Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 7:52:45 AM EDT
Hey guys, I was going to buy an 6.5mm Grendel upper reciever for my AR and use it for long range shooting practice, and was wondering what scopes you have had good experiences with for those longer ranges.  Im looking for a scope thats durable, looks sexy, a good field of view, and easy to use.  Thanks.

-Defender of the universe

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact Mike from CSGunworks.  He will help you out.  Give him the price range and he'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think the Shepherds look sexy but I do think they would work well.  

The USO 1.8-10x with custom BDC is a good option but will take months to ship.  

Maybe a Leupold M1LR tactical 4-14x50mm would be another good idea.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#3]
How about ATN 8-24x75 scope?

Pics of mine here
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
"IT IS NO ACCIDENT THAT NIGHTFORCE JUST WON THE 7,700 SCOPE CONTRACT WITH SOCOM."

My guess would be it's cheaper than USO, more readilly availible, and offers similar glass quality.  

Just looking at both scopes I would say the USO is the only one that really belongs on a combat rifle but as long as the scope doesn't see hienous abuse it will fare well.  

The Seals were in Samarra for a few days and they had nightforce optics on their KAC rifles.  

You get a lighter scope with the NSX you get a tougher scope through USO.  Light is better until it's broken.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking something shorter, like the one here...  

www.usoptics.com/sub_pages/scope_model.php?recordID=4

I hope that link works.  I think something up to 5 or 6x magnification would be fine.  Im no sniper, not yet anyways :)  So I doubt I would need a 10x magnification.  I guess up to 600 or 700 yards would be a good range to be able to shoot out.  Forget I said 1000.  

Thanks for the replies and the pic especially.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm no optics expert, but I don't think 10X is overkill for up to 700 yard shooting, unless you plan to do most of your shooting closer in (100-250 or so) with the occasional longer distance shooting.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I find at 300-400 yards I wish I had a little more than 10X magnification for precision shooting. I dont think 10X for 700 yards is overkill either.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I had an ATN 3-9 back in the day.  Wasn't too impressed and sold it.  Keep checking around, and you may be able to find a Nightforce for under $1000.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:40:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey guys, I was going to buy an 6.5mm Grendel upper reciever for my AR and use it for long range shooting practice, and was wondering what scopes you have had good experiences with for those longer ranges.  Im looking for a scope thats durable, looks sexy, a good field of view, and easy to use.  Thanks.

-Defender of the universe

What will you be shooting at?

I say FIXED 10x mil-dot scope. Works for US military snipers, should work for you. 20x scopes are stupid unless you are doing some serious long range varminting, and I don't think that's what you're doing given the rifle and caliber you chose.

For anything 600 yards and less, I'd say 4x fixed is best. The 10x is perfect for out to 1000 yards and everything in between and even a bit futher. Being 10x, doing math is EASY. Unless you get a range-finding reticle in a 4x or 6x.

I am assuming you are looking to shoot or hit human-size targets? If so, 10x is the ticket. Anything more is just wasting FOV.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:13:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I just wanted to practice hitting man sized targets out to 6 or 700 yards.  I figure when I join the marines I wont be expected to hit out any further than that without getting some special training and equipment.  I am going to be infantry/rifleman.  I saw some of the troops using these smaller scopes with like 3x or 4x magnification I think.  I think they are called ACOGs or something.  How about those?  I can hit out to 300 on iron sights just fine, so with a 3/4/5x mag I think I would be ok to shoot out to 600 or 700 right?  I dont know much about long range shooting, except it gets harder the longer it is :)

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top