Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 5:23:04 PM EDT
I am in the process of looking for a reliable optic for my trunk gun. It is a KelTec Su16c with a flat top. Something that is durable and reliable while economical.

I have Eotechs and Aimpoints on my AR's and like them both. I don't want to have alot of money tied up in this optic due to the fact that is will be in my truck box most of the time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
In my and one of my buddy's experience, NC Star far outperforms its price range. I have a NC Star red dot ($30) on my Buckmark .22 and Ive tagged gopher targets at 100 meters with it. My buddy has a small NC star scope ($70) on his AR and is very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
NCstars do fine, but I'd use it as a range sight/varmint hunting only. Key term here is "reliability". I have a 3x9x42 NCstar scope for my AR, but I wouldn't trust my life to it. I've heard about some durability issues with them.

If it's a trunk gun, whats wrong with Irons? There's reliabiliy
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Key term here is "reliability".

If it's a trunk gun, whats wrong with Irons? There's reliabiliy

"Trunk gun reliability" and "mounted optics" are mutually exclusive terms.  A weapon being banged around for weeks and months between uses MUST have irons for the primary sighting system.  And seriously, what kind of impromptu sniping session does one anticipate using a trunk gun for in the first place?!

While being field tested coast to coast for the last 26 years, my truck gun has stayed zero'd and will still place all shots MOZ past 100 yards using generic M193 style reloads.  OTOH, my EOTech has "rewarded" me with dead batteries at least twice in the last year, which would truly suck if I had needed to take a shot "right then".  Irons will ALWAYS work, right from the trunk...

Paladin

ps, last week we encountered the biggest damn bull I've ever seen in my life.  "the size of my GMC Jimmy", or so it appeared when my dog jumped out of the truck window and stood in the road gawking at him.  as I carefully exitted and retrieved "Shadow" the one thing running over and over in my mind was "DAMN, I NEED A BIGGER GUN!".  fortunately we did NOT need to find out how feeble 5.56 would have been against an ill tempered and extremely large beast.  and remember...NEVER get off the boat truck!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top