Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 12:49:45 PM EDT
Here's my situation:

I'm looking for glass for the 20" bull barrel build I completed in January.  The gun is to be used primarily for plinking, modest target shooting, pest control, and hopefully some coyote hunting someday.  looking at ranges under 400 yards, and mostly in the 100-200s.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/Tuhlmann/Doublestar002.jpg

This is what I think I want:
*3-12x or 4-16x
*adjustable for parallax, preferably side focus
*40-50mm objective
*tactical/target turrets, or some kind of finger-adjustability
*illuminated reticle would be cool, but not necessary
*duplex reticle, or some variation of––I don't like bdc, and mildot w/moa turrets doesn't make sense to me
*would like to stay under $500

First off, is my magnification too high? I'm thinking coyote to woodchuck/cat in range of size of targets, at distances stated above.

Second, how important is adjustability for parallax at these distances? I've been comfortable on deer-sized game out to 200 with a 2-7 and no AO, but I'm concerned with smaller targets.

Third, I'm aware that Nikon has a turret kit as an accessory, and Leupold will install your choice of turret via their Custom Shop for about $100.  What other makers offer these as accessories or add-ons?

I guess I'm not sure where to compromise given my budget, so that's where your expertise comes in.  All input is appreciated, thanks fellas!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top