Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2007 11:18:19 AM EDT
What do you all prefer for BUIS night sights?  I'm leaning towards the GG&G MAD rear flip sight with Trijicon Tritium inserts for $149.  I was wondering this though, is a rear BUIS with tritium inserts neccesary or can I just get a regular flip BUIS and install a tritium FRONT POST and get the same results?  Just looking for someone who has dealt with this before and what they prefer, maybe I can save a little money before going out and just buying the hippest and most expensive device.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I found that tritium that close to my eyes didn't really help and was more of a distraction. Maybe you can find someone local to you that will let you look through a rear with tritium before you buy, you may want to ask on the New England Hometown forum here on this site, VT doesn't have it's own hometown forum.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Huh, well does just the front post with tritium work well with a regular(non tritium) rear flip sight in the dark?  I imagine it would be hard to get the dot centered in an aperture you couldn't see in the pitch black, but maybe not.  Anyone have experience with this?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Use that $150 toward an Aimpoint or EOTech
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright, guess I'll just get a regular BUIS and a tritium front post.  Can you use Eotechs in the dark?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 rifles with meprolight tritium front sights and I've used the carry handle sight on an M-16A1 during a night shoot when I went through rifle training with the M16A1.  My groups compared to everyone using plain iron sights convinced me the tritium front post was well worth the 40 bucks.  I now carry my own rifle and use a tritium only front sight.  With my 51 year old farsighted eyes any sight that close to my bifocals is blurry and I prefer the front night sight only.  It is very helpful when using a weapon mounted light or just the ambiant light.  I currently use the Midwest Industries A2 fold down Buis and really like it with the meprolight front sight.  If your eyes are good I'd say go for it and if you get the money later for a red dot fine.  It won't hurt to have the tritium front sight in conjunction to a red dot.  I have an E O tech 512 on my duty rifle but the meprolight was paid for so I left it on there and it works for me as a backup if my E O Tech fails.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, thanks a lot VASCAR that was just the info I was looking for.  Now the question is, should I get the rear flip up and tritium front post first or should I get the EOTech.  Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are in Law Enforcement you can get a discount through Brownell's.  The meprolight front list for $46 and LE price is $30 plus shipping.  Brownell's is also selling their version of the mad flip up buis fo $80 discount is $65 plus shipping.  I personally wouldn't want jsut an E O tech.  I'd buy the iron sghts first, then after I got used to using irons I might get a E O tech or other type of optic  Murphy always has a way o showing up on the street.  With god eyes it comes down to the  shooter's skill and tatics more than any gizmo you add to your wepon.  I'd rather face a novice who had all the expensive gadgits as to someone that was well trained and motivated armed with a 22lr.  Just my 2 cents....................best advise is get good with what you have at hand and know it intimately.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I would use one with front post only

I also like Handguns with front sight only with Tritium
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top