Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 2:47:33 PM EDT
I am getting ready to put an optic on my AR and want a MAG to put behind it. I just cant decide if I want a 3X or a 5X. what do you think? Not going to be shooting past about 300yd, or not planning to. Thinking about the Primary Arms multi reticle M3 for the optic.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
3-4x seems to be the sweet spot for a self-defense, general purpose AR. If you're shooting for groups, get the highest magnification available as scanning for multiple targets won't be a priority in that case.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I am getting ready to put an optic on my AR and want a MAG to put behind it. I just cant decide if I want a 3X or a 5X. what do you think? Not going to be shooting past about 300yd, or not planning to. Thinking about the Primary Arms multi reticle M3 for the optic.

I have a buddy whos was thinking about the same thing! I would call PA and see what is recommended. Now, this is another way to look at red dot optics for your AR. it. One can buy a Vortex Strike fire red dot with a screw on 2x magnifier for about $129-$149.http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1281&idcategory=0
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a 5X for my Eotech and think it's a great value.

Unfortunately the 5X is so long that I can't fit a BUIS on my receiver. Not a huge deal but if you're looking to use a BUIS, the 5X won't work without an extended rail.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#4]
will a flip up rear fit under the 5x if it's folded down? I know it won't work if it's up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

will a flip up rear fit under the 5x if it's folded down? I know it won't work if it's up.

No, there's no room left on the receiver of my CMMG.

IIRC, Marshal from Primary Arms states this in his ad for the 5X.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top