Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 12:46:24 PM EDT
Price not being an issue

Aside from the weight difference, is there anything the M3 has going for it when compared to the M4/M4s?

I have narrowed to down to the two but am leaning Towards the M4s
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the biggest difference is 2MOA dot vs 4MOA dot.  I don't think the M4 is available with 2MOA dots (someone can happily correct me).

I like 2MOA dots over 4MOA dots...so I'd have the M3.

Actually...I'd save the money and get an ML3...you don't gain much going to the M3.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I believe the biggest difference is 2MOA dot vs 4MOA dot.  I don't think the M4 is available with 2MOA dots (someone can happily correct me).

I like 2MOA dots over 4MOA dots...so I'd have the M3.

Actually...I'd save the money and get an ML3...you don't gain much going to the M3.

the M4 only is availible in 2MOA
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Well smack my ass and call me Sally.

I'd still get the ML3 for saving money.  The M4 is just too bulky...and expensive.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
battery life is one differnce. m3 = 50,000 (five years) m4 = 80,000,(nine years) The thing is I dont know of to many batteries that will last that long shelf life wise. When you get to 50,000 hours does another 30,000 really matter, not to me. I can replace batteries every few years....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I read something that led me to believe that the electronics are the same except that one uses a AA bat and the other don't.  I like the M4 because AA are cheap and easy to find.  I plan to leave mine on 24x7 where I wouldn't with my ML2 because getting the batteries was a PITA.  I guess a AA being larger can store more energy than that little camera battery in the M3 and that's why the battery life is 30,000 hrs more.

You should also consider that the price gap narrows between the M3 and M4 when you figure that you have to buy a mount for the M3 and the M4 comes with one.  The M4 mount out of the box will co witness with the Irons on a flat top AR.  It also has a removable spacer to allow for other configurations.  Also special editions are available right now that comes with a Kill Flash and bikini lense covers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally picked up an aimpoint m4 today and love the thing!

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Price not being an issue

Aside from the weight difference, is there anything the M3 has going for it when compared to the M4/M4s?

I have narrowed to down to the two but am leaning Towards the M4s

Price not being an issue, I'm going for the newer, whiz-bang stuff first...just because.

Price being an issue, I'm going with the cheaper of the two.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top