Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2007 11:06:27 AM EDT
I am looking for some glass to put on a soon-to-be-mine DPMS LAR-308B. I would like to stay under $600 for the scope and rings. Would prefer to get a 3-9 or 4-12 variable type. I've always had Leupold glass on my rifles, but a quick check around the net puts most of their stuff out of my price range. So, any suggestions? I don't need the latest and greatest, but I would like to get something quality.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Nikon, and Burris are possible to find in that price range.  Also, the Bushnell Elite 4200, and 3200 series of scopes are quite nice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Have a Mk 4 Leupold, 3-9x PRSeries (I think) MilDot.  1" Dia tube, not the 30 mm on the balance of the Mk 4 Series.  Very satisfied with fit/finish and performance.  $489 from Midway.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#3]
skipsan, do you have Midway's part # on that scope...I was poking around their site, and couldn't find that one.   All of the Mk 4s they have seem to be considerably more $$ than that.  

I've been promising myself to break down and buy a Leupy one of these days, and the scope you have is perfect for what I'm looking for.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The Leopold Model # is 56870, Mk 4, 3-9X40mm PR.  It was also listed in SWFA's catalog at $489.  I just looked at both sites, as well as the Leupold site, and don't see the PR series listed. I bought mine new less than a year ago.  Looks like the line may have been discontinued.  According to their catalog (Leupold), it was their "economical solution for the small department's tactical needs...." or somethng to that effect.

You might try Midway/SWFA/Leupold direct next week to see if they have an orphan laying around.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
P.S.

Midway stock number was 141812, and UPC 3031756870. My purchase was made 9 months ago.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Bushnell Elite 4200, some of the best glass offered.

TG
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bushnell Elite 4200, some of the best glass offered.

TG

Here the scope pictures, the arrow in pictures is pointed at fence post.

Here is the view from the Bushnell Elite 3200 mil dot scope.

Doesnt get much better than that.

TG
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I plugged that part number in, and it has been discontinued by Manufacturer, unfortunately.    I will have to poke around and see what's comparable in the same price range.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Got curious and Googled: " Leupold MK 4 PR Rifle Scope" and found at least one source that claimed to have them available.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The PR series was their Mk4 Precision Rifle line, which was aimed at low-budget agencies.  The rest of them have better glass, I believe, but the 3-9x40 is essentially VX-II MultiCoat4 glass in a Mk4 style package with target turrets and such.  They don't go for nearly as much as the main MK4s, and I bought one recently on the EE for $325 with Mk4 rings.  This makes it just a bit more expensive than a VX-II.

They've dropped them from the 2007 lineup.

Here's a quote from their 2006 catalog:
www.leupold.com/resources/downloads/2006_Leupold_Tactical_Catalog.pdf

The Leupold Mark 4 Precision Rifle line-up was created so that even a force with a tight budget could outfit its officers with quality, dependable tactical optics. PR scopes pass the same tests for ruggedness and waterproofing as our LR/T, MR/T, and CQ/T scopes. They’re quite simply the best balance of price and performance you’ll find anywhere, so you don’t have to settle for anything less.

Precision adjustment – 1/4-MOA “click” windage and elevation adjustments with 15-MOA of adjustment for each revolution. Custom BDC target turrets – available from
the Leupold Custom Shop for the 3-9x40mm PR, 3.5-10x40mm PR, and 4.5-14x40mm PR Long Range scopes. See BDC dial
options on page 34.

Index Matched Lens System – available on the 3.5-10x40mm PR and 4.5-14x40mm
PR Long Range, it transmits the maximum amount of usable light to your eye, for
outstanding brightness, clarity, and contrast.
Multicoat 4® lens system – specially chosen lens coatings on the Mark 4 3-9x40mm PR
ensure brightness and clarity.  Impeccable sight picture – outstanding clarity and brightness for excellent low-light performance.
Solid construction – legendary Leupold ruggedness and absolute waterproof
integrity is built in.
Special Purpose Reticle – available on the Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm PR.
Multiple reticle options – Duplex, Fine Duplex, Mil Dot, or SPR reticles available.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nikon, and Burris are possible to find in that price range.  Also, the Bushnell Elite 4200, and 3200 series of scopes are quite nice.

I've had a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9 variable on my AR-10A4 for a couple of years now - it's a great scope for the money.

-Mark
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top