?
Do laser Bores work wth AR's? are they worth it?

It it hits low right you move the elevation up and windage left.

An easy way is to shoot from a rest, fire three aiming at center of target.

Then steady the gun so it can't move, center scope on target and turn the scope adjustment to the center of the three shots fired.

Then fire three more and make fine adjustments to get it right on.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You want to move the sights in the direction you want your point of impact to change.  If the shot is low and to the right, then you will move the adjustments up and left.  In the scope or red-dot, the aiming point will actually move in the opposite direction.  If you use the method mentioned above where you have the rifle secured in the rest, as you move the adjustment up, you will see the aiming point move down.

Again, the adjustment arrows (up, right) indicate which direction you want the bullet placement to move, not what actually goes on in the sight.

Irons, are a different story, however.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
When you look at your target, you have where you aimed at, and where your bullets went.

To zero, you look at your bullet holes.  What direction do they need to move to get to where you aimed?  

Thats the very simplistic way of remembering how the adjustments work.  

Example- Bullets impacted to the right of where you aimed, so you want to move your bullet impacts to the left.  On your windage adjustment, this means you want to turn them in the direction that coincides with left.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
thank you thank you thank you. i never thought to ask this and so glad you did. i never knew this. i have been moving mine to move the dot where i want the bullet to go. that would explain why i cant seem to get it zeroed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol i wish someone told me that when i got my bushnell holosight.  I was shooting high and to the left, so i figured to move it up and to the left and was soo confused why it would be even further off.  Took me about 3 trips to range to figure YOU KNOW WHAT THIS ISNT WORKING lets see what happens if i do this backwards.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When you look at your target, you have where you aimed at, and where your bullets went.

To zero, you look at your bullet holes.  What direction do they need to move to get to where you aimed?  

Thats the very simplistic way of remembering how the adjustments work.  

Example- Bullets impacted to the right of where you aimed, so you want to move your bullet impacts to the left.  On your windage adjustment, this means you want to turn them in the direction that coincides with left.

Thats perfect, thank you!  I went to the range 2 weeks ago with my first crappy scope. I hit the paper once and then never hit again after going through 50 rounds. I assume I was moving the windage in the wrong direction, it was very frustrating to say the least. I was so frustrated I said screw this and bougt an EOtech, which I really wanted any how. But I figure id ask here before I went back to the range to zero the EoTech and get frustrated again. I had no idea that the dot moves in the oppisite direction!! Your explanation above is perfect and now I get it. Not coming from a hunting or shooting back ground this has been a learning experience, which I thouroghly enjoy.

Do those laser bore thingamajigs work well that you can but at Walmart for faster sighting and less round wasteing?

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I could be wrong but I think my EOTech manual has some cliff notes on how to zero and use the windage and elevation controls.  Good thing to hear that you're on your way to getting it zeroed now.
About the bore sighter, I think they're a waste of money.  When I have a new scope, I'll shoot a known reference point on a 100y berm and then correct until I can finetune on paper.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I could be wrong but I think my EOTech manual has some cliff notes on how to zero and use the windage and elevation controls.  Good thing to hear that you're on your way to getting it zeroed now.
About the bore sighter, I think they're a waste of money.  When I have a new scope, I'll shoot a known reference point on a 100y berm and then correct until I can finetune on paper.

Maybe for you, I use mine a lot because I'm always screwing around with optics. Changing the gun they are on or upgrading mounts, or something. Once I figured out how to use it effectively it gets me real close with only a few shots to fine tune it better. It saves on wasted ammo used to zero your optics or iron sights.

I have used this sight in target for use with a lazer bore sighter and it works real well.
http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/M16A4-M4MWS_EOTech_LBS_Target.pdf

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top