Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2007 9:42:47 AM EDT
I'm thinking about mounting a super sniper 16x or 20x on my new 20" stainless A-4.  This setup will be used for gophers and target work.  Does anybody have any experience with these?  I'm on a budget so I really can't afford more than $300 or $400 for an optic.  I also need a base of some sort.
Thanks,
Steve
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
A great optic for the money.  I had a 10x and 16x.  I learned the hard way however that I don't like fixed power.  
Inside 100 yards makes for a narrow, blurry sight picture even at 10x.  To each their own however

There are lots of Super Sniper threads here if you do a search.

If I had your decision to make, I'd look into the Bushnell Elite 4200 series or Burris Fullfield II series.  Variable powered optics are your friend . . .

As for bases, I think some sort of extended rail and a solid pair of rings is a good, inexpensive way to go.  I chose the RRA Scout Rail and Burris XTR rings.

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Several years ago I had a SS 10x atop a Bushmaster 24" Extra Heavy Varmint Barrel and the danged thing could out shoot me.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 16x and it is fine. I think the Bushnell 3200 10x mil-dot is a little better scope for less money.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Even though I don't care for mil-dot reticles.. the Bushnell is a great piece of glass for the $$$
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Even though I don't care for mil-dot reticles.. the Bushnell is a great piece of glass for the $$$

Can you explain why is it that you don't care for Mil dot reticles?  I'm looking for a scope right now, and have never bought a Mil dot, but thought I might like one as it would provide a convenient way for quickly estimating an aiming point at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Do yourself a favor and ask around to see if anybody has a super sniper you can look through outdoors. I know alot of people like them, but I don't. I have one and still use it but the first chance I get to upgrade to a variable Nikon, it's on EBAY. The optics suck, not crisp at all. I have fiddled around with the thing alot to try to get it focused and no go. I can shoot moa with it but it takes alot of concentration and squinting my ass off to do it, especially on hot sunny days.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Alright,  I have a couple more questions.   How is the glass on the 10x bushnell?  Do you think that the 10x bushnell would make a decent gopher scope, or should I use something more powerfull?  How about the 4-12x40 bushnell 3200?  Also, Bushnell has a 5-15x40 elite 3200.   I have a set of leupold QRW high rings.  The back of the package says something about cross-slot, but they seem to fit on my flat-top ok.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Any suggestions?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top